Beginner Looking for my first camera. I have a few in mind

Edit My Images
No
Hi all

First of all, happy new year to you all and as you can tell I have just registered.
I came across this site when googling about certain cameras and found the topics interesting in particular the Images posted in specific owner threads.

the same type of questions generally get asked in regard to which camera should I buy etc, and it seems that there is specific requirements that play a big part of choosing the right camera

Obviously I want my camera to be the correct investment but I generally have a habit of picking up and putting down gadgets so probably starting the lower end is the sensible thing to do and there is a learning curve to this so I am not looking at breaking the bank but I am looking for a camera that is somewhat versatile, heck they all maybe to an extent but I will go in to more detail as to my requirements or to provide a better understanding of what I am looking for.

First of all budget. £500 to £700 (preferably closer to the £500 mark, considering it is my first however tempted towards the latter price if it seems to be the right choice, I dont know what that is yet) I am also the type of person to look out of budget if it is such a good offer you cannot refuse.

I would mainly use this for videoing my son playing football, either doing YouTube skill videos or just general practice, he has his own channel and I enjoy recording him. I currently use a go pro silver via a head strap and the footage comes out well enough, but I want to add addional better camera for greater detail\close up where required to add further angle to the footage etc.

Also he plays I a team and having something to hand to grab those moments in good quality, zoom would be required I guess. We are stood quite close though

Family holidays is another requirement, we go to Disney in Florida in May and I want to obviously put together a family video, of video footage and stills.
Fireworks in good quality would be good (obviously not easy and various levels of quality with different user and technology) but I wouldn't be rocking up with a big rig so to speak and setting up, I woild say that is part of the reason I have been looking at the following cameras

Panasonic gx80 - this is currently £200 cheaper due to the cash back offer and available until the 9th Jan. So really considering this, one draw back is the sound quality and no external mic option. I may not even get in to video that much to have external mics but good enough quality out of the box would be preferable to capture what is going on in good enough detail. I feel this is where this camera is lacking and probably stopped me pulling the trigger. Maybe others can comment on this camera?

Sony rx100 - seems to be recommended across the forums and is impressive even in the earlier version. This is now version V I think, and i struggle to commit to the later version but looking at the mark 2 version which would work out similar price to the Panasonic after the discount.

Canon g7x - popular with the vloggers so audio should not be an issue, slightly more expensive than the others

Panasonic fz1000 - this looks good, slightly bigger than he rest but not a show stopper and seems reasonable for the price from what I can see.

Considering it is my first camera, I am likely to be pleased with all to an extent, so if price was such a steal of an offer on either then I may gravitate towards that.

Any others to consider In that price range, I do like the convenience of the smaller cameras.
Thanks

Hello

I have purchased an FZ1000 recently - and wholeheartedly recommend it. I've yet to pop up some pictures, but I recently went to the zoo to give it a good go and was massively impressed with it. The speed of the focusing, the incredible viewfinder (nicer looking through it than in real life!) and the performance at high ISO is fantastoc - and I still find it unbelievable. I am coming from a traditional bridge camera (v lux) which has a smaller sensor. This is a true run for your money DSLR alternative in my opinion.

Hello

I have purchased an FZ1000 recently - and wholeheartedly recommend it. I've yet to pop up some pictures, but I recently went to the zoo to give it a good go and was massively impressed with it. The speed of the focusing, the incredible viewfinder (nicer looking through it than in real life!) and the performance at high ISO is fantastoc - and I still find it unbelievable. I am coming from a traditional bridge camera (v lux) which has a smaller sensor. This is a true run for your money DSLR alternative in my opinion.
Hi, How is the battery life on it?
Certainly looks a good camera, do you do much video with it?

I can't speak to the others you mention, but I have the mk1 Sony and it is an excellent camera. I use it as my take anywhere camera when I am not intending to use the DSLR. There is quite a long thread dedicated to it here https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/sony-rx100.433610/

Thanks, will check it out.
Do you use it for video footage. If so any feedback on that in terms of quality and internal mic?
Any idea which is the best value in this model.

Last edited:
Hi, How is the battery life on it?
Certainly looks a good camera, do you do much video with it?

Thanks, will check it out.
Do you use it for video footage. If so any feedback on that in terms of quality and internal mic?
Any idea which is the best value in this model.

Battery life is excellent. I purchased a spare at the same time, I went to the zoo this weekend and took over 300 shots (and maybe about 15 mins of video) and the meter was still on full! I'm going through the pictures and videos I took today/afternoon so check them out on the bridge camera thread. Even looking on the camera screen, I am massively impressed. I can't believe how far on these types of cameras have progressed since mine.

Battery life is excellent. I purchased a spare at the same time, I went to the zoo this weekend and took over 300 shots (and maybe about 15 mins of video) and the meter was still on full! I'm going through the pictures and videos I took today/afternoon so check them out on the bridge camera thread. Even looking on the camera screen, I am massively impressed. I can't believe how far on these types of cameras have progressed since mine.
Just have, cracking shots

The gx80 sounds great value.
It does seem to be considering I can get it for £447 for
Panasonic GX80 digital compact system camera + 12-32mm + 35-100mm lens Kit

Last edited:
Just have, cracking shots

It does seem to be considering I can get it for £447 for
Panasonic GX80 digital compact system camera + 12-32mm + 35-100mm lens Kit
I don't shoot video but Panasonic do a very good job of it so I hear.

Just to update
I have pulled the trigger on the Panasonic GX80 digital compact system camera + 12-32mm + 35-100mm lens Kit - Black

I got this for 449 after the £200 cash back from park cameras
Good price I thought.

I also bought the following case https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0098X9WX6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What else should I look at, I need an SD card just don't know which yet, but I expect needs to be suitable for 4K recording and adequate operational size, any suggestions

Batteries are on the list, anything else I might be missing

I hope you have a great time enjoying your new camera!
I haven't tried that model but I can recommend Sandisk Extreme Pro UHS-1 SD Cards- I've used 16GB cards in my cameras (One of which was an OMD-EM1 which is kinda similar, as well as in a Nikon DF, Leica Q, Leica M) as I don't shoot video but they also sell 32gb,64,128 etc- I think 32GB cards are about £14 on Amazon these days! Super fast and have never failed or slowed down!

I hope you have a great time enjoying your new camera!
I haven't tried that model but I can recommend Sandisk Extreme Pro UHS-1 SD Cards- I've used 16GB cards in my cameras (One of which was an OMD-EM1 which is kinda similar, as well as in a Nikon DF, Leica Q, Leica M) as I don't shoot video but they also sell 32gb,64,128 etc- I think 32GB cards are about £14 on Amazon these days! Super fast and have never failed or slowed down!

I bought a couple of Sandisk Extreme 64gb off Ebay - they were about £20 each - thought its worth it depending on how much I end up shooting 4K etc. not failed and are pretty quick
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321999758970

Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Be careful!
Was just thinking that before actually

Better of with multiple as smaller sizes.
Maybe 128gb and 2x64 would have been better but didn't look at the prices and jumped in both feet

Will see how it goes ore holiday and if fails on holiday will go to a shop and bite the bullet
Cheers

Back