Looking for an "action" camera... GoPro or not?

Edit My Images
No
Hi all

I've got some trips away planned and some wildlife photography hide visits.

Considering buying an action cam to put on a small tripod to record any action I may want to watch later on. Doesn't need to be broadcast quality.

GoPro HERO11 looks to be about £350-400.

Are there any decent alternatives?
Approx how much storage would I need to record for 6 hours?
Can any action cams run off an external USB power supply? (I'll be stationary so weight isn't really an issue)

Thank you in advance!

I use gopro 7 black...on my 64gb card set at 1080 / 50 fps i get 3.50 hrs .. however i use 2.7k so I can zoom in later and that gives me 2 hrs .. so bigger card easy to work out

if using on a tripod an 11 might be overkill but the battery is supposed to be better

not sure if that helps but i was bored :)

Action 3 from DJI is pretty good and has much better battery life than gopro, you can connect a powerbank or PD charger by USB-C to more or less keep them going indefinitely.
£309 on Amazon they were £280 a little while ago so if not in a rush watch prices for a while.
The original Osmo Action is good too and now available under £200
I think a 256GB card might be enough to record 4K for six hours but 2.7K would be more manageable and 1080p is fine for most things.

I'm not sure any GoPro has a battery that lasts more than two or three hours. I still use a GoPro Hero3+ and that battery lasts just about two hours; I use it for recording cycle excursions. I did have to buy two new batteries over the years, one of which doesn't last very long but the second replacement lasts longer than the original did when new. When I was researching into buying a new camera for better battery life I was rather disappointed with the results; none of them last for what I want, hence I stuck with the devil I knew. I don't know if the new ones are any different from mine but certainly in the case of the GoPro 3+ you couldn't use the camera while it was charging so -- referring to post by 4wd, above -- I couldn't charge from a power bank while using it.

If you find one that has a very long battery life, come back here an tell me about it, I'll get one too.

Last edited:
I use a Hero 9, i have the side door that has the usb opening, ive shot 15hr timelapses just by plugging a power bank into the usb slot through the opening. When i finished the power bank was down to 35% and the GoPro at 98% that was a 10000mah power bank. It just kept the GoPro topped up, it was taking a shot every 5 seconds.

I use a Hero 9, i have the side door that has the usb opening, ive shot 15hr timelapses just by plugging a power bank into the usb slot through the opening. When i finished the power bank was down to 35% and the GoPro at 98% that was a 10000mah power bank. It just kept the GoPro topped up, it was taking a shot every 5 seconds.

Juts save me doing the math.. how big was the mem card please ? :)

128gb, dont forget i was just taking still images around 4500 of them.

Thanks! Yeagh I have never tried a timelapse but have a project at the back of my mind... very early thought stage :)

PS Did the GoPro get hot.. was this indoors or out (relative)

Last edited:
You can buy an accessory door from go pro that allows you to plug in a USB C connector so that you can run it off a power bank.

You can just take the door off... You only need the accessory door if your expecting rain... Indoors or covered you dont need.

Back