Llandwyn - sunset or sunrise? Car park?

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Off to Anglesey next week with the family and I’ll probably get some time to myself for a spot of photography. Thinking of trying Llandwyn lighthouse near to Newborough beach. Is it best at sunrise or sunset down there?

Also is there a car park nearer than the one at Newborough?

Anything else I should consider?

Cheers

Penmon Lighthouse is great for sunsets.

South Stack is worth a look too but it's steep there. either up to the top or down the stairs to the lighthouse.

Not been to Newborough sorry.

Both names are familiar - I think the lodge we are in is nearer to Newborough but it’s not as if it’s massive Anglesey so a relatively short drive to elsewhere on the island
Cheers will check out

The nearest carpark is accessed from the middle of Newborough village and is clearly signed. It's a £4 (I think - we've a season ticket) entry via the most remarkably ugly bit of institutional overkill. From the large carpark at the beach (toilets) it's about 2-2 1/2 km to the lighthouse. You need lowish tide to get to the island (though wading is safe!) which may dictate whether you get sunrise or sunset. Currently the sun will set over the sea, not behind any land. The views, both to the central Snowdonia mountains, and the Gyrn Ddu/Yr Eifl groups are superb. The small beach to the south of the lighthouse can give a good foreground too, And there's a bonus - the rock of much of the island (and beach) is pillow lava, amazing stuff.

One possible problem - the ugly entry to the main car park cannot be passed unless it is manned - which may not be early enough for sunrise. A quick check of the NRW website doesn't yield opening times. Exit can be done anywhen. There are other ways in, but all involve substantially more walking.

Last time I was there the checkpoint lady said that after dark the road was open to all, free of charge. Suppose that means doggers galore!

Don't forget to check your Tide Times.

Its not called Landywn Island for nothing :D

Yep £4 for car park, and check it's open before going and do keep an eye on the tides, as we almost got cut off a few weeks ago. 10 meter gap to get through as the water lapped round the island!!!

Good walk out, easy if you go through woods and a few compositions to be found on the walk to the island as well.

Sunrise and you'll have light on the front of the light house, sunset if you want colors in the sky behind the lighthouse.

We got back to car park well after sunset and the "out" barrier was left up. The "in" barrier was down. If I remember correctly there were metal bars on the ground(cannot remember what they're called) stopping people from driving in via the out gate.

Pretty much what everyone else has said!! Have a good time

We got back to car park well after sunset and the "out" barrier was left up. The "in" barrier was down. If I remember correctly there were metal bars on the ground(cannot remember what they're called) stopping people from driving in via the out gate.

Pretty much what everyone else has said!! Have a good time

Not quite - two people above said that the way in was open after dark - you are saying it wasn't.

Likewise to above,I have never had a problem entering the carpark after hours on many visits.

Last edited:
Cheers - I cocked that right up then :D as it turned into a 5 mile walk just there...

Ok so I was up there tonight. I got the car park in the forest at about 4pm. The barrier was manned however they didn’t charge me the usual £4 due to the time. When I left the barriers were both up.

Anyway once you go through the gate, keep going straight until you get to the car park by the beach (has a toilet building in it). From there it was about a 45 min walk to the lighthouse. I left at about 615pm by this time it was pretty dark, so torches are a must

Just returned - decided to do the sunrise! Gates open at 6.15am when I arrived. Drove to main car park, only vehicle there. Got to location after a 30-40 min meander up the beach to the island. Lost my head torch, but otherwise it was a successful trip. Forecast has changed for this evening so glad I made the decision to get out of bed early and be there to watch the light change. Images to follow.....

Just returned - decided to do the sunrise! Gates open at 6.15am when I arrived. Drove to main car park, only vehicle there. Got to location after a 30-40 min meander up the beach to the island. Lost my head torch, but otherwise it was a successful trip. Forecast has changed for this evening so glad I made the decision to get out of bed early and be there to watch the light change. Images to follow.....

Look forward to seeing your photos, the gates where still open at 1am this morning when I left so doubt they got closed ;) bummer with the head torch but hope the pictures make up for it

Back