LONDON 2012 - CAMERAS, BAGS, RESTRICTIONS, ETC - PLEASE POST HERE

Amp34 said:
1. Since when have terms and conditions trumped UK law?
2. They have every right to ask you to leave, however asking you to leave and then confiscating a piece of camera equipment that is not on their banned list and arguably allowed via their website (sub 30cm etc) is certainly not Caveat emptor. As I said I'd love to see that tested in a court of law.

Who exactly suggested that you would be asked to leave AND have restricted property confiscated?

The choice will be a simple one; leave OR have the kit confiscated. Exactly the same as entering any departure lounge in an airport.

Amp34 said:
Then in which case you have also stated that a unit (lets say a lens attached to the body) less than 30cm may be allowed in.

Do you suggest that what LOCOG have publicly stated is actually wrong?

Are you a police officer? You sound like one of the sort of people who insists that you can't take photos of a police officer and that they "have to delete" photos.;)

I'm sorry if I'm sounding stubborn but one thing I really do not like is liars and to me going against what has been stated is essentially lying. As Trigger posted it has been specifically posted as to what can and cannot be taken into the venue.

Why post that if it's not actually the case?
http://www.london2012.com/mm/Document/Documents/General/01/25/44/06/Prohibitedandrestricteditemslists_Neutral.pdf

Firstly, I'm not a police officer. I'm a photographer.

Secondly, I resent your implication that I'm lying.

As I've said from the beginning the rules have been made fairly clear. No photographic kit over 30cm in length.

To me that means the combination of camera and lens together.

However if anyone wants to chance it, then that's up to them. The security surrounding the Olympic venues is extremely tight as both Gerard, I and a couple of others have said.

If anyone wants to hire a lens and risk having it confiscated when they go in, personally I think that they're as daft as a brush.

As for travel times...

if your office is normally an hour away, treble that time, or to be on the safe side quadruple it.

The accusation wasn't against you, it was against LOGOC.(oh, actually it might have been :( which would be a shame) I.E. saying they'll let in sub 30cm gear and then confiscating it.
You're just offering opinion, which is very welcome.
A lot of the points being raised I hadn't thought about (like stadium security rather than entry security)

I also agree that overseas visitors regularly carry dslr with a decent zoom lens, especially since the £1500 it takes to buy them isn't that much money on a hobby.

It may well end up being the case of "horses for courses", where some people get through and others don't.

Last edited:
No photographic kit over 30cm in length.

Mark the way I read the rules were that it was as long as the kit fits into a bag no bigger than 30 x 20 x 20cm.

I suppose a carrier bag could be counted as a bag right enough! lol

Who exactly suggested that you would be asked to leave AND have restricted property confiscated?

The choice will be a simple one; leave OR have the kit confiscated. Exactly the same as entering any departure lounge in an airport.

Erm...

Also, if they confiscate your camera/lens... It is their discretion to ask you to leave and confiscate the equipment with no obligation to return it. You are expected to follow the rules or face the harsh consequences.
Don't give your nice camera away for free.

Which is what I replied to...:)

I agree with you, although I doubt it would be the same as the departure lounge as we were discussing what would happen after you were in the venue, not at security.

Last edited:
Firstly, I'm not a police officer. I'm a photographer.

Secondly, I resent your implication that I'm lying.

As I've said from the beginning the rules have been made fairly clear. No photographic kit over 30cm in length.

However if anyone wants to chance it, then that's up to them. The security surrounding the Olympic venues is extremely tight as both Gerard, I and a couple of others have said.

If anyone wants to hire a lens and risk having it confiscated when they go in, personally I think that they're as daft as a brush.

As for travel times...

if your office is normally an hour away, treble that time, or to be on the safe side quadruple it.

So actually

In a manner of speaking, yes.

is not actually correct at all? Unless you are a police photographer perhaps?

The lying comment was in no way directed at you just to clarify. I was specifically talking about LOCOG putting something on their website which you were suggesting may be completely ignored, which to me is basically lying.

In which case the "unit" (in the case above a 30D and a 70-200 f/2.8) should be fine as it was measured at below 30cm long.

I am going to be very intrigued by the waiting times too, I work in London and our office manager has been going on about the chaos it will cause us for a while. I'm intrigued to see it it really makes much of a difference outside of the immediate Olympic village area...

Last edited:
I'm going to the Opening Ceremony, and only taking my Lumix TZ, though I shall hopefully remember and post back here what I see other people snapping with.
Also if I see plenty of DLRS's being used I'll be taking mine to the Basketball and Athletics. But I'm not going to risk the OC for anything.

OK lets say you get in, tyhje next hurdle will be taking it out and shooting - If seen by security you will be removed!

Rubbish! Complete FUD.

If your behaviour is disrupting the enjoyment of other spectators then you will be asked to stop doing it. At least, that's what I was told in training.

Last edited:
Mark the way I read the rules were that it was as long as the kit fits into a bag no bigger than 30 x 20 x 20cm.

Except that those rules, published in an official book and nowhere else, turned out to be wrong. You're allowed one bag, 25 litres or less, soft-sided, must be able to fit under your seat.

Rubbish! Complete FUD.

If your behaviour is disrupting the enjoyment of other spectators then you will be asked to stop doing it. At least, that's what I was told in training.

Before jumping in and making yourself out to be the fud, if you read the thread you'll see what I said later.

Except that those rules, published in an official book and nowhere else, turned out to be wrong. You're allowed one bag, 25 litres or less, soft-sided, must be able to fit under your seat.

I will stand corrected on that point.Reading the T&Cs

"The following is a non-exhaustive list of restricted items which may not be taken into a Venue (LOCOG reserves the right to amend this list, generally, or in respect of any Venue or Session): food (save for baby food), alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages (save for baby milk and other valid medical reasons), liquids in containers of greater than 100ml in size, needles (save as required for valid medical reasons), animals (save for assistance or guide dogs), weapons (including knives), illegal drugs, other illegal substances, fireworks, firecrackers, poles, flagpoles, sticks, large photographic equipment (including tripods), bats, large umbrellas and other blunt instruments, motorcycles, bicycles, roller-skates, skateboards, or other types of skates, electronic transmitting equipment, flags of countries not participating in the Games, large flags or banners, horns, whistles, drums, rattles, musical instruments, lasers or any other devices that in the opinion of LOCOG may disturb a Session, objects bearing trademarks or other kinds of promotional signs or messages (such as hats, T-shirts, bags, etc) which LOCOG believes are for promotional purposes, counterfeit products, balls, rackets, frisbees or similar objects, large quantities of coins, lighters, advertising or promotional material of any kind, printed matter bearing religious, political or offensive content or content contrary to public order and/or morality, bottles or containers made of glass or other material, flasks, thermoses, refrigerators, large objects such as suitcases or bags, and in general any material that LOCOG may deem dangerous or that may cause damage or disruption to a Session."

So it now just says large photographic equipment - I would bet that pretty much any dSLR camera with a lens could be construed as large photographic equipment lol

So it now just says large photographic equipment - I would bet that pretty much any dSLR camera with a lens could be construed as large photographic equipment lol

But, if you bothered to read Heather's link then you would have found the additional information. Here it is again. And here's the important bit...

Items that are restricted in London
2012 venues are:
<snip>
––Large photographic and broadcast
equipment over 30cm in length,
including tripods and monopods.
You cannot use photographic
or broadcast equipment for
commercial purposes unless you
hold media accreditation

Before jumping in and making yourself out to be the fud, if you read the thread you'll see what I said later.

Yes, I did that. Nowhere do you retract the statement "If seen by security you will be removed!". This is what I said was rubbish. It is pure fabrication, intended to spread Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt (as you seem to be unclear as to the meaning of FUD).

I lnow exactly what fud means in my part of the country :) On reading again, maybe you meant complete guff or nonsense? That's not what fud means!

Anyway..... chances are if you get caught with something that should not be there (like "large photographic equipment") you would be told to stop and probably be removed. I've seen it done.

EDIT
Being from Scotland
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fud

I wasn't aware it had other meanings so maybe crossed meanings lol

Last edited:
Off to Box Hill on Saturday and wanted to take my gripped D300s, Tokina 50-135, Nikon 50mm, and Nikon 16-85 in my Kata 3n1 20, but am getting a bit nervous about having it confiscated.

Is it likely to happen?

I did a quick search in this forum but didn't see anything on the topic.

Has LOCOG clarified the rules for the cameras allowed in the venues?

On their website, it says cameras can't be more than 30cm in length. This is pretty vague, you can get pro-end kit for that sort of size.

How will the security gaurds discriminate?

For what its worth, I only want to take in GF1 + 20mm and perhaps a Nikon F3 + couple of lenses.

Cheeers,
Sid

Ok thanks for those but have had any more clarification on the rules though?

30cm length and no professional kit is not mutually exclusive.

Its typically vague and your mileage is likely to vary depending on which jobsworth security gaurd you get on the day.

sidxms said:

Its typically vague and your mileage is likely to vary depending on which jobsworth security gaurd you get on the day.

I suspect that's your answer right there.

Ok thanks for those but have had any more clarification on the rules though?

I assume you have tickets and you've had an email from LOCOG giving you information about your event?

I found this information by following a link in said email,

"In addition, there are restrictions
on the use of some items inside
venues. Check with staff if you’re
unsure about using an item inside
venues, as some items may disrupt
competition, obstruct the view of
other spectators or create a safety
hazard.

Large photographic and broadcast
equipment over 30cm in length,
including tripods and monopods.
You cannot use photographic
or broadcast equipment for
commercial purposes unless you
hold media accreditation"

I'm going to 6 events and planning on just taking my D3100 with my 35mm.

Several threads on same subject now merged

Right everyone, I have merged several threads on the same subject into one big one and made it a sticky at the top of the Talk Photography forum for a week or two. If you see new threads spring up anywhere else, can you please rtm them and point OP at this thread, so ALL the known information [and as the days pass, experiences of those that have visited] can be found in a single place.

Thankyou :)

Off to Box Hill on Saturday and wanted to take my gripped D300s, Tokina 50-135, Nikon 50mm, and Nikon 16-85 in my Kata 3n1 20, but am getting a bit nervous about having it confiscated.

Is it likely to happen?

There are no special restrictions for Box Hill - LINK.

Your Kata bag is just over 10 L, so well within the 25 L limit. Your lenses should be less than 30 cm when mounted. So there is no reason why your gear shouldn't be allowed in. Ignore the FUD-spreaders who are just upset that some people may actually enjoy the games and I hope you have a great time.

Lowepro Nova 160 AW ,Canon 5d11 and 21-105 ?

There are three rules (for most Olympic Venues, others - specifically Wembley Stadium - may have others) that we photographers need to take specific note of...

1. One bag per person. So camera bag or handbag, but not both. Bags must soft-sided and 25 litres or less. Look up your bag's dimensions (the 160 AW is 24 X 17.5 X 22 cm) multiply those numbers (in cm) together to get a volume in cubic cm - 24 x 17.5 x 22 = 9,240 cc. One litre = 1,000 cc so this bag is just over 9 litres and well within the limits.
  2. Camera gear must be less than 30cm in length. The easiest way to test this is to use a tape measure. Do they measure it retracted or extended? They'll only measure it if it looks very big in the X-ray machine. Pack it retracted.
  3. If you indulge in behaviour that annoys other spectators then you will be asked to cease. If you don't then you will be ejected. Fully extending your 100-400, with a TC and a hood in place, then repeatedly sticking it in front of your neighbours's face probably does qualify as annoying behaviour.

If you're lucky enough to be going to an event then please enjoy yourself and allow everybody else to do the same.

If you're going to the Opening Ceremony on Friday - take a video camera! It's gonna be a bit dark for stills, despite 1,000 flashes going off every second from people who don't know how to work their cameras). Video is so much better in that sort of light.

Last edited:
There are three rules (for most Olympic Venues, others - specifically Wembley Stadium - may have others) that we photographers need to take specific note of...

1. One bag per person. So camera bag or handbag, but not both. Bags must soft-sided and 25 litres or less. Look up your bag's dimensions (the 160 AW is 24 X 17.5 X 22 cm) multiply those numbers (in cm) together to get a volume in cubic cm - 24 x 17.5 x 22 = 9,240 cc. One litre = 1,000 cc so this bag is just over 9 litres and well within the limits.
  2. Camera gear must be less than 30cm in length. The easiest way to test this is to use a tape measure. Do they measure it retracted or extended? They'll only measure it if it looks very big in the X-ray machine. Pack it retracted.
  3. If you indulge in behaviour that annoys other spectators then you will be asked to cease. If you don't then you will be ejected. Fully extending your 100-400, with a TC and a hood in place, then repeatedly sticking it in front of your neighbours's face probably does qualify as annoying behaviour.

If you're lucky enough to be going to an event then please enjoy yourself and allow everybody else to do the same.

If you're going to the Opening Ceremony on Friday - take a video camera! It's gonna be a bit dark for stills, despite 1,000 flashes going off every second from people who don't know how to work their cameras). Video is so much better in that sort of light.

AHA - some proper information instead of all the moaning and unfounded speculation.

ALL the rules governing what can and cannot be taken into the venues are on the 2012 site.

I was there on Monday night for the rehearsal.
There is absolutely NO problem with Dslrs or "professional" equipment.
There is absolutely NO problem taking pictures anywhere (except at the security tents).
The SPECIFIC restrictions are on equipment over 30cm and that includes things like golf umbrellas, tripods, monopods etc.
Reason - spectator comfort, i.e. not blocking others view.

Even though the t&c's for the rehearsal stated no photos inside during the event they cancelled this when they simply asked that no images of the ceremony be posted before the actual ceremony on Friday. Everyone was happily snapping away with everything from phone cameras to Dslrs with zooms and decent long primes.

The vast majority of the guys handling the entry gates security (x-ray machines etc) are squaddies.

In the stadium there is ample opportunity for decent shots with a 300mm IF you are in the lower tier seating.

SOME rpt SOME venues will NOT allow dslrs - that is not because of LOCOG, or the ODA etc. That is down to the venue and mainly is at the football stadiums where that rule is in force all the time anyway.

If you have tickets - go and enjoy yourselves and snap away.

In the stadium there is ample opportunity for decent shots with a 300mm IF you are in the lower tier seating.

Yes, I was there on Monday as well - 6 rows from the front. From there a 200mm would have got some decent shots from the jumping events. But my seats for the Athletics are up in the top tier, and that's going to be too far for most things. I'm still planning on taking a 24-105 and 70-200, but they'll be for shots around the park (and there are some decent opportunities there) and for atmosphere shots in the stadium.

Yes, I was there on Monday as well - 6 rows from the front. From there a 200mm would have got some decent shots from the jumping events. But my seats for the Athletics are up in the top tier, and that's going to be too far for most things. I'm still planning on taking a 24-105 and 70-200, but they'll be for shots around the park (and there are some decent opportunities there) and for atmosphere shots in the stadium.

Lucky you, Have fun.

Just watching the news and a live report from the olympic park, so far have counted at least 20 dslrs hanging around peoples necks.

If they ain't bothered for the opening rehearsals then you can be damned sure they won't be bothered for the events.

It's good to see some normality return after the scaremongering.
I'm buzzing with excitement, bring on Friday.

First events are on Monday. Batteries are charged, memory cards are empty. Yay

It's good to see some normality return after the scaremongering.
I'm buzzing with excitement, bring on Friday.

First events are on Monday. Batteries are charged, memory cards are empty. Yay

Just go and enjoy the event. Unless you are in a photo position you won't get a good shot most of the time anyway.

I have tickets for all the football in Newcastle. I didnt think they would allow my Canon 7d and 70-300mm lens. I therefore took the precaution of buying a small Olympus SZ-14.

My objectives are to capture the surrounding area and the atmosphere in the stadium.

Matches one and two are this afternoon. Ill pop along with me wee camera and see whats allowed first hand regarding the Large lenses. I should be home around 9pm and will post back what the restrictions are, or what my observations are.

I cant imagine the crowds been large enough at the football to make shooting with a large lens from the stands an issue, and as already noted, getting shots to sell will be nigh on impossible.

Last edited:
I... and as already noted, getting shots to sell will be nigh on impossible.

It isn't only "nigh on impossible" to get shots to sell, you'll be prohibited from selling them - it is one of the T&Cs associated with entry.

I didnt mean I was going to. I mean I will be able to find out exactly what is permitted at the venues. Im just a hobby snapper. I dont make money from photography, I work for my living unfortunetly :)

TBH, the terms and conditions that the 2012 guys sent out to ticket holders are very vague in respects of what is allowed. So I will attempt to discover today if I can take my 7d and 70-300 lens. If not its no biggy, I am going firstly as a football fan.

I didnt mean I was going to. I mean I will be able to find out exactly what is permitted at the venues

Your post does highlight your lack of knowledge about the Olympics or indeed how most major sport events work.

I got told by a guy I know who is a volunteer that I would be able to get in the Olympic Stadium with my 1D MkIII and 70-200 L lens according to their training

Not that I'm going to any events but it just confused me after everything I've read everywhere

Back