Looking for advice on cameras for video

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi
I'm looking for some advice on using a DSLR/SLT camera for video.I shoot stills with a Sony A77ii, but know nothing about video. My son is at Uni studying Creative Digital Media and has expressed an interest in getting himself his own camera rather than borrowing from the uni. It seems that they use a mix of Canon/Nikon and Sony.
Realistically, what are the options for <£1000 (including lens - zoom?) - I assume that it would need the option of 4K as well as standard HD?

He will be using the camera for photographs as well as video.

I realise that there are many variables/options and that my queries are pretty vague, but any help is appreciated.

As I shoot Sony, I did look at the A68, but it doesn't shoot in 4K. The A7 range are too expensive.

Last edited:
Never had much success with my Nikon D800 in video mode. Even using an extrnl mike mounted on extended support on top of the camera I got a lot of clicking focus chainging sounds. I had to go into manual mode which is awkward even on a tripod. Much prefer my Panasonic HC-X900m camcorder and just posted a video of a gannet in flight I took with it.
Remember cameras have a limited recording time camcorders don't, it is all to do with licencing

Last edited:
Never had much success with my Nikon D800 in video mode. Even using an extrnl mike mounted on extended support on top of the camera I got a lot of clicking focus chainging sounds. I had to go into manual mode which is awkward even on a tripod. Much prefer my Panasonic HC-X900m camcorder and just posted a video of a gannet in flight I took with it.
Remember cameras have a limited recording time camcorders don't, it is all to do with licencing

The Panasonic GH4 has 30 mins recording time but the GH4R and the GH5 are only limited by the size of the memory.

The Panasonic GH4 has 30 mins recording time but the GH4R and the GH5 are only limited by the size of the memory.

I didn't know that, they must have got a licence for unlimited recording on those latter two cameras then. The price though is about double that of a top of range consumer camcorder that also takes stills.

Sorry about font size it was taken direct off advertising site

Panasonic HC-X920 3MOS Ultrafine Full HD Camcorder =£625

Last edited:
Panasonic have a great range of cameras that shoot stills as well as 4K video.
The best value ones (imho) are the. G7, the G80 the gh4 and the gx80
The gh5 is an amazing camera that does everything amazingly well, but it is quite expensive.
Good luck choosing!

I think the G80/85 would be a great camera for your son to start off with before investing on the more expensive GH5.

It's not common to use autofocus when shooting video. Recording length is more an import duty problem than licensing.
Hi
I'm looking for some advice on using a DSLR/SLT camera for video.I shoot stills with a Sony A77ii, but know nothing about video. My son is at Uni studying Creative Digital Media and has expressed an interest in getting himself his own camera rather than borrowing from the uni. It seems that they use a mix of Canon/Nikon and Sony.
Realistically, what are the options for <£1000 (including lens - zoom?) - I assume that it would need the option of 4K as well as standard HD?

He will be using the camera for photographs as well as video.

I realise that there are many variables/options and that my queries are pretty vague, but any help is appreciated.

As I shoot Sony, I did look at the A68, but it doesn't shoot in 4K. The A7 range are too expensive.
There are 2 basic standards for high resolution video:
4k is a cinema standard supporting 4096x2160.
UHDTV is a broadcast standard of 3840x2160.

Cameras like the GH5 also have the ability to capture HDR video using either a proprietary system like V-log or a standardised system like HLG (developed to work on current workflows by the BBC)

Your son needs to go away and work out what he needs the camera to do. Does he just need a good HD camera? Does he need an element of future proofing? Does he have access to HDR viewing equipment?

Back