Live histogram preview on Nikon DSLRs

Edit My Images
No
I was watching a video on YouTube where the photographer was shooting a landscape using a Nikon DSLR - I think it was a D800 - and he was able to see the histogram for the scene on his screen.
But more than that, the histogram changed in real time as he changed his settings, and it struck me as a fabulous feature to have to avoid clipping your exposure.
Later this year I will be upgrading from a humble old Nikon D5100, and I wondered which of the Nikons, full-frame or cropped sensor, has this feature?
TIA, Steve

I know the D750 / D800 / D810 have live histograms, but not sure on APS-C cameras.

Unless I'm being very thick, which is quite possible, the D5100 only has post-shot histograms. I am liking the look of the D750 as a potential replacement. £2000 doesn't hurt too much if you say it quickly [emoji16]

Looking at some of the manuals I have to hand: the D500 can do histograms in the live view display; the D5500 can't (and therefore the D5100 can't); the D7200 can't either. So it looks like the D500 is the only DX camera that can.

Looking at some of the manuals I have to hand: the D500 can do histograms in the live view display; the D5500 can't (and therefore the D5100 can't); the D7200 can't either. So it looks like the D500 is the only DX camera that can.
Thanks Stewart, I was fairly sure the D5XXX models couldn't. Pity about the 7200 though, nice camera and available at a good price. Oh well, full frame it is then.

In view histograms are wonderful and together with the ability to be able to boost the shadows of shots taken with modern cameras without a disastrous noise increase make capturing high dynamic range scenes without bracketing a lot easier.

In view histograms are wonderful and together with the ability to be able to boost the shadows of shots taken with modern cameras without a disastrous noise increase make capturing high dynamic range scenes without bracketing a lot easier.
That's what I thunk [emoji3] I should add, it wasn't the ONLY reason I was planning on upgrading

Unless I'm being very thick, which is quite possible, the D5100 only has post-shot histograms. I am liking the look of the D750 as a potential replacement. £2000 doesn't hurt too much if you say it quickly [emoji16]
You'll be getting ripped off if you pay £2k for a D750 :p

Quick Google, and Wex, Park and Clifton Cameras all quote £2,099 for a D750 with 24-85mm lens [emoji50]

Interesting feature - that I won't ever bother to use

I really don't see the interest in histograms at all. Each to their own way of doing stuff eh :)

Dave

But then you're a blinkies man Dave - and I have to say, so am I. Nothing else needed or wanted.

Can't say I never look at the histogram, but only out of 'interest' really. I never do anything different as a result, perhaps because I've already maxxed out the exposure using blinkies!

Yep, saw those but hadn't heard of them, whereas the three I quoted are very well known stores. I'll shop around when the time comes [emoji6]
Panamo and HDEW are highly regarded, but are grey importers hence why they're much cheaper. I've used Panamoz and very happy with their service.

Histograms are useful reference tools, in fact they are the only reliable source of checking the image when you're out in the field. We all know how the screen can be misleading due to sunlight etc shining on it, and I'm sure we've all take an image that we thought looked good on the screen at the time only to find when we've loaded it onto the computer it's under/overexposed. In fact the only correct way to check the screen is in a dark room (same for when you're editing too). For the record I rarely follow these rules, and often find shade to review the image on the LCD when out and about. I do double check the histogram sometimes though, especially in high contrast scenes ;)

But then you're a blinkies man Dave - and I have to say, so am I. Nothing else needed or wanted.

Can't say I never look at the histogram, but only out of 'interest' really. I never do anything different as a result, perhaps because I've already maxxed out the exposure using blinkies!

Yup, Blinkies all the way :)

For blown areas all the histogram does is show you that you may have some, not where they are or even then allowing you to decide if where they are matters. Its just pointless info

Dave

Oh yeah I can't believe I thought it was so complicated [emoji42]

A hint of sarcasm? lol

My bad if not :)

For what it matters, I totes agree they are pretty easy to understand, but I just don't see them being useful. Even in the examples given showing what an overexposed histogram looks like it doesn't tell me where the blown areas are, nor can it tell me whether it matters or not, and in many cases it doesn't at all - hence pointless info

Dave

A hint of sarcasm? lol

My bad if not :)

For what it matters, I totes agree they are pretty easy to understand, but I just don't see them being useful. Even in the examples given showing what an overexposed histogram looks like it doesn't tell me where the blown areas are, nor can it tell me whether it matters or not, and in many cases it doesn't at all - hence pointless info

Dave
Moi sarcastic never [emoji6] Haha.

Whether it's I don't shoot landscapes so habe no interest in it.
As I find it hard enough to shoot wildlife and transport as it is let alone worrying what that graph says

Yup, Blinkies all the way :)

For blown areas all the histogram does is show you that you may have some, not where they are or even then allowing you to decide if where they are matters. Its just pointless info

Dave

Pretty much :)

The only time I'm interested in the histogram is with a low-key subject or with a lot to see in shadowy areas. That's what ETTR is for, and blinkies is what you really need to play that game safely, but I'll then check the histogram to see if that big black lump has dragged its butt off the left-hand edge.

At that stage there's often not much I can do about it on the exposure front, but depending on the subject, I might add some light with flash or a reflector etc.

Pretty much :)

The only time I'm interested in the histogram is with a low-key subject or with a lot to see in shadowy areas. That's what ETTR is for, and blinkies is what you really need to play that game safely, but I'll then check the histogram to see if that big black lump has dragged its butt off the left-hand edge.

At that stage there's often not much I can do about it on the exposure front, but depending on the subject, I might add some light with flash or a reflector etc.

Or if its really that bad of a black lump, I may bracket and blend. Flashing far distant hills needs more power than I have :)

Dave

Or if its really that bad of a black lump, I may bracket and blend. Flashing far distant hills needs more power than I have :)

Dave

where would I find this feature in my fx Nikons? ive not heard of it before

Back