Looking Down On The World (Final 3)

Dark Star

TPer Emeritus
Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
A few more from the top of the monument from my recent day in London. I thought these would make a nice series.
Your thoughts, opinions, comments and criticisms would be most welcome :):

1)

2-more-on-high.jpg

2)

2-looking.jpg

3)

chimps.jpg

4)

photo-on-high.jpg

5)

3-on-high.jpg

6)

goodbye.jpg

Last one is great, John. Looks like an advert!

yeah - agreed - the last one is excellent. But they're all really good. I especially like the fact that they're almost B&W shots, with patches of colour

Like these a lot. I can just imagine the girl in the first one saying "Why can't you ever ask for directions?" :LOL:

Thanks for the kind comments all!

Tank there is no selective colour work on these, I think the natural 'mono' feel of the pavement/road just gives it that feel that mobilevirgin highlights above.

That last one is a real winner although I find them all interesting. That would make a fantastic stock photo.

I really like these types of image. There's something voyeuristic about them, but not in a creepy way, if that makes sense?
There's a few there that if you hadn't already posted them, would make a good entry for this months competition....

I really like these, like someone said earlier - it's kind of voyeuristic, I think it's the angle that makes it not creepy. I don't care about creepiness anyway :) s'better than people mugging at the camera like Jim Carrey.

Anyway, great work!

What I really like about these is the theme of the red or yellow lines in all of them, it gives the shots real continuity and a sense of being a series. For that reason No4 is a little out of place for me :shrug:

What I really like about these is the theme of the red or yellow lines in all of them, it gives the shots real continuity and a sense of being a series. For that reason No4 is a little out of place for me :shrug:

Thanks Paul - its funny the lines weren't the theme for me - it was the grey pavement and people from above but I see what you're saying and it works

Here's three more (one previously posted):

2-onhigh.jpg

Here's the guy in number 5

walker.jpg

And our scooter rider on his way

gone.jpg

I agree on the (unintentional) coloured line theme, but #4 stood out for me because of the way the white-line 'V' pointed at the snapper, the girl was stood on a white line,and there was a big arrow telling her where to look...

/must get a life :)

(y) Superb again John :) Isn't it interesting the way we all see photos differently and different things in them appeal to us in different ways? For me the first thing that stood out was the bold red lines yet, as you say, that wasn't what you were trying to convey in the shots at all :thinking:

I could see Nos 1, 3 and 5 working really well as a framed triptych btw ;)

I agree on the (unintentional) coloured line theme, but #4 stood out for me because of the way the white-line 'V' pointed at the snapper, the girl was stood on a white line,and there was a big arrow telling her where to look...

/must get a life :)

Now that was intentional!!!! :D

Very nice set of shots, especially as has been said, no. 4 :D

Brilliant, esp #4 and #6. Very inventive :clap:

Love these kind of shots.. Just need someone who owns a helicoptor and will fly me off to exotic locations to hover over stuff ;)

Love these kind of shots.. Just need someone who owns a helicoptor and will fly me off to exotic locations to hover over stuff ;)

TY or you could spend 2 quid to walk the 360+ steps up to the top of the Monument!!!:D And, trust me, at my age thats hard work!!!!

Been thinking a lot about these today, I really like them. What about getting a few friends and writing a little story that they could act out below you. That would make a super exhibition in an otherwise deserted/sparsely decorated gallery.

Shame the girl didn't go off on the back of the scooter though. :crying:

Here are the last 3 (promise ;) ) I have more but I won't subject you to them.

I have really enjoyed taking and processing this series and many, many thanks for the positive comments! As to Chuck's staged shoot - hmmm - I'll start on the script and look for a cast! Its not a bad idea at all!:D

Another photographer

orange.jpg

The most people I caught in one frame!

crowd.jpg

Loitering

car.jpg

As to Chuck's staged shoot - hmmm - I'll start on the script and look for a cast! Its not a bad idea at all!:D

Glad you liked it, I was afraid I'd been a bit presumptuous for a while

Thanks Adam, if you look at the reflection in the rear window in the last one you can see my vantage point!

Oh yea so you can ...quite an iconic car for the Year too mate. Everyone secretly wants one of those I reckon. :D

I think the scooter shot is the fabest of the bunch btw, I've tinkered with it myself to see if theirs a better crop and the possibility of cloning out stuff ... Nope, I found, best left exactly as is. ...It’s a cracker. :clap:

Thats my favourite as well Adam. This whole exercise was about cropping for me. So much space to play with. Each shot went through a process of slight rotation to make sense of the lines and some cropping. Plus of course a dash of HDR :D

Stirred and not shaken. ;) I thought I saw that hint in the last few, heehe.

I crop nearly all my images to some degree, very useful part of understanding the thirds rules more intimately and teaching myself how to frame more accurately in future....not always possible from a fixed distance but you get what I mean I'm sure.

Just out of interest, and if you can be bothered :D ( Its been a good long thread already etc.) .. was there one or more photos out of this set that was transformed totally by a crop?

Cool - but if it ends up looking better than my version....:bat: :D :LOL:

i really like these, can i ask what sort of PP work you have done?

Thanks PPP, In all these shots I've taken one RAW and corrected for exposure and ended up with 3 Tiff's -2,0,+2 exposure.

This I open in Photomatix and use the generate HDR feature

Then I use tone mapping to adjust to an overall look I like

Then I save as a JPG and open in CS

The rest of the work is rotation and cropping, some level adjustment, some saturation if necessary, cloning etc and resize and save for web.

I'm no wizard at the PP stuff and I owe lots to Pete Carr's excellent HDR guide! Which I recommend heartily!

Back