Beginner Looking at micro 4/3rds camera.

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all, it's been a long time since posting in here. Sold up a while ago due to personal circumstances. However things are now on the up and I'm getting the photography bug again.

I have always like the idea of a compact sized camera with interchangeable lenses. So my question is which are good and which are crap, which brands should I avoid. Basically I've realised there's quite a few to choose from now so I'd like some help in choosing to match my budget.

My budget is £350 max. For this I'd like a body, lens and possibly flash?

So can anybody point me in the right direction of brands to go for and brands to avoid.

Thank in advance.

For your budget I would say look at Olympus m43 secondhand. Maybe an em5 or em10, should get one with lens easily in budget.

Loads of sample images HERE from lots of M43 cams!

I'm biased as have owned the EM10 and now the EM5-II and personally prefer Olympus over Panasonic in terms of body but it really is personal preference. I'd therefore recommend the Olympus EM10, although the Panasonic GX7 is also a cracking camera. Olympus cameras take a little bit of setting up straight out of the box, but once set up to your preferences they're great. It's a shame you can't raise your budget a touch as you can pick up a new EM10 with 14-42mm EZ (Pancake lens) for £419 on amazon at the mo.

These are the only 2 brands which do m4/3 cameras, but if you're looking at other compact systems as well I'd also recommend the Sony a6000.

For your budget I would say look at Olympus m43 secondhand. Maybe an em5 or em10, should get one with lens easily in budget.

+1. The price for the better olympus bodies tends to fall off a cliff after a year or so on the market as they edge towards the next model, so it's certainly possible to get very good value on some of these second hand now. They all use basically the same sensor as well, so the only difference is the features and ergonomics etc.

Also, if you do your research, some of the consumer grade lenses give incredible performance for the money they cost, so it's entirely possible to build up a very nice little kit on the cheap these days.

+1. The price for the better olympus bodies tends to fall off a cliff after a year or so on the market as they edge towards the next model, so it's certainly possible to get very good value on some of these second hand now. They all use basically the same sensor as well, so the only difference is the features and ergonomics etc.

Also, if you do your research, some of the consumer grade lenses give incredible performance for the money they cost, so it's entirely possible to build up a very nice little kit on the cheap these days.

+1.

I don't think there are any brands to avoid; just go on ergonomics. Note that some of the best lenses available are not cheap, though!

+1.

I don't think there are any brands to avoid; just go on ergonomics. Note that some of the best lenses available are not cheap, though!
Agree, but there are also some decent lenses that are reasonable cost wise - Sigma Art, 19/30/60mm, the Olly 40-150mm is good for the money too. The Panny 14mm, all can be had for very little money.

Agree, but there are also some decent lenses that are reasonable cost wise - Sigma Art, 19/30/60mm, the Olly 40-150mm is good for the money too. The Panny 14mm, all can be had for very little money.
And the 45mm f1.8

(y)

Thanks everyone some great input and lots for me to think over.

I could raise my budget but that would only be after Christmas and well, I want it now lol.

Yeah, ideally think I'd like a view finder. Screens are good but on sunny days (a rare occasion in England I know) it'd be nice to have a viewfinder so I'm not squinting at a screen to line a shot up.

I used to have a e-pl5 which was similar but found the lack of control dials frustrating. Personally I'd be looking to try and get a Gx7 / e-p5 style body, or one of the EM5 style bodies, perhaps with just one lens.

I have a GX7 and its a great little camera, got a good EVF too, should be able to get one with kit lens within your budget used.

I have a GX7 and its a great little camera, got a good EVF too, should be able to get one with kit lens within your budget used.
For me it would be between this and the EM10, that's what I narrowed it down to when I first started looking at m4/3. Ended up with the EM10 as I preferred the controls, ergonomics and VF, but it's for these reasons it's so important to try them for yourself.

I've had the GX7 and currently have the E10. Both are great cameras and produce some good results. I just prefer the looks and feel of the E10.

I have a GX7 and gotta say that although it's a good little camera I can't get on with the EVF and therefore hardly use the camera. Many may not have an issue with the EVF but for me unlike any other EVF equipped camera I've owned it's camera ruining and I'd advise anyone interested in this camera to try before they buy and make sure they like or can at least live with the EVF, I can't.

Depends what you are after. I have owned a GF1, GF3, GH1, GH2 and Oly OMD. IMO the af system on the Panasonics is better but the IQ is better on the Oly.

Unsure what I'm after hence the thread. I'd like to broaden my options as I've said already the 4/3 is all new to me. I'm off to a few stores today to have a browse and a feel of the cameras.

Back