Critique Loch Ba: Twilight reflections on Rannoch Moor

Great shot. Love the colours, and the reflection. Perfect timing. :)
Hope you don't mind me asking, but when planning a trip for reflection shots, do you rely on the weather forecasts? Or just go anyway and hope for the best?

Great shot. Love the colours, and the reflection. Perfect timing. :)
Hope you don't mind me asking, but when planning a trip for reflection shots, do you rely on the weather forecasts? Or just go anyway and hope for the best?

I check the forecasts then hope for the best they are right ;)

If they're wrong there are other shots you can take but these are my favorite to shoot. Other than the Clifton Bridge which was a random shot this has been the only planned reflection shot so far...which you can read about my entire 2017 below and the thinking/logistics behind my images

http://www.sftphotography.co.uk/landscape-photography-2017-far/

Other than todays that is, but I've had terrible stomach problems so rather than lie in bed feeling ill at 4am I hit the road and went to Loch Awe...for reflections. No light but needed out.

I check the forecasts then hope for the best they are right ;)

If they're wrong there are other shots you can take but these are my favorite to shoot. Other than the Clifton Bridge which was a random shot this has been the only planned reflection shot so far...which you can read about my entire 2017 below and the thinking/logistics behind my images

http://www.sftphotography.co.uk/landscape-photography-2017-far/

Other than todays that is, but I've had terrible stomach problems so rather than lie in bed feeling ill at 4am I hit the road and went to Loch Awe...for reflections. No light but needed out.
Thanks for that Steve, I'll have a read. So I take it the main requirement for reflections is a dry day with no wind?
Edit: ignore that last question as I've just read your blog. :)

Last edited:
Lovely shot Steve, only one minor crit... because of the way the trees are leaning on the left I'd have been inclined to give this side more room, it feels a little unbalanced to this side atm.

Very nice Steve just a shame you didn't get the ground level snow you were after, still great though

The sad thing is I do have it..but the card failed before I could download it.

I took it with @Gavlar82 from here. 19F94D94-B908-4912-A05C-44878EC58C96.jpg

All I have to show is this silly back of camera picture I took for Facebook.

Ah well it'll wait to next year...

I quite like the lack of snow at the bases of the trees, it gives a dash of colour which is repeated in the sky, and then the snowy peaks and their reflections really stand out.

Yeah not really had a winter. Plenty of grey dull and overcast weather though. That's my speciality :)

Back