Log-in features on websites.... do you like or HATE!!!

Edit My Images
No
Hi

I would like to know whether having a log-in function on a webiste puts people off from buying on that site????

i.e. when you place something in your basket and then youi have to create an account before you can purchase your item, does this put you off from buying the product.

Feedback needed

tom

Landscape and Flower photography - www.tomanthonyphotography.co.uk

I personally hate the sites where you have to log in/create an account to purchase something off them.

As far as I am concerned aaccount creation should be optional, not compulsary.

If the site has a good reputation then I don't mind.

Im not keen on opening accounts as i hate being bombarded with 'special offer' emails.

I would rather it was optional.

They should request account/register details before you start shopping to avoid
frustration when you are ready to pay.

Yeah, its poop, I usually try to order and pay by phone if they do that, although I do have a special yahoo address for when opening an account is the only way, they can send as much crap as they want to that, I don't read it :LOL:

I sort of take it for granted, it's so common. I would find it the norm and therefore it wouldn't put me off buying.

L
xx

I especially hate those websites that don't alert you that it is essential to create an account until you get to the checkout.

I will nearly always go elsewhere, I wonder if the owners realise how much business they risk losing.

I don't mind creating an account but I will normally leave it if I can't add something to the basket and then see what the postage is going to be unless I create an account first.

It's so common that it's difficult to avoid, and so I tend to just go along with it. I certainly don't like it though. If I physically went into a shop to buy something and they wanted my address, email address, phone number, name etc... I'd just tell them to get lost and walk out. Why should it be different on the net?

As a consequence my email kill list is getting bigger and bigger :)

It's so common that it's difficult to avoid, and so I tend to just go along with it. I certainly don't like it though. If I physically went into a shop to buy something and they wanted my address, email address, phone number, name etc... I'd just tell them to get lost and walk out. Why should it be different on the net?

As a consequence my email kill list is getting bigger and bigger :)

I have done this in one shop - they wanted, I think £2 plus all my details so they could send me a card so I could shop there. I was furious, I had been in the queue for ages so I just politely declined their "offer" left the pile of stuff I had been going to buy and went to the shop next door instead.

I prefer this to be optional, but if I anticipate being a regular and can track orders (and spend) then I have no issue with this.

I hate it, the quicker I can pay and go the better.

This is mainly why I generally will pay using Google Checkout or Paypal if available and why I highly recommend you adding them if possible.

If it's a site that anticipate using relatively often, I'll register and leave details but if it's probably going to be just a once off visit, I'll 'phone if it's an option and if not, I'll go elsewhere.

i hate it, especially when you forget your user name or password you created when you used the site a year ago!!

It depends, if its a quick "desired username, password and email (without email verification)" then its fine but if I have to spend 20 minutes filling it out in such detail as to explain what I had for dinner last Tuesday, then no Ill go somewhere else.

James

i try my hardest to avoid them, will always buy elsewhere if possible, also dislike there not being a paypal button as i am not a fan of typing my credit details willy-nily online

TBH i dont really understand WHY a website wouldnt have a paypal button OR why they assume you want to give them all your information before buying something menial

just seems like a silly way to lose alot of buisness

hate. simple answer for all reasons same as already mentioned

If I'm just looking to buy a one off item, then it does annoy me (but not so much that I'll actually spend time looking elsewhere), but if it a site that I use regularly, then I'm happy to have an account as it is easier to keep track of past orders on there, than it is searching through all my email etc.

The only downside I can think of accounts on sites that I regularly use, is that it makes it a lot easier to buy things in (literally) 2 clicks....damned play.com :LOL:

From a sellers point of view (with more years selling online than i care to remember)

I know that one of the ways to maake sales is to make it as quick simple and easy as possible for the user... having to create an account doesn't do that.

I also know that an online business increases its own value by how many customers it has signed up with accounts.

I don't need the latter so try to make sure the former

Really I don't mind...

I often use a gmail account to sign up for things, separate to my everyday email account, so if they bombard me with spam, it gets caught. I keep an eye on it every couple of days, and sometimes there is a special offer which I take up.

If it's somewhere i'll use regularly, then I don't mind - especially if they use the information to give me additional benefits - an example would be Wiggle (a cycle bits e-retailer). They allow you to buy via paypal etc. and not bother with an account, but if you pay though their books so to speak, all your purchases are added up over the prior 12 months and are used to calculate an additional discount that is applied, over and above any special offers etc. For this, to be honest, i'm fairly happy to log in and out.

As far as creating accounts, the best way i've encountered was to allow a new customer to create their order, enter delivery and payment details etc. - all the data you'd need to create their account and pass through the checkout. Then, and only then, do you aske the person if they'd like the details saved "for their convenience in future shopping", and create the account at that point - a simple entry of a email address, password and the obligatory opt-in/out email spam option. Additional time wasted 30 seconds or so, and next time you're straight in (think it was another cycle bits company ProBikeKit iirc)

Back