London London night photography.

Name
Ben Harris
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all.

I'm looking to go into London in the next few days to do some night photos. Looking for any locations that people can recommend that aren't full of people or have been overshot.
Any help
Is appreciated.

Remember to take a bodyguard in London at night with photography gear.

Well over 100 robberies or muggings a day in London.

Thanks mate. I couldn't seem to find any links. Just getting used to the app for the forum.

Remember to take a bodyguard in London at night with photography gear.

Well over 100 robberies or muggings a day in London.

So that's 0.00013% of the population affected or one incident per 15.7 square kilometres.

I'll take those odds.

What are the crime stats like where you live?

So that's 0.00013% of the population affected or one incident per 15.7 square kilometres.

I'll take those odds.

What are the crime stats like where you live?

The county I live in statistically has the lowest crime in the entire UK.

Still would not walk around the local town with a dslr at night.

The county I live in statistically has the lowest crime in the entire UK.

Still would not walk around the local town with a dslr at night.

TBH London is not bad at all. As long as you keep your wits about you. We weren't walking around brandishing the dslr. When not in use it was in the bag that was constantly across my body.

Having lived in and around London most of my life, main advice is 'common sense applies'.

I've carried a DSLR and a bag of kit without drama or fear of drama probably hundreds of times - join the tourists all doing the same in the touristy areas and your generally fine.

Would I walk around Hackney and Bethnal Green at 11pm....nah.

Usual night spots:

South Bank
Any of the bridges
Tower of London
Around the city, but you can get the odd bit of bother from security - a wet evening usually fends half of them off.
Piccadilly
St Kat's dock

What sort of stuff are you looking to shoot?

The Olympic Park is good at night, too, plenty of interestingly lit stuff. And there's a fair bit of security around - i live in the area and personally would take someone with me to keep an eye on the immediate area, and maybe stick to the areas where you can see security patrols.
Without being overly hysterical, I would avoid the canal paths in and around it though, as there's been a bit of a spike in muggings there and even though it's incredibly unlikely you'll see trouble, it makes sense to avoid the known problem areas!

Anywhere in the City as they keep the lights on in the tall buildings all night. And if you go along the Queen's Walk, which stretches from Westminster Bridge to Tower Bridge on the south side of the Thames, you can get good shots of clusters of buildings such as the Gherkin, the Walkie Talkie, Tower 42, the Cheese Grater, and Heron Tower from a position somewhere near London Bridge and Tower Bridge. There are more lit buildings around the More London area near City Hall.

Chinatown (Gerrard Street, Lisle Street, Shaftesbury Avenue) is always good for night shots of shops and people.

Back