Loner or Social photographer?

Marcel

Kim Jong Bod
Admin
Name
Marcel
Edit My Images
Yes
Obviously this is aimed at at amateur and enthusiast, as opposed to the professional.

Do you prefer to go out taking shots on your own, or with likeminded people?
I, personally, prefer the social aspect of myself and a mate or two going out on a shoot, all likeminded.
It's more sets of eyes for a start, and most of the time the chap I go out with (Steve) sees shots that I just stumble on past and miss ;)
I have been out a few times on my own, but I don't enjoy it as much, feel quite uninspired and non-motivated and just end up going home.

So, loner or social?

Social, I usually go with my brother.

Plus it helps if with other people, like my trip with Steve and Matt to the F1 testing, you learn so much with other people, even if its a simple option on the camera that like the custom functions etc ! and i need major help with landscapes etc, as i find idont have the eye for them !

Landscapes are my favourite Ian so when you are up here soon we can see if we cant fit a few in.

Loner or social I really don't mind. I have off days at both..I am happiest when the photography works. :)

Loner by inclination when it comes to photography I suppose, although I tend to be the life and soul of any party (but find out next day) I certainly don't shun the company of others when snapping, but happiness is a rich environment and no distractions mostly. :)

Good post.

Loner, but thats not my preference.

I just don't know anyone locally to hook up with.

What Bachs said ^^

Although I suspect that doing candid/street stuff is likely to be easier and more productive if you go out on your own, and that's what I'm trying (unsuccessfully) to do more of.

Both - but the loner by choice and socially when I have to. I'm still on the learning curve and particularly with a 20D so I need and prefer time to think about settings, composition etc, etc, etc. The social part is when my wife is with me - holidays, weekends away and then I probably use priority and shoot away for the memento shots she likes to look at. Plus, if I spend time shooting manual, she's always looking back and saying "come on".

Sometimes I would like to shoot with another photographer so as to be able to bounce ideas and ask advice.

regards

stepheno said:
Sometimes I would like to shoot with another photographer so as to be able to bounce ideas and ask advice.

regards

If you are going to shoot socially it has to be with another photographer so that you are allowed as much time as you would like and can think, compose and plan your shots at your own pace. Shooting with someone that has no interest in the hobby will not help your photography at all.

Taking the camera with you on a family outing is altogether a different thing, you do it to record the special moments and memories of that time and if the shots come out to be something special its not through your social company on the day ;)

Are you joining us on the Chester Zoo trip, it will give you a chance to meet, share ideas and do photography with other like minded people?

Bachs said:
Loner, but thats not my preference.

I just don't know anyone locally to hook up with.
Same here, although I don't mind my own company....we have a lot to talk about :nut: . I like the idea of watching how someone else would go about taking there shot, what they are seeing and the steps they take to achieve there final image on camera. I have read countless number of books on photography but feel I could retain more information whilst actually watching someone in action. I always take my camera when out on day trips, picnics etc. And occassionally take my daughter with her camera on walks, but the majority of the time I go alone and tend to stick to quieter places. I would really like to do some city stuff but don't want the agro like some have recieved on here from the rsoles on the street. Night photography also appeals to me but once again I think safety in numbers would be the order of the day or night as in this case. Also sometimes I miss out because I just can't think of where i'd like to go and gets a little tiring shooting the same things over and over.
Good post Marcel. :)

fingerz said:
What Bachs said ^^

Although I suspect that doing candid/street stuff is likely to be easier and more productive if you go out on your own, and that's what I'm trying (unsuccessfully) to do more of.

Sometimes having a friend with you can be quite handy, they can act as a decoy and be positioned so that to the casual viewer it appears as though you are photographing your friend when really you are getting a candid shot of someone else ;)

Steve said:
...they can act as a decoy and be positioned so that to the casual viewer it appears as though you are photographing your friend when really you are getting a candid shot of someone else ;)

A technique employed to good effect on a recent holiday with some mates.

Incidentally, girls in Hungary and the Czech Republic are pretty hot.

Definitely a loner. I spend most of my day speaking to people and to get away from all of that is for me one of the best things about photography.

loner, got no mates

loner but not by choice, don't know anyone close by to go shooting with :(
up in middlesbrough if anyones interested ;)

As with a few who have said loner on the grounds that I don't know anyone to tag along with. Think I need someone with me to point out what and where I'm going wrong and how to put it right.

I'm going to look for a local camera club and see if I can tag along with them, unless there are any members here who live in the Berkshire area that wouldn't mind me tagging along with them?????

Like I said, I too am a loner sometimes, but would prefer social, so therefore it's not through choice. It's just that I don't know many others who I can ring up and say "Fancy doing some shooting today?"

Steve said:
Are you joining us on the Chester Zoo trip, it will give you a chance to meet, share ideas and do photography with other like minded people?

Thanks for the reminder Steve - I'll try.

regards

I would say most the time I am a loner, but given the chance I much prefer to go out with others.

loner i think, i'm quite happy with my own company. Took the girlfriend with me out on sunday for a few shots at my local marina and she wasn't a happy bunny...lol

moan moan moan, so definately solo next time me thinks.

very good idea from daveyuk about local camera clubs found this site - http://cameraclubs.photopro.co.uk/Index.asp - good thinking batman

A quick search in dorset turned up 8 one of them 5 mins from my home!!!

stupot said:
Took the girlfriend with me out on sunday for a few shots at my local marina and she wasn't a happy bunny...lol

moan moan moan, so definately solo next time me thinks.

Been there, done it, got the t-shirt.
The Mrs wasn't happy at all (about the girlfreind that is)

It doesn't matter to me if i'm alone or with others, my images suck anyway

I go out knowing what I want to capture and come back with something different :(

I don't know anyone else in the local area who's into to tography either, so getting tips is a hard one.

Both.

I think depending on what are we going to shot that day. But I enjoy a little chat while taking some shots.

:)

I"m a loner as well, not by choice though. I don't have any photog friends as of yet. :( As you all know I'm still learning too, so I need alot of time to think as well as to what I am doing. I"ve tried going with my other half and kiddies and it just doesn't work. They just don't get it. Too stressful. So if any of you happen to pass by the neighborhood, give me a ring. :p

Jewel

Buy a plane ticket for me and I'll come and do some photography with you ;)

ppuga said:
Jewel,

I will be in Toronto, next week! (hopefully buying a 20D!) how far r u from there?

Your not coming to Toronto just to buy a camera? I am not far from Toronto at all, about 45 min drive. If your serious let me know. When do you arrive in Toronto exactly?

Jewel

Jewel,

My trip to Toronto its a business trip, I work in advertising and I'm going there to supervise and finish an animation trailer for a movie theaters here in Mexico, the ones that are at the begining (feature presentation, cinemex sound, cooming soon trailers).
I will arrive to Toronto tomorrow night (friday, sept 2), in a Mexicana Airlines, I will be there for a week, till next friday at night that I take my plane back to Mexico.
I have free time this weekend (but not sure what to do yet), I'm traveling with some office mates. Monday its labour day, so I think nothing its open, and on Tuesday I will be working all week long.

On saturday I plan to visit Aden Camera, Henrys, and Downtown Camera looking for the best price and have the camera ready for the rest of the trip. (Any recommendation?)

May be on Monday I will rent a car and go visit Niagara Falls, Niagara on the lake, but it has to be on the morning because of labour day, the falls are closed at 2pm (I think, dont remeber.) May be that day we can meet, but not sure what the plans are exactly. I want to visit a friend who just go there to a photo school in Barrie, On. (I told him about the forum but still doesn't gets in, he will soon).

What do you recommend me to visit?

I MP you when I arrive to Toronto, tomorrow night from the hotel.

Cheers.

Hmmmm, this weekend is no good being a long weekend and all. I am in Peterborough this weekend at the trailor. It's the last long weekend for us here. Kids start school next week, so it's a busy week too, adjusting and all to the schedules. Just PM me when you get to the hotel on Friday or when ever you have a better idea as to your plans for the week. Let me know where you are in Toronto too. I won't get to it until Tuesday morning when I get back but, I'll see what I can do. It would be quite interesting to meet someone from the forums. I'll try my best. As far as recommending a place, I'll have to think on that one. I don't get out much. :p Just kidding. Niagra on the lake is real pretty, you'll like that. Didn't know the falls shut down at 2:00 though?? News to me,lol. So you have a friend up in Barrie? I lived in Barrie for a year and a half. It's beautiful up there. Lake Simcoe is sooo nice, and the people are great. Different from the city. That's two great places your visiting so far. Have a safe trip!:)

Jewel.

Cripes! That sounds like she's being sent down for a stretch!

lol

Marcel said:
Like I said, I too am a loner sometimes, but would prefer social, so therefore it's not through choice. It's just that I don't know many others who I can ring up and say "Fancy doing some shooting today?"
Hehe.

The other aspect that comes into things, is the age gap. I'm literally a 1 minute walk away from you, but you're probably twice the age of me.

That's the case amongst most forums though, there's not many 15 year olds that i know who have their own d-SLR :(

Age shouldn't really be an issue though, it's maturity.

Take Steve for example, we have had many a day tripping photography jaunt together, and he's, like, 300 years old :D

But the immaturity in both of us does show sometimes. (Mainly my fault though :p)

A few of us did a trip a couple of years ago, and the youngest was 17 at the time.

Marcel said:

Take Steve for example, we have had many a day tripping photography jaunt together, and he's, like, 300 years old :D

But the immaturity in both of us does show sometimes. (Mainly my fault though :p)

A few of us did a trip a couple of years ago, and the youngest was 17 at the time.
Yea, that's true.

Ah well, i'm 16 in 2 weeks anywho. Just a shame i can't make the Chester trip :(

Marcel said:

So true, I get younger as I get older :banana:

Back