Non UK locations in the alps

Name
phil
Edit My Images
No
Ok, well as it stands next week me and 2 friends should be spending a week on skye for a bit of climbing, photography and walking but the forecast isn't looking too amazing and we've all agreed that as we plan on wild camping a week in the rain will not be too enjoyable so we've agreed on a backup plan to head south towards the alps and spend a week milling about round there.

Now its a big area so hoping some of you could point us towards some of the more picturesque places. preferably quite close to the car (say within a mile or 2) similar distance to most things in skye.

Anyway fire away. were pretty open at the moment to which country but general areas would certainly help us round it down...

I'm biased being Italian, but i had an amazing time a few years ago in Aosta in the Italian Alps, beautiful scenery, Mont Blanc, Castles, Roman ruins etc, and it's not mega busy with tourists

Last edited:
Everywhere in the Alps is picturesque really. Lower down there is a lot of green and rolling hills. Higher up it's craggy rocks, glaciers and stunning views. Especially if you can stay overnight up in a hut (hostel) for sunsets, night milky way, and sunrise over the morning mist.

In Austria, look at the "Ziller" Valley. As you drive to the end of it, it keeps getting higher until you arrive at Hintertux that has lifts to take you right up to some very high peaks. Another route is the stunning zigzag road 107 over the "Grossglockner" mountain.

In Germany you can take a cog train up the "Zugspitze" mountain or find hostel space on top at the nearby "Kreuzeck" . Although space might be tricky to find. But when driving, look out for "Zimmer Frei" signs for B&B vacancies which should be plentiful in the valleys.

There are loads more too.

Last edited:
Back