Looking for a monitor or standalone tablet for stylus drawing.

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm looking for some device with a display that I can draw on with a pen or stylus, whilst reclining on the sofa.

Screen size somewhere between 13"-22".
Must support a stylus or pen.
It could be like a large Android tablet, but then I'd be limited on apps and so not ideal.
It could be like a touch monitor that I'd attach to a PC. But then it would have to be lap friendly, with a simple connection and power cable situation.

I just want to be able to do a variety of PC like tasks, including photo editing or drawing, from the sofa. Where mouse use is tricky.

I didn't know the correct search terminology and only found this small monitor. https://magedok-shop.myshopify.com/

Last edited:
Wacom MobileStudio Pro 16 running Windows 10 for about two and a half grand ....

Or if you had a laptop that could be placed nearby (coffee table?) in view, you could have a Wacom tablet on your knee and connect by usb or wi-fi (optional). You might need an on-display keyboard enabled?

Don't MS Surface products have a pen?

Wouldn't an optical mouse work on sofa fabric?

Last edited:
Wacom MobileStudio Pro 16 running Windows 10 for about two and a half grand ....

Or if you had a laptop that could be placed nearby (coffee table?) in view, you could have a Wacom tablet on your knee and connect by usb or wi-fi (optional). You might need an on-display keyboard enabled?

Don't MS Surface products have a pen?

Wouldn't an optical mouse work on sofa fabric?
Thanks. The Wacom looks good. The ultimate luxury solution. But I don't need the high spec, 4k. i5. And at a cost of 10 tablets, it's a lot for something I'm not sure will be suitable.

The problem is there is nowhere to prop up a screen. I thought my lap is the best bet.

I've tried a mouse on the sofa. It works. But after a while it's an arm strain.

Last edited:
Update: I found that "pen monitor" gets good search results. Resulting in some nice lap friendly devices from 10" to 22". With slimline side connectors. And prices between 360€ to 800€. From Gaomon, Huion, XP-Pen, Yiynova, Expression and Parblo.
67f0371ab8.jpg

The idea is it's like using an Android tablet on the sofa. But using PC apps instead, and getting stuff done. As the pen has mouse-like operation, and not tablet "fat finger" operation.

It might not work out that way though. Let's see.

Last edited:
I'm now looking at pen compatible 2in1 laptops as well. As they are not much more expensive than these pen monitors and can be used away from home too. The problem is knowing how well the pen works before spending lots of money and then needing to post things back.

Last edited:
you may can get a xp-pen artist 12 / 13.3 / 15.6 Pro : xp-pen.com/series/Artist-display.html pen display monitor . you only need connect it to a laptop . you can using it on the sofa , put it on your knees .

I recently got the artist 12 pro . I've found the artist 12 pro a little small to work on but I do like how portable it is. the roller wheel on the sidebar are very useful and the pen is excellent.

or you may can get a ipad pro or surface pro which come with a digital stylus .
Thanks. I did look online at the xp pen range. They looked nice, but I was worried how well they would work for drawing and other everyday computer tasks. I ended up buying a laptop with touchscreen and active stylus/pen. A Lenovo Yoga 530 Ideapad. Very nice and not expensive.

It seems the behavior of the pen is designed more for painting than drawing curves (vectors) on the devices I tried out. Meaning if you touch the nib on the surface it counts as a click. Meaning you need to hover it off the surface the whole time. And to perform a click moving the nib down to the surface always causes a slight movement of the cursor at the last second. Quite an undesirable effect when you need to be accurate with drawing or any operation when you want to accurately click an object. Often that movement can count as a drag operation. With a mouse you can park the cursor exactly first. The cursor doesn't move when you click a button. You can also rest your hand on the mouse and park the cursor exactly where needed. You don't need to hover it for long periods.

It has been interesting discovering the difference in needs between painting and drawing or operating other non graphical applications. Such as a file manager. So it would be nice to find a way to switch into real "mouse" mode. Where you are in contact before applying a click, and optional hold-a-key to tap-click. And also a quick toggle to switch modes if needed.

Last edited:
Back