London Eye photography restrictions?

feek

Herbert
Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I have booked a "flight" on the London Eye tomorrow evening and wandered if there were restrictions on taking photos whilst in the pod itself:shrug: Rob

I have heard of people being challenged around it (although I wasn't last sunday) but I don't know the official position when your on it.

4292661413_b4a4363c80.jpg
4292661407_88640f5139.jpg

Here are a couple that I took from the London Eye.There was no problem at the time,but it was in 2006.Not sure what the situation is now.

Nice shots Jeff. Well I'll give it a go Wayne and hope I'm lucky!

I took loads in May last year, didn't get challenged at all- outside or inside :)

14May.jpg

15May.jpg

Have fun!

Thanks Kitten, that gives me hope.:) Rob

i was there about 3 years ago. In the pod with about 20 japanese tourists. you couldn't hear yourself think for the sound of shutters!

I'm hoping that the pod will be empty-I don't think I'll be that lucky Allan

Was there last November (2009) no problems inside or out, although we did book the complete pod to ourselves (Dad's 80th birthday).

Matt

No restrictions Rob, but tripods are definitely prohibited.

Yep. Speaking from personal experience, they definitely don't like tripods anywhere near it, though I haven't tried to actually venture onboard with one.

Thanks for the info Matt, Marc and Rob. Won't be taking a tripod ( OH is only 5' tall and as I'm only 5' 8" she is a perfect hight to rest camera on), so shots will be hi ISO to get anything decent I guess. Rob

Yup, they remove tripods from people going on it. Other than that, I had no problems.

Pretty much. People like to move around the capsule, so they do get in the way as there`s not a lot of room inside them.

Mind you, they still let people on with pushchairs that I managed to trip over and then got a snotty look from the owner.. lol.

They are lovely shots Martin.
Good spot to shoot from by the looks of things!

i would love to go on the eye my fear of hights is to strong, so iwill just admire your photos.
i have photographed it from the ground with no problems though.

Hope mine are half as good as that Martin!:clap::clap::clap: rob

Tripods not allowed Rob, though if you are really clever or have a spacious bag, sneaking a monopod in might be an option ;)

This might be a bit late for you Rob, but for anyone else contemplating this, I recommend taking a rubber lens cap too if you can, to squash against that curvy glass.

A few from a TP flight...handheld at around 1/20 sec iirc

3057461288_11695c5b74_o.jpg

3057462550_b6d4966caa_o.jpg

3056626765_3778bca820_o.jpg

Definately thinking of doing this again this year at dusk, its just lovely

Thanks for that Yv- A fantastic set of shots- am going at 17.00 so might just get the lights coming on as it gets dark. Rob

Wow - these pics are great. I've not done any night photography yet. I think I'll have to give it a go, especially as I've an annual pass that includes London Eye and doesn't expire until July.

Yv, any other tips? Did you do much outside the camera to get those shots? Can you remember what time of the year you took these?

My longest lens is the 250mm end of a Canon 55-250mm zoom on a crop format, so I suppose that makes it 400mm once the 1.6x factor is taken into account. Assume that is more than enough reach.

Wow - these pics are great. I've not done any night photography yet. I think I'll have to give it a go, especially as I've an annual pass that includes London Eye and doesn't expire until July.

Yv, any other tips? Did you do much outside the camera to get those shots? Can you remember what time of the year you took these?

My longest lens is the 250mm end of a Canon 55-250mm zoom on a crop format, so I suppose that makes it 400mm once the 1.6x factor is taken into account. Assume that is more than enough reach.

You don,t want to use a long lens for the type of pics you will take from the Eye.The ones I took were with a 4mp Nikon Coolpix 4300.

Mine were shot using a Sigma 10-20mm, there wasn`t a great deal of post processing in mine, just levels and a bit of sharpening. The usual really.

Well I'm back and it was outstanding. Well worth the money. However, my shots were Shockingly bad. I only took 110 so the keep rate was going to be low. I also battled against rain and cloud which didn't help. Here's an idea- what about a TP meet in a Pod to gain experience and experiment? Just an idea, but could be fun and instructive? Rob

It was my OH's birthday and the planned suprise fell through so this was a last minute idea. I booked a fast track ticket which was £25 each for four of us. If you go the normal route its about £17. Rob

Like Martin Says, you dont need a long lens, totally the opposite in fact. Cant recall if those were the 10-20 or th wide end of 24-70 but will check when I get chance. Other tips...yes, learn to get your self as steady and braced as possible to hold camera nice and steady. Post processing was some noise reduction and bit of sharpening, that was it really.

Rob, I would be interested in a meet - last time it was spur of th emoment, we were there at the right time, very smll queues, so we grabbed at the chance.

How long are you in the pod for?

i would love to go on the eye my fear of hights is to strong, so iwill just admire your photos.
i have photographed it from the ground with no problems though.

Im the same, petrified of heights, but got convinced/forced on there :LOL:
It was ok actually, you can sit on the bench in the middle and enjoy the view without having to be close to the edge.

Found this on London Eye website:

Equipment
As well as being the UK's most popular paid-for visitor attraction, the London Eye is also a very busy site for media activity - one of the busiest in London. It is chosen as the location for many different reasons with the most popular of all being for pleasure. We also facilitate commercial projects, educational projects and opportunities that promote tourism for London and the UK.

We encourage filming and photography on many different levels including onsite photography exhibitions, photography master classes and student film programmes.

As a way of managing these projects alongside the visitor experience, like many other visitor attractions, we have in place some guidelines and equipment restrictions. Please note that the London Eye reserves the right to question or restrict items that are commonly used for professional purposes.

Photography
Restrictions apply to some types of photographic equipment. This will include (but is not restricted to): multiple lenses, long lenses and tripods. Those wishing to board the London Eye with any such equipment are advised to first contact the press office.

Filming
To use the London Eye as a location for filming please complete the film request form. Restrictions apply to some types of filming equipment, this includes (but is not restricted to) tripods, film cameras with external microphones or lights and cameras used for broadcast purposes.

I think I'll follow advice above and stick to my 10 -22mm with a steady hand!

Gary

Come on Rob let us have a look at a couple.Don,t be shy.

Tripods not allowed Rob, though if you are really clever or have a spacious bag, sneaking a monopod in might be an option ;)

This might be a bit late for you Rob, but for anyone else contemplating this, I recommend taking a rubber lens cap too if you can, to squash against that curvy glass.

A few from a TP flight...handheld at around 1/20 sec iirc

3057461288_11695c5b74_o.jpg

3057462550_b6d4966caa_o.jpg

3056626765_3778bca820_o.jpg

Definately thinking of doing this again this year at dusk, its just lovely

Those are really beautiful. They make me even think about going up in it and I'm terrified of heights

I'm thinking of taking another trip on the Eye pretty soon, seems silly not to as I'm in London. The last time I went on it was almost 5 years ago, long before I got into photography.

RE: shooting through glass, did anyone have a problem with dirty glass... and should I bring a polariser?

Also, please forgive me if I'm being thick, but I don't understand what Yv means by this:

Yv said:

:thinking:

Also, please forgive me if I'm being thick, but I don't understand what Yv means by this:

Basically, the curvature of the glass in the pod means that a rubber hood fits up against the glass better than a rigid plastic one which lets light in through the sides.

I didn`t have a problem re: dirty glass when I went up.

Back