Beginner Location, location, location

Name
James White
Edit My Images
No
Hey :)

I'm just starting to get into photography more seriously and I was wondering how you guys found good places to take pictures? Do you just go to random places and see if anything inspires you or do some research beforehand, looking at maps/flickr or something else perhaps?

Last edited:

Photography is part of your life… so live with it!
Sometimes I like to go image hunting: no destination, no time limit no special
interest… just an opened mind and a sharp eye.
Other times I will go for a specific theme: wildlife, landscapes, macro etc
Whatever, just have fun!

Sometimes it is places where life, and vacations, takes me.
Sometimes it is planned, especially the dawn coastal shoots, classical music concerts and motor sport events.
I almost always have a camera with me, however you do not need a camera to "see" photographs and "moments".

I would say a combination of both. Carry camera , look for opportunities, but if i'm going on hols then i'll probably have a search on flickr to see what there might be in the vicinity and then maybe a review on tpe site.

Ultimately though its you and your eye searching for the image and sometimes the least likely places offer up great images once you've framed it up

For me it's travel and architecture, so I tend to take a camera whenever I'm away from home overnight. I'll usually try and pick places to visit that might yield good shots, then once i'm there try and walk around with my "photography hat" on. Of course once you're in that habit it gets tough to switch that off when you don't have a camera with you.

As above, sometimes planned, sometimes a shot presents itself. When it is planned I use OS maps (both online and paper) and TPE (http://photoephemeris.com/) and sometimes, if it is an area I feel I don't know enough about, or can't get what I want from a map, I'll have a look at this site - http://www.geograph.org.uk/. Google street maps can be useful too.

Dave

It depends what photography you're into too. Landscapes are always there so planning can make a massive difference in getting good shots... sun position, time of year, tide position and obviously weather conditions. There's lots of useful resources around like TPE and other PC & phone aps. There's an increasing number of location guidebooks being published too ;-)

Simon

Both. Sometimes I'll go for a walk and see if anything inspires me, but I would say more often I kind of plan where I'm going. Unfortunately my free time is extremely limited so I rarely get chance to recce a place before I go. Sometimes I do search on flickr for my local area (lucky enough to live in the Peak District) and I'll see a specific place that I fancy going to look at.

Alternatively I go to an event or park so I know the kinds of things I'll be shooting and can choose the lens accordingly.

Last edited:
Hey :)

I'm just starting to get into photography more seriously and I was wondering how you guys found good places to take pictures? Do you just go to random places and see if anything inspires you or do some research beforehand, looking at maps/flickr or something else perhaps?

I book a studio or choose a location appropriate to the theme of the shoot :)

More usefully..whatever sort of photography you're into it really helps to have a plan and if you don't have a plan, at least have an idea of what you might shoot and why. Otherwise you're likely to run out of ideas and get frustrated.

Back