Little treasures

Name
Julie
Edit My Images
Yes
Can you all let me know what I could have been done to make this shot better. I am really trying to improve in this area. This is my neice once again. One of my favorite models. :)

Kyleighballoon1.jpg

Jewel

Hi Jewel, it's a nice pic but the foreground is fairly distracting and I think it would be better if you'd filled the frame with her head and hands so very little background was showing and none of the foreground.

Hi jewel.

I'm inclined to agree with Adrian.
The foreground is too bright and vivid, and as a result is too distracting. Also, the fact that your neice's head and hands (the focal points of the picture) haven't filled the frame, add to the distraction.

If you had filled the frame then the foreground wouldn't have been so distracting.

Nevertheless a good, well timed and natural looking pose. It seems well lit to me, not too many harsh shadows, and nothing overblown and too bright on the face.

The only other thing I would suggest is her denim sleeve seems to be protruding a little too much, almost to the point of distraction, as it has broken up the view of her face, a 'rejiggle' of the arm and sleeve at the time of shooting would have prevented that :)

Cute kid by the way :)

I agree - that foreground wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't quite so colourful. It's very good though jewel, you're showing major improvement.:thumb:

There may be a crop there to improve things? Have a play. :)

Ok, I cropped a bit off the bottom. I left just enough so you could see she was leaning on something. Basically got rid of the blown out part. Does this look better, not as distracting? As far as filling in the frame, I am told this alot, and I am aware of it and know I should, I find that the pics tend to all look the same. How do you change it up so all the shots don't look the same if you fill in the frame with just the face. I sometimes like the background in the pic as well. Is that wrong?

http://www.thephotographyforums.com/albums/album15/KyleighCheshire.jpg
KyleighCheshire.jpg

Jewel

Much much better. It's amazing what a little crop can do to a shot :)

I think that is vey good Jewel. Very natural looking.

jewel said:
As far as filling in the frame, I am told this alot, and I am aware of it and know I should, I find that the pics tend to all look the same. How do you change it up so all the shots don't look the same if you fill in the frame with just the face. I sometimes like the background in the pic as well. Is that wrong?

Jewel

Is it Arkady who's sig says.. If your pics are no good you're not close enough! It's not to be taken too literally, and of course there's nothing wrong with showing some background, but it's a common fault with novices in that they don't fill the frame with their subject when they can and probably should, although like every other rule/ guideline, nothing is carved in stone Jewel.

Your pics don't all look the same unless you're lacking a little imagination in posing your subjects and selecting a viewpoint. ;)

Back