London London Photoshoot locations?

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No
I'm taking a 23 year old female musician (guitarist) for a photoshoot in London on Saturday, I've got some general ideas - we'll start at Waterloo, walk along Southbank then over millennium bridge.

Broad strokes ideas...

Southbank - various art installations nice walking shots between trees perhaps
Financial district for hero shots with tall buildings and nice reflected light from glass
Barbican for portraits with long corridors, shadows and big open 'windows' for directional light
Millennium Bridge for some slow shutter portraits with people moving past
Coffee shop warm inviting, personal kind of shots
Underground tube trains and it's escalators
Brick Lane might have some interesting graffiti or general cool vibes
One New Change roof terrace with London skyline backdrop

Any other ideas for variety? any interesting places with .. err mirrors maybe?

Last edited:
What genre of music does she play?

I'm not familiar with it all, she does covers too, but a quick check of one her original songs reminds me of Ed Sheeran in genre, whatever genre that is :) folk-pop perhaps?

So it might also be nice to find some gardens :)

Last edited:
Not just Brick Lane but the area from around Fenchurch Street through Aldgate to Brick Lane can be good for architecture, street shots, local colour, and, of course, street art. Mirrors? The only ones I've noticed are the ones on the clothes stalls in Brick Lane. :D

I've seen there is an infinity mirror thing at the Tate, but you get 60 seconds in there and you have to book (free) in advance and there are no tickets..

I'll check out streetview for where you're suggesting :) cheers

Last edited:
There are Mirrors in the Gas holder at King Cross

Few places along the canal might be good, Camden Lock and Chalk Farm Roundhouse, that's musically orientated.
Then there is Centre Point at Tottenham Ct Rd and nearby Denmark St with all the musical instrument shops.

My boat was moored up in the yacht basin just behind that gasholder at St Pancras Lock
BBC filmed a kids series (The Queens Nose) there and they asked me to move my boat to get better access
I slipped and fell in the water, some of the film crew shouted man overboard, very embarassing.
Their food truck was nice though and I got free grub for my co-operation

Last edited:
Quite a few of the locations being mentioned are publicly accessible but privately owned with jobsworth security that might move you on if you're looking 'professional'

Roger that :D try to look unprofessional... :snaphappy:

Hackney Wick is where it's at these days
Really, who would have believed it.
My late ma worked in the Matchbox Cars factory there and I played football on the astroturf next to it.

Last edited:
Be careful on the South Bank, as already said don't look like a pro, and don't use a tripod, the security jobsworths will swoop as soon as you look like getting one out. I was doing some night shots around City Hall and I knew about the tripod ban. I had one on me because I'd been elsewhere, and I literally put it down on the ground, didn't open it or anything, just put it down to do a hand held, and before I could blink the stazi were hot footing it over to me telling me I couldn't use a tripod. Hand held is fine, even putting a camera on a bean bag on the wall is ok, but don't dare get a tripod out......

Be careful on the South Bank, as already said don't look like a pro, and don't use a tripod, the security jobsworths will swoop as soon as you look like getting one out. I was doing some night shots around City Hall and I knew about the tripod ban. I had one on me because I'd been elsewhere, and I literally put it down on the ground, didn't open it or anything, just put it down to do a hand held, and before I could blink the stazi were hot footing it over to me telling me I couldn't use a tripod. Hand held is fine, even putting a camera on a bean bag on the wall is ok, but don't dare get a tripod out......

wasn't planning on taking any tripod, can do down to a one second exposure handheld which is fine for a bit of pedestrian blur

Really, who would have believed it.
My late ma worked in the Matchbox Cars factory there and I played football on the astroturf next to it.
that's a great image - the place has been transformed, mainly from hipsters but the 'Olympic legacy' will eventually turn it all into tiny flats.

Canal + graffiti is quite photogenic. Hackney Wick overground has some good backdrops for portraits.

that's a great image - the place has been transformed, mainly from hipsters but the 'Olympic legacy' will eventually turn it all into tiny flats.

Canal + graffiti is quite photogenic. Hackney Wick overground has some good backdrops for portraits.
There used to be a pub there called The Tiger, one of very few Youngs pubs in the area.
Know that area very well, grew up near there, Hackney Speedway, Dogs on a Saturday morning then over the Orient.
Might even be some fish in that Canal now

Back