Live histogram preview on Nikon DSLRs

I was watching a video on YouTube where the photographer was shooting a landscape using a Nikon DSLR - I think it was a D800 - and he was able to see the histogram for the scene on his screen.
But more than that, the histogram changed in real time as he changed his settings, and it struck me as a fabulous feature to have to avoid clipping your exposure.
Later this year I will be upgrading from a humble old Nikon D5100, and I wondered which of the Nikons, full-frame or cropped sensor, has this feature?
TIA, Steve

Devil's advocate.. are you wedded to Nikon? The mirrorless EVF-based cameras (Sony, Fuji, Panasonic, Olympus) can all do this and in the viewfinder too.

Devil's advocate.. are you wedded to Nikon? The mirrorless EVF-based cameras (Sony, Fuji, Panasonic, Olympus) can all do this and in the viewfinder too.
Only in the sense that that's what I've always shot. I do own a Fuji X30 for street work, and I love it, and the XT-2 appeals greatly, but I hadn't considered mirrorless for landscape and nature work. In summer I do a lot of macro shots with a 90mm f2.8 lens, and haven't yet found a mirrorless system that has a great macro lens. It's certainly food for thought, thanks.

Last edited:
where would I find this feature in my fx Nikons? ive not heard of it before
Which feature? Are we still talking about the Histogram in Live View?

If your FX Nikons are the D600 and D700 as specified in your user profile, then the answer is "nowhere". The only FX Nikons which have this feature are the D3/4/5 series, D800/810, and D750.

Only in the sense that that's what I've always shot. I do own a Fuji X30 for street work, and I love it, and the XT-2 appeals greatly, but I hadn't considered mirrorless for landscape and nature work. In summer I do a lot of macro shots with a 90mm f2.8 lens, and haven't yet found a mirrorless system that has a great macro lens. It's certainly food for thought, thanks.

I have an Oly E-M5 (as well as a D750). The 60mm f2.8 macro lens is very highly regarded but I've never used it. The 5 axis stabilisation would be a bonus for hand-held macro, too.

Macro is often manual and there are nice manual macro lenses (I have a nice 50mm f2.8 1:1 macro) plus you can adapt pretty much any lens ever made to some of the mirrorless systems, the Sony full frame FE for example which can use any of the excellent Sigma macros such as the 150mm f2.8 and the Sony FE system also has the excellent native AF 90mm f2.8 macro.

Back