London Goes Bonkers ! not Olympics !

Unfortunately I fear this is just the tip of the iceberg, with cameras phones getting much better and society becoming paranoid about threats to children (in most cases justified) it leaves the serious amateur and semi professional photographer vulnerable to allegations where he/she will be left trying to prove his innocence rather than someone else proving them guilty. At best it will be an ugly scene and at worst photographers could end up with loads of hassle and a tarnished reputation. :(

Steve said:
Unfortunately I fear this is just the tip of the iceberg, with cameras phones getting much better and society becoming paranoid about threats to children (in most cases justified) it leaves the serious amateur and semi professional photographer vulnerable to allegations where he/she will be left trying to prove his innocence rather than someone else proving them guilty. At best it will be an ugly scene and at worst photographers could end up with loads of hassle and a tarnished reputation. :(

This issue has been going on for a few months but the threat to children from people with cameras in the street is anything but justified. I have a good friend who works in a police child protection unit who tells me that in almost all cases where illegal photographs have been taken of children, they've been taken - indoors - by people who've groomed the victims over a long period of time and are generally close or well-known to said victims and their families.

The really sad thing is that paedophiles aren't interested in normal pictures of kids, which is why any emphasis on photographers will only go to ensure that the real despicable perpetrators will be able to breath easier. Even worse, I suspect that Ken Livingstone knows this but is merely trying to make himself being "Seen To Do Something".

Back