LONDON 2012 - CAMERAS, BAGS, RESTRICTIONS, ETC - PLEASE POST HERE

I agree. I'd stock with your current lens. Plenty good enough to capture the moment properly.

OK lets say you get in, tyhje next hurdle will be taking it out and shooting - If seen by security you will be removed! What a waste of a night! And your kids get to see Daddy removed and worse have to leave with you?!!

I'm not sure I live on the same planet as you. Next time I want a break from reality I'll come visit.
This is the Olympics, not Fort Knox.

I'm not sure I live on the same planet as you. Next time I want a break from reality I'll come visit.

With the current climate I bet security at Fort Knox will look lame in comparison. I think what people are trying to tell you is: Don't take any chances! You won't get away with it.

No1Joker said:

You've been told twice now by people who actually know what is going on at two separate venues, yet you still don't get it.

I agree with Tony. My 100-400 on a 50D is 25cm unextended and only just over 30cm extended. As long as it is in an appropriate sized bag there is no way under the published regulations that it should not be allowed in. Once you are in with 80,000 others no-one is going to tell if it's 30 or 32cm.

@OP - Look dude, if you're so sure of yourself, go ahead - but plenty of well respected forum members have told you (from experience) their opinions on the matter. It's your choice whether or not you choose to head their warnings. I will echo their advice and urge you to reconsider the size of the equipment you take in with you. I've worked events with much lower profile security and have been interrogated as to why I was carrying such large equipment (and I had a photo-pass!)

Print the PDF out that tigger posted a link to, if you do get stopped then just show them the printed sheet and stick the paper next to the lens, the A4 sheet is less than the 30cm limit :)

Best of luck to you mate, hope you do manage to get in and get some cracking shots, then get them up on the Forum (y)

Really?! You can hardly get in anywhere with a dSLR these days. I honestly wish you luck but you're taking a big chance of spoiling your evening.

And iF you do try and use the 100-400, make sure the zoom lock is on so it doesn't extend easily at the search.

if they manage to extend it, shout like you're being robbed that they broke your lens :D

http://www.techradar.com/news/photo...restrictions-at-the-olympics-explored-1078508

I just had a wee read at this and it seems I'm partly wrong lol

You are allowed to take camera phones, compact cameras and DSLRs into Olympic and Paralympic venues, as long as the equipment fits into a bag no bigger than 30 x 20 x 20cm. Anything above this may be confiscated and not necessarily returned to you."

The bag must fit under your seat, and large lenses will not be permitted because they could obstruct the others' views.

Bags could also face an X-ray check before they can be taken into the stadium. There has been some speculation as to whether all security guards will adhere to photography guidelines.

Not sure peeps have read the whole thread.
I'm going with a 30D and then the 70-300 1st week and the 70-200 the 2nd.

It easily fits into the bag size and I chose them because they are very compact. I probably won't use the hood either.

I'm not ignoring the advice (hence picking the lenses very carefully).
I think it is an important subject and warrants opinion, others won't risk taking their kit. I've spent good money on my seats, I would like some pictures to show off with!!

acetone said:
EF 400 f5.6 L is within the 30cm rule ;)

Flash In The Pan said:
Doesn't mean G4S' "expert" security officers will let it in though, does it?

"It says 400mm on the side of the lens, sir. That's longer than 30cm, so you can't bring it in"

:)

I will be escaping London on Friday night while everyone else is watching the opening ceremony on telly, so hopefully the roads will be quiet.

Glad I won't be dealing with London Bridge station on the Monday morning...

There are the rules they say, and then there are the rules they enforce, generally DSLRs with any large lenses are seen as a nono :nono: at many sporting venues, nevermind the Olympics.

They stop you at Premier League matches from using a large lens on a DSLR, and the are nothing compared to how the Olympic committee guard their rights. They stop people displaying the Olympic logo for christ sakes, that's free advertising they are stopping just to keep in control of things. Do you think that they would risk people getting half decent pictures from the stands when there are hundreds of Pro's trying to make a living, and who they can control where the pics are taken from. :shrug:

It's apparently going to take hours to get in because of security, so even if you were parked close, popping back to the car which is 5 mins away would not be the 10 min round trip envisaged with another trip through security. :shake:

I'd take a bridge camera with a big zoom, as they haven't cottoned on yet how much zoom some of these little cameras have, or maybe they have and they know the quality isn't there to go with the zoom, especially in poor light.

I wouldn't take a DSLR to a Premier League game with the thought as to what I would do if they said 'you are not bringing that in here'. At the Olympics no chance. They'll be watching the crowds very closely for other 'issues', telling someone to go and stop that chap in row Z taking pics is an easy enough thing to do, and keeps the staff on their toes. And how do they stop you, do they take your camera off you, or do they ask you to leave? :shrug: Either scenario doesn't see that good. :(

If you do go, I hope you get some nice pics, but unless you are very close to the action, they probably won't be amazing anyway. :shrug: Have you ever seen any pics from a stand look any good? :shrug:

If you want memories for the kids, take pictures of them there, then they'll remember the event. Pictures of runner, or whatever close up, is not what they saw, they will hopefully see and enjoy the atmosphere of the crowd, and that will be their memories.

Also, if they confiscate your camera/lens... It is their discretion to ask you to leave and confiscate the equipment with no obligation to return it. You are expected to follow the rules or face the harsh consequences.
Don't give your nice camera away for free.

I have a Hens Tooth, I mean an Opening Ceremony ticket. You cannot believe the hours camped out online i had t do to get one (without selling my cars)
I have a 60d which I would love to take, but it's staying at home and I'm taking my Panny Lumix TZ.
Imagine my tears after the hours of effort, the £150 for the ticket, queuing for hours for trains and TWO security checks (Olympic Park & Stadium) for someone to say, NOPE. When you get the PDF out and show him the 30cm rule, then he starts saying about copyright and pro camera intentions, or whatever you are never going to win the arguement.
It's either goodbye camera or goodbye once in a lifetime opportunity.

I'm not taking the risk.

You've been told twice now by people who actually know what is going on at two separate venues, yet you still don't get it.

Sorry, what?

Who are these two people?

There is only one that has provided solid evidence, which states that a unit must be less than 30cm in length. The rules seem to specifically state that that it's not a case of "professional" equipment will not be let in, rather the size of any equipment.

Unless of course you are a member of the security team and know better than the official guidelines...?

Or are you just someone who is a massive overcautious pessimist?

Also, if they confiscate your camera/lens... It is their discretion to ask you to leave and confiscate the equipment with no obligation to return it. You are expected to follow the rules or face the harsh consequences.
Don't give your nice camera away for free.

I would be very interested in seeing how that would play out in court...

"They stole my £3000 camera equipment AND threw me out of the venue, not giving it back, after letting me in with it in the first place and being allowable under the highly published rules..."

EDIT: Oh, and don't forget it's an international event, huge numbers of tourists will be travelling in with DSLR's, there will be thousands of people using fairly big lenses (just walk round london for a day to see what the standard kit of the American and Asian tourists use). It would be absolute chaos if they didn't adhere to their own rules...

Last edited:
Distract them by first walking up to them wearing a Pepsi T Shirt eating a bag of chips - after that infraction, the camera / lens will be the least of their worries!

Well one of these people, me, is currently sitting in our office at the main press centre in Stratford.

Excellent, can you explain what the problems the press are having with security? Is it because the lenses are "too big" or just other security reasons?

Many sporting venues do not allow "professional" camera equipment unless accompanied by the relevant Press pass. My company used to rent a box at Upton Park, but one of my clients was refused entry because he had a DSLR. I remember both his camera and lens were not that big (an old Nikon D50 with 55-200 or similar), but security made him leave it at the ticket office for collection after the game. The problem is that any DSLR can look like a pro camera to the untrained eye, and there is a big grey area between consumer DSLR + Kit lens and a 1DX with a 400mm F/2.8 IS.

I think that a small DSLR with a compact black lens should clear Olympic Security without any problems, but sneaking anything big and/or white past may be another matter. It also depends which G4S numpty checks your bag, and how picky he feels at the time. I definitely would not chance a 100-400L, or even a 70-200L for that matter. A 55-250 or 70-300 USM will be the safest long'ish bets.

Last edited:
and large lenses will not be permitted because they could obstruct the others' views.

This is the relevant part, to us a large lens may well be a 300mm F2.8 or longer, but to them anything over a standard zoom (18-55) is likely to be classed as large.

I wouldn't take a DSLR if I was going, its just to risky and I wouldnt want to face the choice of losing my kit or missing the event, and with their "may not be returned" caveat it gives some security staff a license to gain nice gear for nothing.

Amp34 said:
I would be very interested in seeing how that would play out in court...

"They stole my £3000 camera equipment AND threw me out of the venue, not giving it back, after letting me in with it in the first place and being allowable under the highly published rules..."

EDIT: Oh, and don't forget it's an international event, huge numbers of tourists will be travelling in with DSLR's, there will be thousands of people using fairly big lenses (just walk round london for a day to see what the standard kit of the American and Asian tourists use). It would be absolute chaos if they didn't adhere to their own rules...

That's covered very clearly in the Terms and Conditions of ticket purchase and entry.

Section 19.1.2
Spectator Policy, Personal Property:

LOCOG has the exclusive right to determine what objects may be brought into a Venue by a Ticket Holder. LOCOG will not store confiscated and/or unauthorised material at a Venue and a Ticket Holder will have no right for the item to be returned.

No grounds for a court case there at all. Caveat emptor!

Last edited:
I think we all fall into one of 3 categories here:

1. Take nothing and spectate
2. Take compact camera P&S with a decent zoom
3. Take a dslr with lens which fits the guidelines as laid out by LOGOC.

I'll be starting at 3 and working my way down!!

My downside if stopped and denied entry is a 1hr round trip to my office to leave the gear and return. I'm arriving very early for my ticket so I won't miss any action.

You'll know how much success I have in the evening of the 30th. Here's hoping for a great occasion.

This is the relevant part, to us a large lens may well be a 300mm F2.8 or longer, but to them anything over a standard zoom (18-55) is likely to be classed as large.

I wouldn't take a DSLR if I was going, its just to risky and I wouldnt want to face the choice of losing my kit or missing the event, and with their "may not be returned" caveat it gives some security staff a license to gain nice gear for nothing.

But LOCOG have specifically stated the size of the large lens. If your lens is shorter than 30cm then what is the problem?

That's covered very clearly in the Terms and Conditions of ticket purchase and entry.

Section 19.1.2
Spectator Policy, Personal Property:

No grounds for a court case there at all. Caveat emptor!

1. Since when have terms and conditions trumped UK law?
2. They have every right to ask you to leave, however asking you to leave and then confiscating a piece of camera equipment that is not on their banned list and arguably allowed via their website (sub 30cm etc) is certainly not Caveat emptor. As I said I'd love to see that tested in a court of law.

Last edited:
Gerard and myself.

In a manner of speaking, yes.

Then in which case you have also stated that a unit (lets say a lens attached to the body) less than 30cm may be allowed in.

Do you suggest that what LOCOG have publicly stated is actually wrong?

Are you a police officer? You sound like one of the sort of people who insists that you can't take photos of a police officer and that they "have to delete" photos.;)

I'm sorry if I'm sounding stubborn but one thing I really do not like is liars and to me going against what has been stated is essentially lying. As Trigger posted it has been specifically posted as to what can and cannot be taken into the venue.

––Large photographic and broadcast
equipment over 30cm in length,
including tripods and monopods.
You cannot use photographic
or broadcast equipment for
commercial purposes unless you
hold media accreditation

Why post that if it's not actually the case?
http://www.london2012.com/mm/Docume...Prohibitedandrestricteditemslists_Neutral.pdf

Last edited:
My downside if stopped and denied entry is a 1hr round trip to my office to leave the gear and return. I'm arriving very early for my ticket so I won't miss any action.

You'll know how much success I have in the evening of the 30th. Here's hoping for a great occasion.

Good luck with that. (y)

Don't forget to factor in however long it takes to get to the front of the queue to encounter security, because you'll probably have to do it all again when you get back. I doubt they'll keep your place. ;) :LOL:

Seriously, I hope it goes how you want it to go. :)

Back