LONDON 2012 - CAMERAS, BAGS, RESTRICTIONS, ETC - PLEASE POST HERE

Llamaman said:
AP need to start producing some evidence for this 'story'. It's sounding increasingly like fiction...

Who the hell is ap? Unless it's bang on mentioned on the official sites I couldn't give a monkeys what ap or some other random sites says

A spokeswoman told AP: ‘I think the "35mm" was a typo, either that or you made it up in a desperate attempt to generate some coverage for your rag"

:LOL:

they do seem to be photography's version of the Mail...

If the Mail has any decent photos they've probably been stolen...

really disgraceful reporting by amateur photographer - probably ruining a few photographers day at the games due to its attempt to create a story. I will certainly never buy the magazine again.

Phall82 said:
Has anybody tried using a travel zoom compact like a Panasonic TZ30 or Canon SX260? Are they any good for this type of thing? Also, if so, do you have any examples?

Thanks

Colin

Anybody?

We used a TZ7, but I guess it depends where you sit (we were near the front of the top tier for the athletics). Was ok for recording and not bad for close-up pictures, nothing we will print and put on the wall however decent enough for facebook or a 6x4.

Going on Tuesday Night to the athletics. I'm hoping to take a sony a200 with a 70-300. I'll also be taking my nikon s9100 :p
Can't find a concrete answer anywhere about what can and can not be used!

Going on Tuesday Night to the athletics. I'm hoping to take a sony a200 with a 70-300. I'll also be taking my nikon s9100 :p
Can't find a concrete answer anywhere about what can and can not be used!

I went to the athletics this morning with my 7D and 100-400. No problems. Can't wait until Tuesday when I'll have time to review the shots.

Haven't had a chance to process my shots yet today, but I got in with a 100-400 to the beach volleyball.
Here is a list of the focal lengths used, which might assist others in determining what lens to bring
I was in row 49, which is one down from the top, camera is 7d, which is 1.6 crop, these are the focal length as reported by the lens (i.e. not multiplied).
focal.jpg

I walked through security into the olympic stadium yesterday, with my d7000 with 300f4 attached. Nobody batted an eyelid.

I watched athletics on Friday. I took canon 5d, 50mm and 70-200 without any problem. Staff were nice and willing to help.

Watching it on the tv there seems to be pro looking lens just from casual spectators. I'm sure i'll be the unlucky one who gets the steward who checks everything against the rules and I'm not allowed to take it :(:(:(

No one batted an eyelid at me taking a DSLR into Wembley. Had left the telephoto at home but as it turned out, again, loads of people with them and spare lenses there.

I was there on Friday I didn't take my 60D as I was entertaining customers and so I didn't think it was a good idea, I was also on the train and travelling light so that was another reason to leave it at home, however I did see ordinary punters wandering about with serious lenses, a colleague who didn't have customer duties had his 7D and a 300mm with him, I even saw some tripods in the park. (I did take my my new Samsung P & S and I was happy with the results I got)

Yeah I saw some tripods at the end of the day, I just made use of a bin and stuck my camera under the lens to hold it up.

I would be interested to know if anyone has had any problems with the weymouth venue. Im hoping to take my 70-200L and 550D in my lowepro slingshot bag. Would this be Ok?

Rich

If the main London venues are fine I highly doubt you'll have a problem.

Take it and enjoy, maybe add a wide angle to your bag as well to get it some of the surroundings too though.

Security didn't seem to have a problem at all yesterday at the Olympic park - they just seemed to want to get people through as quickly as possible - took 2 bodies, 70-200, 10-20 and a 50mm. Actually they were more interested in my suntan cream than anything else.

Actually hats off to the people at security - the army chaps - they were quick, efficient and very pleasant - can't think G4S would have done anywhere near as good a job.

Security didn't seem to have a problem at all yesterday at the Olympic park - they just seemed to want to get people through as quickly as possible - took 2 bodies, 70-200, 10-20 and a 50mm. Actually they were more interested in my suntan cream than anything else.

Actually hats off to the people at security - the army chaps - they were quick, efficient and very pleasant - can't think G4S would have done anywhere near as good a job.

In what bag mate?

rhubarb said:

That exactly what I've taken to each event, how weird! I put all mine into a normal satchel. Didn't want to bring a proper camera bag.

I've just returned from 10 days in London. I went to gymnastics hockey and the athletics and had no problems getting in with my 18-55 and 55-250mm lens with camera body in lowepro altus 160 despite reservations. Equally I left it behind to go to wembley due to the so called rules and got in to see at least 20 people with dlsrs and long lenses. So don't worry about getting kit into venues where its allowed as it appears you can take it in where it is not allowed also!

I went to the weightlifting today at the Excel. Had a D3s and 70-200mm in my bag (messenger style) together with a 1.4TC and a 16-35mm too. Security didn't bat an eyelid. Just in case I had a copy of the LOCOG terms and conditions with me!

Didn't manage to get tickets to any events despite trying for hours online. Thought I would take in the atmosphere at Hyde Park as the next best thing. I didn't realise about the 6 inch rule but decided to chance it. On the Saturday I got through with my 70-200mm F4 no problems as my bag was scanned (y). Sunday was a different story however no scanners but a search by a security guard who refused to let me in :thumbsdown:. Was gutted as it was just before the Murray match and by the time we found somewhere else to watch it it had finished. :thumbsdown:

Didn't manage to get tickets to any events despite trying for hours online. Thought I would take in the atmosphere at Hyde Park as the next best thing. I didn't realise about the 6 inch rule but decided to chance it. On the Saturday I got through with my 70-200mm F4 no problems as my bag was scanned (y). Sunday was a different story however no scanners but a search by a security guard who refused to let me in :thumbsdown:. Was gutted as it was just before the Murray match and by the time we found somewhere else to watch it it had finished. :thumbsdown:

Have I understood this correctly - are you saying you were banned from going into watch an Olympic event on a big screen at a non-Olympic venue because your camera/lens was more than 6 inches?

Looks like you didnt get to see this :shrug:

smudgie49 said:
Have I understood this correctly - are you saying you were banned from going into watch an Olympic event on a big screen at a non-Olympic venue because your camera/lens was more than 6 inches?

Yes. The regs for London Live are different. It's run by BT.

Yes you understand correctly.

Looks like you didn't get to see this :shrug:

I did indeed miss this as I traveled down to London on Friday night and didn't access the forum (shame on me). It's a shame really but the rules were clearly stated outside the event :rules: so even if I feel they are harsh I can't really complain.

My sister was at the gymnastics on the first Saturday, she was arguing with the security guards for 1 hour , she had a 1D MK3 and a 70-300 L , they eventually let her in, she was telling them it was within the requirements.

Since then she has been to the cycling track, main stadium, wimbledon and swimming no problems at all.

A friend of mine was at the athletics yesterday and took this snap, looks like a 100-400 to me, lol

img20120806wa0005.jpg

Some from my sister:

ems6678.jpg

ems68402.jpg

ems6891.jpg

ems7248.jpg

ems6962.jpg

Have just this second entered the Olympic park with a Sigma 150-500mm! Hoping to get some nice shots of the athletics.

I attended the Olympic Park yesterday (Tuesday) for the morning athletics and the afternoon basketball.

Having read various posts, I was concerned about taking my 7D and both 24-105 and 100-400 lenses. I had even checked out Liverpool St Station's ability to hold luggage, as this would have been the fall-back position had security stopped me.

I needn't have bothered !

Security consisted of removing all metal objects from your person and putting them, together with any bags, through the x-ray machine.

I was carrying the 7D with 24-105 lens mounted, and had the 100-400 in its own carrying case, inside my back pack.

My bag was just exiting the x-ray machine when my heart missed a beat as I watched 3 officers looking at the x-ray screen.

When an officer said he wanted to look inside my bag, I thought that it :shake:

He went straight for the 100-400, and opened the case. The guy in charge then said to the officer, "no, you're looking for an aerosol, not a lens." :)

After a little confusion, the officer dealing with me was happy that the 200ml bottle in my bag was only sun cream. The aerosol was in my partners bag that followed mine through the scanner, and obviously was the bag shown on the screen, but nobody said a word to her !

The feeling inside when you first see the cauldron and the running track inside stadium is just magic.

If you can beg, borrow :)thinking:), or :naughty: tickets for the stadium, I really encourage you to go !

If you can beg, borrow :)thinking:), or :naughty: tickets for the stadium, I really encourage you to go !

Hooray! I'm going tomorrow night. (y)

(I know this doesn't add anything to the thread, I'm just feeling smug :D )

I got in the Olympic stadium yesterday with a 1D MkIII, a 24-70 2.8L, a 70-200 2.8L and a 1.4x teleconverter with no hassle whatsoever.

For anyone reading who hasn't been, the Greenwich Arena (O2 Arena) has the standard Olympic security xraying bags as usual, but then after the general milling about and that first security check there is then a second wall of security ( the ones that are employed by the O2 and usually allow no cameras, not even large bridge ones!) who check ALL bags by looking through them. So anyone hoping to chance them not looking in your bags at the Greenwich arena, no such luck.

Had no problems with the other venues so far, or with the Greenwich arena on the other couple of occasions, but the my most recent visit did result in the bloke in the second wave of security taking my 70-200 and zooming it in and out to see if it extended. It was fine as obviously this lens doesn't extend, but had I had a 150-500 I'm pretty sure it would have been not allowed in, as it seems to double in length when zoomed!

Haven't taken the 150-500 to any of the other venues, but barring the Greenwich Arena and the football places I think I lens of that size would be fine.

Last edited:
Back