Look what I found under the bed ! (vintage digital)

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all,

When my dad died I inherited a load of photography gear which at the time I had no interest in as 99% of it was old film gear which at the time I thought was redundant (silly me) Most of it ended up in a cupboard and some under my bed ( I'd forgotten about this bit ) Fast forward five years or so and I found myself at Whitby Goth weekend dressed as a Victorian gentleman ( the gentleman bit was fake of course ) We spent the weekend talking to photographers and having to pose for pictures which ended up in galleries and news papers and even a little bit of video on the BBC. This sparked my interest and I thought I'll have a go with those old cameras ( if I could still get film) and if I take to it I'll get myself a DSLR, I did get a DSLR for a very very cheap price but I found this to be faulty and then later a Mirrorless but found I just did not like them and preferred film. Today I was moving everything from under the bed to do some DIY and came across a bit of digital history which I had completely forgotten existed, my dad brought a few digital cameras but never really used them as he also preferred film. I've been out this afternoon to give the camera a try, I have to say I'm quite impressed with the quality considering it's from 2003. I expected major dynamic range issues and just poor picture quality, There are some things which I find very useful an optical eye finder which zooms with the lens the fact it uses AA batteries. I turned the preview screen of and used it as a film camera taking a pic and walking away. They were all taken in auto mode with - 0.5 compensation apart from the flower pic which was taken in macro mode.
On the minus side it eats batteries which I seem to remember most of them did. Here are a few picture and way,
INBOX.JPG

BOX1.JPG

Last edited:
A few pics from the camera

From my garden in Macro mode
FLOWERS.JPG

Two showing it's zoom capabilities

ZOOM1.JPGZOOM2.JPG

In camera Black and white and sepia

B&W.JPG

Excuse the stick in the middle of the frame my grandson was fighting off Wompatatoes ( A alien creature I made up)

SERPIA.JPG

Last edited:
Something else I found under the bed from my electronic and Ham radio days ,taken with the camera.

OSCI.JPG

Colour with the alien fighter a little bit of blowout in the trees but no worse than my Sony A6000

colour.JPG

One from inside my summer house which is quite dark showing typical digital blowout

blowout.JPG

Last edited:
Neat , My dad had a small Kodac digital camera like the one you have not sure if its the same model , He was lost using it as he mostly used his 2 EOS 500 one with print film and one with slide , After some coaxing he took to the digital like a duck to water , He even won a couple of open print comps at the local camera club , The best one was 3 minature daff's in a painted pottery pot against a painted just for the photo fence panel . The Judge raved about the composition and balance of complimenting colous all selected from a colour wheel
RIP dad , 25/6/08 , Miss you every day

That shed could do with sprucing up a bit...

I'm not allowed in the summer house ( don't dare call it a shed ) if she finds out I've been in there and that you called it a shed we're both in trouble !

Lol! Not me mate!

*Runs away*

:exit:

O.k just realized you may have been referring to the shed with my grandson outside !

My first one was a Fuji A203 in about 2003, it actually took pleasing enough pictures and the novelty of almost unlimited photography for no additional l cost was amazing (and a good way to learn with hindsight). I was especially impressed by close ups of flowers and such.
WIth a bit of modern photoshop tweaking as good as typical modern phone files.
Problem was only having initially a 16mb memory card I mostly usd it on lower res and most of the stuff saved from it now is only 640 pixels longest side.015709_5929c261[1].jpg

I just had a look on ebay at old digital point and press cameras 1mp or less some are quite expensive !

Just realized where your photo is 4wd , I've only recently discovered Whitby and of course the antenna mast is not there anymore, My favorite place on earth at the moment the people are so nice and the town so beautiful ! Any idea what the mast was for ?

The mast may be coast guard related

Just realized where your photo is 4wd , I've only recently discovered Whitby and of course the antenna mast is not there anymore, My favorite place on earth at the moment the people are so nice and the town so beautiful ! Any idea what the mast was for ?
It's the TV relay the signal comes from Bilsdale 25 miles to the west so half the town had no reception.
It's further inland now at an industrial estate. Partly aesthetics (you do wonder how they ever got it there!) but there were concerns about cliff stability near the stays.

The mast was for analogue Television Transmission. The replacement was built at a different site

Makes sense A lot of Whitby is in a bit of a low point compared to the surrounding land and it would of looked a bit of an eyesore.

Back