London Meet 19th Jan

Hope you can make it Nick. I'm hoping to use you in my Little & Large shot for FPOTY '19 ;):LOL:

well I almost laughed ,,,,,until I started wondering who you might have in mind for the LARGE person ,, ok so I ate a bit too much over Christmas ,,,,,

Hi folks, does anyone fancy a walk around the Olympic park on Saturday? Lots of photogenic buildings, the aquatic centre and the velodrome both offer some interesting opportunities and as a bonus West Ham are away at Bournemouth.

Part of the reason for suggesting this is I’m working at BT Sport at 4 and I won’t have to rush off so quickly if we’re already in Stratford

Hi folks, does anyone fancy a walk around the Olympic park on Saturday? Lots of photogenic buildings, the aquatic centre and the velodrome both offer some interesting opportunities and as a bonus West Ham are away at Bournemouth.
I don't mind where we go ,,,,,never been there for a walkabout , only been past it on the a12 ,,,,,,,,,,,how do we get there ?

Sounds good to me, never been so it would be a new thing....

I don't mind where we go ,,,,,never been there for a walkabout , only been past it on the a12 ,,,,,,,,,,,how do we get there ?

On the train to Hackney Wick or Stratford, or the tube - Jubilee line to Stratford, or District/Hammersmith and City line to Bow Road.
ETA... or quickest is just over 20 mins from Charing Cross - via Northern and then Central line to Stratford.

Also for a bit of variety/possible photo opportunities, if going out East to Stratford, on the way out, or way back, it's possible to get the DLR (driverless trains) to Royal Victoria station, then get the Emirates Airline (cable-car) across the Thames to the O2/Dome before picking up the tube there again (North Greenwich - Jubilee line). In fact, if on the Jubilee line, back into town, it goes via Canary Wharf - some interesting stations/buildings in that area if you like modern architecture.

All the above can be paid for with Oyster, or just your standard contactless debit/credit card (both are cheapest way to pay these days getting around London).

All the above are just ideas thrown out there. Personally, I really don't care where we go - it'll just be nice to get out and take some photos and more importantly meet up with some new people and have a beer (or 2 I hope)!

Last edited:
I propose a motion that the right honourable tp member c&c be the official guide ,,,,,do we have anyone to second that ?

Nikon F301 on the way.

I went hunting last night for the Bronica, in storage in Dr. Who's Tardis otherwise called the cupboard under the stairs. Functional film cameras I found none, and I counted twice (Minolta 7000 is distinctly non-functional). Conventional looking Nikon film cameras are all a damn silly price again now, but I remember the F301 being launched and having a reasonable rep at the time, so I'm going to get thi'sen a proper camera. Tempted by a Zorki 4 until I read the list of do's and don't about setting shutter speeds & cocking shutters - stuff that for a game of silly beggars, I want a 'proper' camera that lets me take pictures without acting like a prima donna.

I've also ordered a new battery for the wife's Chinon twin-lens compact. ;)

I propose a motion that the right honourable tp member c&c be the official guide ,,,,,do we have anyone to second that ?

...errrrm, I don't mind providing some advice on how to get from a to b etc.. but as it's my first ever TP meet, think I'd rather sit at the back drinking beer and shouting words of encouragement for whoever does want to be (or as a well established member, gets volunteered to be) the "official guide" !! :) :)

...errrrm, I don't mind providing some advice on how to get from a to b etc.. but as it's my first ever TP meet, think I'd rather sit at the back drinking beer and shouting words of encouragement for whoever does want to be (or as a well established member, gets volunteered to be) the "official guide" !! :) :)

We sort-of guided the F&C team around Oxford on our first ever meet (this will only be our second) so I wouldn't worry too much. But London is enormous and jam-packed with fantastic photographic opportunities, so I'm sure we'll burn through that film in no-time.

Just looked at trainfares with the idea of advanced tickets. £120 for 2 returns vs £30 on the bus to Baker street. :jawdrop: Bus it probably is then. :cool:

Guiding an F&C meet would be a little like herding cats.:D

Well you guys are brave walking around Olympic park as the forecast say it will be about 4c to 5c... anyway not many "tourists" to get in the way of shots.

There is also a Starbucks on the opposite side of The Strand, in between Accessorise and one of the other exits from the station. :thinking:

Some friends from the SF area said to me once: Friends don't let friends go to Starbucks! Mind you, I can't seem to get that message across to my daughter. Don't suppose Costa's much better in the tax-paying department, but definitely a better choice IMHO!

Some friends from the SF area said to me once: Friends don't let friends go to Starbucks! Mind you, I can't seem to get that message across to my daughter. Don't suppose Costa's much better in the tax-paying department, but definitely a better choice IMHO!
I don't drink coffee and neither of them can make a decent cup of tea so I wouldn't go into either of them by choice!

Or platting fog, especially if @ChrisR is involved. :LOL:

Very pleased to be mentioned, but no idea what this might refer to! :D

I'm sorry to say however that I'm now a "doubtful" as we have an appointment in the early evening so I'd have to rush off rather early. It's a bummer because we *never* normally have anything on in the evenings! Still a possibility though.

There's an Ansel Adams exhibition at the Atlas Gallery in Dorset St, Marylebone, until 2 February... Landscapes of the American West, if anyone's interested.

Well I'm not too bad walking as long as it's level and the walk is not too long and at a slow pace.......from Charing X stn to the national portrait gallery is uphill :eek:

What's up wiv ya man?!!
Start at the NPG, it'll be downhill then!:rolleyes::LOL:

Very interested. :)

Me too!

Oh hang on I can't get there:sulk:

If by chance anyone goes, perhaps they could sneak a few photos on one of them pixel pocket sized gadgets that do everything but receive phone calls, for me to see what I've missed!:(

Well I've avoided Costa for 20 plus years after asking for a coffee (IIRC at St Mary's hospital Paddington) and had to pay before she even made it...strange that you pay in advance h'mm well their medium size coffee was in a tiny plastic cup for £1.80 o_O and would guess many people on seeing the rip off........ told them to stuff it.

Love to come BUT I'm having an Ultrasound on my Abdomen at King George's Hospital near Romford -- getting a bit worried that my Prostate Cancer is coming back after 13 years ---

sorry you cant come Peter ,,, hope all is alright and you get a chance to join us another time

Love to come BUT I'm having an Ultrasound on my Abdomen at King George's Hospital near Romford -- getting a bit worried that my Prostate Cancer is coming back after 13 years ---
Fingers crossed that it's good news Pete.

@pentaxpete that's definitely a priority! I'm sure we all join together in hoping all is well.

As the others said, hope you get a good result.

What's up wiv ya man?!!
Start at the NPG, it'll be downhill then!:rolleyes::LOL:

If the meet was at Piccadilly circus then the National Portrait gallery would be nearly level ;) and downhill to Trafalgar sq etc...but for the British museum, Oxford st, Soho etc it's going slightly uphill o_O h'mm all irrelevant info to you youngens :rolleyes:
Oxford street was a Roman road and probably built on the highest point and prisoners from Newgate prison (originally near the old Bailey) traveled along Oxford st for a public hanging at Marble Arch. Some prisoners had a sense of humour as on the way to Marble arch and passing a pub some were offered a glass of beer and they said "I'll pay you on the way back". :)

Back