Lockdown beers......dry-January? no thanks.

Partial to a Bowmore too, anyone else seen/tried a black whisky called Loch Dhu*, only ever got it once, last inch or so in the bottom being kept.
* by Mannochmore Distillery.

I'm afraid I'm not a Laphroaig fan, too medicinal for my taste but then whisky is such a personal thing so no worries there! I've got a Machrie Moor Cask Strength coming tomorrow (first time trying that) along with a Bunnahabhain 12 Year Old as despite the lower price it gets excellent reviews, so I need to know what all the fuss is about! Currently enjoying an Arran Amarone Cask, great colour and plenty going on with it.

I find The Glenlivet 18 is a safe choice, but I quite fancy trying the Arran 21 Year Old.
Maybe I should spring for the Glenlivet 18 at some point - I like the 15. I'm intrigued by Bunnahabhain, the Islay that's not an 'Islay'. It's the next on my list to try.

I've had a dram of the Bunnahabhain 12 this evening and the reviews are pretty much spot on, it's a nice and easy drinking whisky with a nice hint of smoke. The Machrie Moor Cask Strength, which I'm sipping now, is rather peaty but also has a sweetness to it making it rather interesting and not overpowering. It's not as peaty as a Laphroaig though but the smokiness sits in your mouth for a while after each sip. Worth a try.

I like Bunah- Bunagh- that one too but can’t spell it.;)

I like Bunah- Bunagh- that one too but can’t spell it.;)
Bunnyhaven! I used to like that years ago but they've changed the recipe now. I'm rather partial to a dram of Old Pulteney these days, I quite like the slightly salty caramel finish it seems to have. I'm not keen on heavily peaty/smokey tasting malts, so try to avoid those.

Around 20 years ago when I was working in London, I used to organise a wine society once a month. One of the partners of the firm decided to treat me in exchange for setting up the club, so took me and a mate to the Scottish Malt Whisky Society in Farringdon. It really was an experience, the malts were stunning.

A mates company selling whisky... https://www.tyndrumwhisky.com/

Nice range of whiskies there, if using online instead of a local store I usually use Master of Malt but I'll have a look at this place as well. Speaking of local stores, I spotted an Arran 21 on the shelf at the Good Spirit Co and couldn't resist. Rather spicy which makes up for pretty much zero peat, but a great aftertaste which makes it rather morish and improves with each dram. Not sure it's quite worth the price tag though.

Last night I came across a bottle of sloe gin we made 2 years ago, I wish I'd found it sooner....

Used to love a drop of IPA.

A467878D-EE29-4B13-826C-912993EA756E.jpeg

During first lockdown though I felt my consumption going up a little to regular so decided to cut back hard while we are living in such depressing times. Only five pints consumed since April last year. As soon as we reach more agreeable and less depressing times I fully intent to make a comeback.

Used to love a drop of IPA.

View attachment 307593

During first lockdown though I felt my consumption going up a little to regular so decided to cut back hard while we are living in such depressing times. Only five pints consumed since April last year. As soon as we reach more agreeable and less depressing times I fully intent to make a comeback.

Love the photo

There's a crazy project locally for people with gardens to grow hops. You need surprisingly little space and once established it's pretty indestructible. Then a community team collect hops from the gardens and hand it over to a local brewer. He makes beer (obvs), gives some to the growers and sells the rest. Profits are split between the brewery, a bee charity and the community to make a circular economy.

Hythe Community Hop Farm – Hythe Environmental Community

I was "between houses" this year so didn't grow any hops - but my local brewer delivered a bag in box of 10 litres of local stout the other day. Can't wait to open it :)

(1) Dark Matter multipack – Docker Bakery

Recently i've been trying all the winter ales, some rather nice ones out there.
Settled on Hook Norton Twelve Days as my favourite, started out as a festive beer, but now available all year round.
A good range of bottled beers available from several of the online delivery supermarkets, enjoying trying a selection.
Wychwood Hobgoblin range were pleasant as was Badger Cranbourne Poacher, not quite worked out the taste though, must try harder.

Back