Local landscape pics - Please be brutal!

Name
Sara
Edit My Images
Yes
Not the sort of picture I would normally take, but trying to work on landscape type shots. Here's 3 different pics of a local lanscape shot. Would welcome thoughts on improvement for these, composition and processing.

1)

3701520103_6fc0cdc214_o.jpg

2)

3701518803_b72199e26a_o.jpg

3)

3702325034_27cda71ded_o.jpg

very nice composition in 1 but for me a tad overprocessed - the colours of no work better.

no 2 i would b inclined to crop a tad off the top border and a some off the bottom border

no 3 like the colours here but the composition doesn't work for me.

No 1 has something - mainly the bridge and colours on other side, shame about all the grass is the foreground

They just dont do it for me sara... sory....

I just think you could have found better angles to take that bridge from... maybe got closser in... more foreground interest... as the grass in 1 is not really a focal point...

I feel the same if not as strong about the second shot...

I think you may have got a good pic from that far away bank you see in this shot...

Also it's the middle of the day... and i'm slowly learning that you get good landscapes at the middle of the day... but rarely great ones...

On the up side... all sharp so no basic errors going on...

Sorry feel really critical there... but composition wise they just dont do it for me!

Is that Stowe Gardens?

#1 - colours are a little too rich for the overcast conditions - slight HDR? Reflection is nice, but the foreground grass isn't really interesting enough - perhaps a shot from much closer to the bridge, using it as the main foreground, with the path leading away up to the second building, may have worked better?

#2 - suffers from a similar composition problem with the grass, although the leaning tree adds some interest, and the sky has done you a few more favours. Having had a very quick play with it, a mono conversion with some harder processing, and a tighter crop bottom left makes for a moody version, which I can post if you like :)

#3 - colours are nice in the grass, and the tower, and the sky too, but there's not really enough in the frame to hold the eye for long. I might've opted for a wide angle, distorted shot of the tower with some of the contrasty sky behind.

Overall, though, exposures are good, shots are sharp. Landscapes, as I'm still learning, are nearly always dominated by the light: warm/cold, time of day etc.

Thanks for your help folks - I asked for brutality and you were all very nice!! Have taken it all on board so appreciate your time and efforts (y)

I did HDR the first as the photo was taken at about 2000hrs and it was overcast and gloomy. I will work on this later in the year or when that damn grass has been cut - It's waist high at the moment!

Yes it is Stowe Mark - My new lens coupled with my National Trust membership will make for more shots I am sure!!!

These are first shots with a UWA, so have to play a little with it and the effect I get (y)

Also it's the middle of the day...

Exif says just before 8pm and the shadows created by the trees on the far right in #1 suggest it's definitey not midday.

Have to agree that they're not really doing it for me either though. Unfortunately I'm not knowledgable enough to tell you why though. I remember getting a comment on one of my shots before that could be applied to #3 - that because of the low viewpoint the elements of the pic are disassociated, so you don't get drawn into the landscape.

Hi Swag
The first looks a fairly classic shot. Colours, as posters say are not right. Have another play with the HDR or forget HDR and just play around with saturation,contrast etc.
Maybe would have worked better if you'd moved right down to the river bank and shot from as low as poss.
No2 looks fairly good. Possibly would have had a little more impact if you'd taken it slightly more to left. The bit of tree to right, I feel would not be in shot, leaving just the lower left which would look more complete (bush like).
No3
Colours look a little off. The trees are pulling me away from the structure.

Back