Live-view - just a gimmick???

I guess that it depends on what you photograph. If you're taking pictures from within a crowd then being able to hold the camera above the heads of the people in front yet still be able to compose your shot then you need live-view.

I used it plenty of times on my old A70 compact and was quite surprised that my 400D doesn't have this feature and I've no doubt that there are going to be times when I'll miss it.

Can't say that I've even bothered to try and use it. I guess at some point, usually just when it gets critical, I will wish that I had!

Chris

never used it either, in fact I'd forgotten I could.

I had the LCD 'live-view' on the Fuji bridge cameras that I used but the problem with it is that outside in even fairly bright light you can't see well at all. The viewfinder on the Fuji's wasn't very good either but with the great viewfinder on your SLR I can't see the point in bothering with 'live-view'.

I use live view on my 40d when doing macro pictures from a tri-pod, very useful.

Also used it for landscapes on a tripod late evening on manual focus.

I can see that it might have a use, maybe on still life or macro with a tripod, even maybe landscapes if you've got the tripod in a strange position.

I can't say I've really ever used it, apart from messing about as I find it uncomfortable to use, it just doesn't "feel" right not looking through the viewfinder :)

Shooting over others' heads could work if you could see the screen, which (as said above) in bright light you can't easily and if held straight above for max height over heads, you can't see it then either

If the screen popped out & swivelled too, then maybe it'd be useful for over-heads shooting; and maybe that'd make it useful for macro work very close to the ground - as is on all DSLRs I've seen it with, I think it's a gimmick

DD

Have to agree it's gimmicky.. You'd never be able to lift it high enough to see over other peoples heads anyway Dave ;) :p

2 posts before the insults start? You slowing down in old age m8?

:LOL:

I have shot 'overhead' once before (for the reason Mattyh eludes to!) and found just pointing in the right direction works well enough anyway

DD

PS - to Mattyh - :razz::razz::razz:

I've used it for pack shots, useful when the client is present so they can see and adjust on the fly. Goes hand in hand with tethered shooting for instant feedback (y)

I've used it for pack shots, useful when the client is present so they can see and adjust on the fly. Goes hand in hand with tethered shooting for instant feedback (y)

Isn't that the same as just showing them the image you just shot on the camera's screen, but being able to hand it to them as a bonus?

Or if tethered, couldn't they just look through the viewfinder instead? Or better still see the image on the lappy?

Was it really 'useful' for this, or just different?

DD

Yes, its for people who buy a DSLR and then wonder why they can't see the image on the back screen.

I really want to say "dumbing down" here. But I won't... ;)

No it was really useful. We were lining up multiple products so they were spaced evenly, etc. which was a lot easier when looking at a large monitor than through the viewfinder.

Its useful for selling cameras to people who think its useful.
Presented with a dslr with live view and one without (brand loyalty aside), which one is you're average Jessops buyer gonna choose ?
I don't see a serious use for live view unless its viewed in real time on a monitor shooting tethered, and even that isn't essential.
For macro?, I can see it would allow you to be a foot further away from the viewfinder, which is helpful but not a deal breaker.
It is more gimmick than real life useful.

No it was really useful. We were lining up multiple products so they were spaced evenly, etc. which was a lot easier when looking at a large monitor than through the viewfinder.

ok - that's one strong 'tick' for it being useful then

(y)

DD

As a newbie, liveview wasn't a selling point to me.
For a quick review after taking my shots I like the idea.
I can see the potential use when I finally have a go at macro shots.

I've played with it and can see its uses, but only tripod based tbh. One question I have is does the screen show the full image vs the % image in the viewfinder? If it does then that's another plus surely?

I've seen several references that it's an advantage, or useful, for macro.....but I'm not sure how it differs from a viewfinder/anglefinder setup. Tripod based macro is easy enough through a viewfinder and if it's hand held then having your face against the camera offers one more stabilisng effect.

Am I missing something here ?

Bob

I bought my 40D with no intension of using live view tbh, but i've used it a good few times & personally, I like it a lot.

I use the view finder 99% of the time, but those few times where I've not been able to get to the view finder, it's come in handy.

I'm only 5ft 5, and I came across a shot I wanted a few weeks ago which needed to be taken with my tripod fully extended, due to a high fense. When my tripods fully extended, and the cameras on it, I struggle to see the view finder (usually have to balance on my tip toes = uncomfortable). A quick flick onto live view mode & I was comfortably able to compose and take the photo with no problems.

I've never tried an slr with liveview so I have nothing to compare it to though. But maybe the macro shot situation would benefit from it.

When I do static car shots with my D50 I'm often laying on the floor just to be able to look through the veiwfinder so I guess it would be easier with the live view.

I've seen several references that it's an advantage, or useful, for macro.....
[snip]
Am I missing something here ?

I guess it's the 10x mag for fine tuning the focus that is the real advantage for macro :shrug:

I've tried if for macro and its a waste of time you cant hand hold and when mounted on a tripod at 10X mag and 1:1 you try to adjust the focus or anything you just get a blurred mess on the screen, but is good when you shoot on a tripod tethered to a laptop and you use the laptop to adjust all settings.

I've tried if for macro and its a waste of time you cant hand hold and when mounted on a tripod at 10X mag and 1:1 you try to adjust the focus or anything you just get a blurred mess on the screen, but is good when you shoot on a tripod tethered to a laptop and you use the laptop to adjust all settings.

i always use it on the laptop when indoors, just *** its cool :geek:

Shooting over others' heads could work if you could see the screen, which (as said above) in bright light you can't easily and if held straight above for max height over heads, you can't see it then either

If the screen popped out & swivelled too, then maybe it'd be useful for over-heads shooting; and maybe that'd make it useful for macro work very close to the ground - as is on all DSLRs I've seen it with, I think it's a gimmick

DD
Except on the E-3 Dave, as this has an articulated screen where the Live-View can be seen by rotating the screen to any angle when taking photos above others heads...:)

Ta Dave... even so... I haven't used it too often to be honest, except with the 5x, 7x and 10x view when I am trying to get the focus spot-on for Macro shots.

I have tried using it recently with my Opticron bird spotting scope for the same function (focus accuracy), but don't have the best adapter/set up just yet for the scope - need to get the correct one (for Opticron) before I get any decent shots.

I may not be as clever or experienced as some of you but photography and the way one goes about it is an art form wether for personal or public viewing. It shouldn't matter how the photo is obtained as long as a desired result is obtained and if that means in a crowd using my vertical tilting screen poked up into the air on a monopod and using a remote control to fire a sucessions of shots that might pick up just one shot wanted then so be it. Not all of are lucky enough to get passes or front row positions and id just hate to miss what could be a once in a lifetime photo.

PS I do love using a viewfinder myself, that's what you call real photography.

10 years ago called, they want their argument back ...

All this digital nonsense ... it's just a gimmick to make things easier for the peasants who don't understand proper photography.

:D

I may not be as clever or experienced as some of you but photography and the way one goes about it is an art form wether for personal or public viewing. It shouldn't matter how the photo is obtained as long as a desired result is obtained and if that means in a crowd using my vertical tilting screen poked up into the air on a monopod and using a remote control to fire a sucessions of shots that might pick up just one shot wanted then so be it. Not all of are lucky enough to get passes or front row positions and id just hate to miss what could be a once in a lifetime photo.

PS I do love using a viewfinder myself, that's what you call real photography.

I think you missed the point - which was that without being able to tilt/rotate the screen it's pointless (apart from macro work it seems)

There's nothing wrong or not 'real' photography about using a camera that can tilt/rotate a liveview screen up on a monopod with a remote - it's still photography, in fact, quite ingeniously so too

:clap:

DD

I agree about the macro use... Ii have tested it out and manually focused in the viewfinder and every time i have then gone into liveview and magnified it by 5 or 10x.. i am WAY out with the focus. It is really good to use if for focusing.

Also if you go into the liveview settings you can set it so the liveview shows you exposure simulation... you can see how the outcome will look (ie, over or under exposed) that may be helpful to some folk. (y)

I'm looking forward to the "focus it after you've taken the shot" option.

that will be, the absolute end.

:|

I'm looking forward to the "focus it after you've taken the shot" option.

that will be, the absolute end.

:|

I disagree

I reckon the 'absolute end' is when the camera analyses the shot and uses GPS to tells you where to put it for better composition, and why using a different aperture/shutter speed combo would give a better result for the subject matter. There'll also be a time of day & time of year function that assesses when the best light is likely to be available, and a weather measure to decide on preferable cloud type

Until then, all 'auto' features will simply mean less wasted shots - but once they arrive, they'll be no point shooting them anyway

:(

DD

I just got this vision of photography, disappearing up its own arse..:LOL:

As I was writing my previous post, I remembered the "focus after the shot" camera, already exists

plenotopic

:(

I use live view when doing nature/birding/wildlife togging - camera on tripod, cable release, prefocussed on branch/area. I find it easier to get accurate focus using the 5X or 10X option,and then revert back to 1X for viewing/composing. I then do not have to wait with my eye pressed to the viewfinder for the subject/composition to be right, and there is less risk of camera shake/movement as I am not touching it !

Back