Scotland Locations in Scotland

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
My wife is riding Lands End to John O’Groats in September and I’m driving up to pick her up mid afternoon on the Sunday.

I was thinking of leaving Lancashire on Saturday morning then either:
* Stopping somewhere 3-4 hours away from John O’Groats on Saturday afternoon for some wildlife photography
* Getting close to John O’Groats and doing some sea birds on the coast near there on Sunday morning

Anyone got any good suggestions as to what my options for locations might be and what I might see there?

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks
Paul

I live in Orkney and every time I drive south I see some bird of prey on the way. Usually in the first 30 minutes after taking the ferry That's not a big help but maybe something to look into.

In John O'Groats there is a tourist boat to see wildlife, I did it once and I was pretty unimpressed. Better of finding a nice coastal walk or you have to be the luckiest person on earth to see something exiting aboard a big boat like this.

Often see common seals near dornoch bridge.

Also a tiny off the A9 in cromarty there is often dolphin.

Just a few idea that can be looked into more details

Another vote for Chanonry Point near Fortrose, on the Black Isle just north of Inverness.
High tide for Dolphins.

Channonry point if timed with a high tide
Another vote for Chanonry Point near Fortrose, on the Black Isle just north of Inverness.
High tide for Dolphins.
Agreed this is a possible, but the website isn't suggesting high tide being the best. https://www.moraydolphins.co.uk/chanonry-point.html
Dolphin activity here is influenced by tidal conditions. Dolphins at Chanonry Point can be seen at anytime (and not at all!) but the best time to see them is usually on a rising tide. From around 1 hour after low tide, the tide turns and dolphins start to chase fish in. This means if you know tide times for a particular day, you can work out the best time to see dolphins at Chanonry Point. There is no guarantee of seeing dolphins but you can maximise your chances.

I went a couple of times and sat there for hours, both times they showed best in the hour before high tide. But as it says any time is a possiblity

Thanks for this.

Just looking at the tides for the Sunday, low tide is 10:30AM and high tide at 5:00PM, so I would probably be right in the middle. Might still be worth a look though.

Thanks for this.

Just looking at the tides for the Sunday, low tide is 10:30AM and high tide at 5:00PM, so I would probably be right in the middle. Might still be worth a look though.
That's the right side of the high tide though, as it's rising at that point... I'd go for it!

There are usually red deer visible from the A897 Melvich to Helmsdale road. And Golden Eagle, if you’re lucky....

If it's 3-4 hours from john o'groats

There's a public hide with a good set up on the lochan at the north end of Boat of Garten ( 5 mins form Aviemore). It's around the grey pin immediately north of the red pin below

1615746191413.png

Neil Mackintyre, https://www.neilmcintyre.com/ , has some hides for red squirrels at Rothiemurchus and has a setup for crested tits and other woodloand biords at Rothiemurchus , also near Aviemore

James Roddie has a set up at the Black Isle, not far from CHanonry and does similar sessions plus daytime pine marten. Indicates only to and August but probably worth speaking to him

September probably 4-6 weeks too early for th crested tits

I'd email them both and see what they would suggest for the area.

Back