Beginner Live view and viewfinder

Name
jason
Edit My Images
Yes
I've always been told to take photos using live view as the mirror is up and creates less vibration. However, the speed of the shot is drastically slower than taking the shot whilst looking through the viewfinder, which then has a knock on effect when taking shots of moving subjects. Why is this and is there any advice to improve this method?

Why is this and is there any advice to improve this method?

I see now way to improve the method.

I would recommend to use LiveView when tackling static
situations such as sceneries or long time exposures. For
any kind of "hunting" that requires fast action captures,
go with the ViewFinder.

Last edited:
I've always been told to take photos using live view as the mirror is up and creates less vibration. ..,
Why?
I do wonder why some take bad advice at face value and then question it later.

In 30 years I’ve shot maybe 30 frames with live view.

There are occasions when it’s useful, it really depends on the type of photographer you are.

Using a DSLR I assume? Live view is great for very controlled conditions, landscape, maybe studio, definitely video. For everything else, that's what the viewfinder is for.

The only time I use live view is when I use a TS-E lens, it is so much easier to focus and control the lens movements, other than that viewfinder

I use live view if I'm doing focus Stacking macro work on a tripod or if I'm doing closeup work using a tripod and the can't get my eye to the viewfinder and landscape on a tripod (so mainly only when the camera is on a tripod) Other than these situations I don't like live view, mainly for the reasons you state. Why buy a modern (or even not so modern) camera with their fairly fast af and not use it.
It does seem like a strange piece of advice you've been given.

Live view full time, I never use it at all. Its slow and it sucks

Thanks guys. So how much difference does it make using both methods with regards to mirror slap and vibration?

Thanks guys. So how much difference does it make using both methods with regards to mirror slap and vibration?

Not a lot!
As above, in normal use the viewfinder is more than adequate, not much point in having it otherwise!

1/15sec is usually the critical speed for mirror-slap with DSLRs, but your hands are one of the most effective devices for damping vibration (it can actually be worse on a tripod). Seriously, ignore that advice, at the kind of shutter speeds where it might be present to some very small extent, there are other more likely causes of blurred images, namely (hand) camera-shake. Image stabilisation can help too, but basically don't worry about it.

Photographers have been using cameras for over 100 years without live view.

Live view is great for some kinds of photography, but for most it’s just inconvenient.

As for sharpness, holding the camera at arms length will create more instability than mirror slap.

Handheld pics are always going to be more stable using the viewfinder. Holding the camera up to your eye with your elbows tucked in will decrease vibration far better than holding the camera in front of you, looking into the back screen while using live view.

If it’s on a tripod with a static subject, then live view can be useful, especially when using 10x magnification to manual focus.

Photographers have been using cameras for over 100 years without live view.
Thought-Provoking..... Has me wondering that the Single-Lens-Reflex mechanism is sort of an rather overly elaborate automation of the old 'plate' cameras with a ground-glass view-screen replaced manually by a photographic plate, and the fact that the original 118yr old Box-Brownie had NO view-Finder what-so-ever, and many film-cameras, right up until the end, had no through-taking-lens view-finder, if any at all! My 1950's Ziess Ikonta just has a wire-frame composition guide, and I have had little key-chain / Christmas cracker 110's that didn't have much different!

Slight tangent to the topic, though; the 'niggles' with Single-Lens-Reflex mechanism's are nothing new, and the 'mirror-slap' REALLY, isn't a big one! ISTR it was something that Hassablad made a big shout about many moons ago, because it was something they claimed to have 'solved' when it was noted 35mm SLR's of the chunkier construction might suffer it, and folk suggested would be an enormous problem on a camera with a 4.5cm sq mirror, rather than a 2.5cm Sq one. On a modern DSLR with a mirror half that size, it should be even more minor issue than it was on a 35mm SLR of years passed.... where it wasn't, really!

It only really effected things if the camera was rigidly mounted on a tripod, and the shutter released on a cable. Self-Timer mechanisms were often recommended for such situations, as they usually tripped the mirror before the shutter delay, hence the lag between the mirror moving and shutter opening gave time for any vibration to dissipate.

Over-all, the SLR mechanism is a complete-camel of design..... the only 'real' problems it solved, was that of parallax error, the small shift in angle of view between separate taking and view-finder lenses... which was only of much issue at very short subject ranges, and many view-finder cameras tackled with the expedience of 'parallax-correction' marks or frames in the view-finder. Other was that inconvenience of having to change view-finder, or view-finder frame, with the lens on an interchangeable lens camera, and in the case of Twin-Lens-Reflex cameras the need to make paired and hence expensive and bulky lens-sets, to swap, and lugg about.

In many ways the SLR mechanism, made MORE problems than it solved! To make room for a mirror and pentaprism between the taking lens and the focal-plane, begged a 'retro-focus' lens.. ie one that compensated for the fact that the mirror box pushed the lens mount, probably 25mm or more ahead of the focal-plane, so shorter focal-length lenses had to be mounted further from the focal-plane than their focal length, and hence introduced 'deliberate' optical errors in compensation and multiplied them in manufacture. This was something that made range-finder cameras popular with more discerning snappers for many many decades over more bulky and convoluted SLR's. The bulk of the pentaprism, the reliability of the mechanics, all added to the problems they made for the little they solved.

It's interesting now, in the digital era, to hear a lot of the Film-Era knockers arguments against SLR cameras being re-hashed and re-interpreted, often with significant repetition-distortion by the exponents of 'mirror-less' digital cameras, as cause for their supposed superiority!!!! This suggestion of 'mirror-slap' sounding eminently like one!

As has been said; its pretty much a non-issue, and in the balance of competing compromises, a pretty small one! The SLR system is flawed, no doubt about that, but on the whole, the advantages, for more people, in more situations, either made no odds or outweighed the short-comings; hence the poplularity of the SLR for the best part of the film-era and into the digital.

For me, the advantages of a wider range of available lenses, more widely available and more economically available, for the incumbent DSLR's, is certainly one of the top reasons for picking one. The advantage of a pure optical view-finder, not draining battery power, not using a view-screen to be ruined by 'glare', the demand I hold the camera 'properly' not at arms length, and so more positively, are all 'advantages' of a DSLR I appreciate, for all the minor quibbles and potential problems to ultimate IQ that really pale in comparison to my basic ability! And THOSE were the reasons I bought a DSLR... with a convoluted flappy-mirror periscope mechanism, making it more complicated and more expensive than mirror-less alternatives.... and I see little reason to habitually ignore that I actually 'paid' for that minor inconvenience to look at everything on the relatively low resolution LCD screen on the back, at arms length, rather than ruddy use the camel I paid for! It's like buying a camel to cross the desert, then walking because a horse is faster?!?!?

So.... have you ever actually suffered 'Mirror-Slap'?

If not, it's a bit like keeping an Elephant in your loft to stop the tigers getting in your garden!

I find Live View extremely useful for landscapes, not that often for much else unless I need an unusual angle and take advantage of the articulating screen....

When I'm using a tripod for my landscapes (about 85% of the time) I usually compose my landscape through the viewfinder as it isolates the scene more, with live view you can still see outside of the frame in your peripheral vision which I find distracting. I then switch to Live View and take advantage of the live histogram and the ability to magnify the focus point, the mirror being out of the way can make a difference to sharpness too on the higher resolution bodies, certainly did on my D800 although the D850 has improved on mirror slap so it's less of an issue now. The other advantage of using live view tripod mounted is the ability to move the focus point around whilst have the camera completely static, makes achieving critical DOF easier

Simon

Like many others here, I rarely use liveview and on the occasions when I do I generally use it for composition, mostly in awkward situations, or sometimes to take advantage of its zoom feature to check focus, and then I switch it off and take a photo normally.

In regards to you worrying about vibration, technically you are correct, but in practise it isn't sometime to worry about.
Speak to any professional photographer and you'll find that they have shot 100,000s of thousands of images using the optical viewfinder.

Back