1. AndyG123

AndyG123

Name:
    Andy
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Hi Guys just a quick one... Sometimes I find myself out with my camera with the strap and see an opportunity for long exposure... However as soon as I tripod mount it feels like my camera strap is some kind of parachute attracting every bit of wind!
    And getting a camera strap off and back on for me takes a diagram like tieing a Windsor knot! How do you guys combat the camera strap under long exposure or astrophotography shots?

ihasa likes this.
  2. rick448

rick448

Name:
    Rick
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Maybe use a Peak Design type strap which can be quickly removed and reattached.

gremlin16 and jerry12953 like this.
  3. Carl Hall

Carl Hall

Name:
    Carl
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I just loop mine over the camera and tripod once or twice so that it can't flap in the wind

omens, Mr Badger, Asha and 2 others like this.
  4. Jannyfox

Jannyfox

Name:
    Jan
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Get the Peak Design anchor/adaptor kit and you can quick release the strap whenever you want. However I normally keep a light hold of whatever strap is on the camera when it's tripod mounted, just in case the tripod goes over. For astrophotography I'm using an equatorial mount where the camera can end up in some strange places, so the neck strap gets wound round something so if anything comes loose it can't fall far.

5. Son_of_Thor

Son_of_Thor

Name:
    Si
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Peak Design Slide for me and I just unclip it unless I'm somewhere precarious and I want something extra to hold onto

realspeed likes this.
  6. AndyG123

AndyG123

Name:
    Andy
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Thanks I'll have a look... The next step is to stop my camera knocking my son in the head when I pick him up... The amount of times the poor little guys had a lens on the back of his head is unreal

7. momoka

momoka

Name:
    Jasmine
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I remove camera straps for all tripod photography using quick release clips.

gcgraphs likes this.
  8. Ganton Gunner

Ganton Gunner

Name:
    peter
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    i use optech and just un-clip the bulk of it

Graham W, gcgraphs and myotis like this.
  9. DG Phototraining

DG Phototraining Woof

Name:
    Dave
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Exactly this :agree:

Easy peasy and far easier, and cheaper, than a quick release strap

And you're right too that tripod, mirror up, and remote release is all negated by a flappy strap - yet I've seen some landscape vloggers doing exactly that! Pillocks :D

Dave

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018 at 8:03 AM
  10. swanseamale47

swanseamale47

Name:
    wayne clarke
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I just wrap the strap around the tripod head or handle. Not a fan of quick release straps after have one come undone and dropping my camera and 28-80 lens down on the road once.

11. gad-westy

gad-westy

Name:
    Graham
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I use a black rapid strap now but I’m more in the habit of just leaving the strap off unless I need it rather than the other way around. Screws on in a few seconds when it’s needed.

12. sirch

sirch Official Forum Numpty 2015

Name:
    Chris
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I tend to use a Joby sling strap that mounts on to the tripod "screw", so that means you have to take the strap off to put it on the tripod.

13. Ganton Gunner

Ganton Gunner

Name:
    peter
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I have one of them which I find great with my 200-500 etc. and like you say on a tripod it makes sense as you have to take it off :)

14. LeeRatters

LeeRatters

Name:
    Lee
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I just wrap mine around the tripod too in some fashion. I have been thinking about a Peak Design Slide Lite but I'm not fully convinced yet........

I could probably get away with no strap at all as I rarely walk with the camera around my neck anyway come to think of it!!

15. HoppyUK

HoppyUK

Name:
    Richard
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Wind is the number one enemy of tripod photography. For maximum stability, don't use the centre-column and reduce the tripod height if possible.

Even a slight breeze will nibble away at sharpness, especially with longer lenses. Big filter system attachments like Lee etc can also act like a sail. Check for wind buffeting in live view on max magnification and you can sometimes see the image moving. In which case, use image stabilisation and mirror lock-up.

16. Nod

Nod Kronus

Name:
    Nod (NOT Ethel!!!)
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Don't some cameras (or lenses) disable stabilisation when tripod mounted?

When I'm shooting on a tripod, I usually wind the strap round the legs unless it's windy, in which case I'll hold on to it for the duration of the exposure. I'll generally check the image afterwards to see if there is any visible camera shake and reshoot if necessary.

17. HoppyUK

HoppyUK

Name:
    Richard
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Some do.

It's commonly recommended to switch off image stabilisation when using a tripod as when the camera is perfectly stationary a feedback loop can develop in the system which causes movement of its own. Some older IS systems, eg Canon 100-400 Mk1, are very prone to this. Newer systems are much better and some have 'tripod sensing' that basically means they switch themselves off when there's zero movement, and will reactivate if wind buffet is detected, but this can't happen if you've already switched everything off.

There aren't really any hard and fast rules as systems vary and of course situations vary a great deal. FWIW my own rough rule of thumb is to leave IS on whenever there's a hand on the camera, eg monopod or gimbal, and also with long longer lenses if there's any kind of breeze.

18. Nod

Nod Kronus

Name:
    Nod (NOT Ethel!!!)
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Glad my memory's working (almost!) right.

TBH, I usually forget to switch VR/OIS off (because I'd forget to switch it back on...) for tripod shots but then again, any tripod shots will tend to be at long focal lengths so camera wobble is possible anyway. Not sure if the Fuji 100-400 or Nikkor 70-300 are too bothered but I seem to get decent enough results for my needs!

19. Sw33ty

Sw33ty

Name:
    Neil Sweeting
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Due to a health condition I need to use either a neck or wrist strap on my camera as I can loose all feeling & grip in my hands so if using the wrist strap which is the one I normally use it just gets placed over the head on the trip & it hasn't caused any issues at all even in strong wind & with the neck strap it get wound around the tripod head a few times again this has never caused me any problems with long exposure shots

20. Jase

Jase

Edit My Images:
    No
    If you need a strap then the Peak Design system is good for easy removal.

I tend not to use a strap at all when out on a hike/landscape shoot, the camera normally goes from bag to tripod or if I'm wondering around I just hand carry it. If i'm going to fall the camera is going with me whether it's on a strap or not.

21. Faldrax

Faldrax

Name:
    Jonathan
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    As with a couple of previous posters, I use the OpTech straps, so simple undo the quick release and the bulk of the strap is disconnected.

Note: I've never had a quick release connector fail, but have had my young daughter ask "What's this do?" as she squeezed the release clip...
    Fortunately, I use the dual harness, which connects to the camera at both strap lugs - and stays on me even when the camera is disconnected, so all that happened was my camera suddenly dangled a bit lower than normal...

22. welshwizard645

welshwizard645

Name:
    Peter
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Even worse when you have an oldish Tilt head on tripd which is straining with the weight of camera and lens in vertical format and even though I can splash out on camera and lens an L-bracket is such an extravagance.....I was doing a shot 8 weeks ago on Tower Bridge and couldn't focus as the camera was being buffeted - not as if it was a windy day either.

23. LeeRatters

LeeRatters

Name:
    Lee
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I bought an L Bracket from China - under £8 iirc. Probably the best accessory I've ever bought......!

HoppyUK likes this.
  24. Son_of_Thor

Son_of_Thor

Name:
    Si
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    You don't have to spend a lot - one of the best accessories I've bought

HoppyUK likes this.
  25. momoka

momoka

Name:
    Jasmine
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Similar, maybe £5/6 and I would not do without one now.

26. gad-westy

gad-westy

Name:
    Graham
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I feel like a right mug. My l-bracket cost £20. Saw me coming!