London gets the Olympics in 2012

S

Steve

I don't believe it, we have the Olympics for the first time since 1948 :D

What does everyone think about this? Is it good, bad, how will it effect you?

First thought - loads more jobs, investments
Second thought - photo opportunties (to the power of 10)

I love it! I bet Jacques Chirac loves us even more now! :D

its great for us, probably wont affect us much apart from possible building contracts, but its unlikely that my company would be involved....

/sends information pack to architects

milou said:
First thought - loads more jobs, investments
Second thought - photo opportunties (to the power of 10)

More jobs and investment is a great thing but where is the investment likely to come from? Will it be private from private companies through sponsorship and advertisements or through the tax payer and the Government?

Ohh yes, the photos..I can just see the rows of white lenses in the background on the tv coverage. How much chance has the amateur got to get close enough to get any real opportunities?

I've not had a great day so far so cynicism is right up top with me today :eek:

I'm in the minority but I'd rather have seen them going else where, anywhere.

Don't see any benefit coming up this way and just see it as another excuse for the government to screw a not so few extra quid out of the taxpayer under false pretences. Just take every cost estimate, multiply it by 10, half the benefit for London, stick a big fat zero in for the rest of us and that should be pretty close.

Edit: reading that it's been a worse day than I thought ;)

It will boost our economy round here no end. We have already put in a bid to host the nipsy and wellie-throwing events, and are currently negotiating the tripe and pork pie franchises. Hotels are planned to accommodate the entire population of east London who will be renting out their properties during the event.

I'm sure that the Games will be a great success for London, based on their track record with the Millennium Dome and Wembley Stadium, but unfortunately Yorkshire is declaring UDI before we have to pay for it all. :D

I'm sure that Ken's Empire would have extended Northwards in the next 7 years :p

milou said:
I'm sure that Ken's Empire would have extended Northwards in the next 7 years :p

Ken has just been on the radio saying in effect that it won't cost London taxpayers that much as for each pound they will have to pay, the government and private sector together will pay another £9. He said "think of it this way, if I offered to totally renovate your house for a tenth of the cost you would rip my arm off"
:nut: :nut: :shock: :D

Boy am I glad I don't live in London. :D

Steve said:
Ken has just been on the radio saying in effect that it won't cost London taxpayers that much as for each pound they will have to pay, the government and private sector together will pay another £9. He said "think of it this way, if I offered to totally renovate your house for a tenth of the cost you would rip my arm off"
:nut: :nut: :shock: :D

Boy am I glad I don't live in London. :D

You and me both Steve ! :D

Heh - I commute into London three times per week. The other days I wing it at home. Hopefully it'll soon be twice in London and three times at home.

"Thank you for travelling with South west Trains" :thumb:

How do you predict the public travel system will cope with the increased volume that the Olympics will bring?

Steve said:
How do you predict the public travel system will cope with the increased volume that the Olympics will bring?

That's a good point. The train I usualy catch from Southampton (07:00) is usually packed to the gills by the time it reaches Winchester. My brother's a driver with SW Trains and I wonder if he's received any "inside" info about the company's plans. My office currently pays for my season ticket (woot! to the Civil Service) but that stops in November next year (they pay for the first 5 years) so I'll either have to pay for myself or maybe bike it into t'smoke or something. I doubt if much will change in the next 7 years (without wanting to sound too defeatist).

Edit: I've spelt usually correctly but it still posts at "usualy"

Back