Looking for some advice (Fashion shoot)

Name
George
Edit My Images
Yes
It's been a while since I've picked up my camera........I remember the basics with DOF, apature and stuff like that (which is a start i suppose).

I've been asked to take some pictures for a young designer starting out for her web site.
(I've said no problems, I don't mind doing it as a favour, she's only graduated this year so not exactly loaded, but have also tried not to set expectations so high).

I am just after some general advice about how to go about this as it's something I've never really done before.

Equipment wise I am planning on taking pretty much all my gear (bar tripod)

5D (MK1)
1D (MKII)
24-70 2.8L
70-200 2.8LIS
50mm F1.8
Flash & diffuser

So just after advice really on what sort of things work and what don't

What'll work?

Creativity.

What won't?

Trying to follow any kind of formula .

The most important person in this is the designer, she knows what the clothes are supposed to be about, she should have some fixed ideas about what she expects. Presumably she's hired a model(s) that compliment the style. Then you need to work out a location, it'll start to come together. Ask the designer to create a mood board, Pinterest or even tear sheets, this sort of thing is getting ever easier. The mood board will even give you posing and photographic tips if you can read an image.

The only negative for you...

If that location and mood board require decent lighting, you're out of your depth unless you know how to use lights and are prepared to hire them. A 'flashgun and diffuser' are rarely enough for fashion photography.

I'm judging from your flickr stream and my own expectations of what a designer might want, so filter my comments through that lens.

I think you have an awful lot to learn to pull this off. That doesn't mean you can't but be prepared to put the hours in.

Nearly all fashion stuff tends to involve fancy lighting and retouching - even the stuff which doesn't look lit. Your flickr stream suggests that you don't do much of either so you're probably better off putting the flashgun away and keeping everything very natural looking - if that suits the clothes & brand. A reflector may be useful, though.

As Phil said - you're currently out of your depth for anything else.

Research the location. Assuming you've got a great natural light location, make sure you've got some open shade to use case it's not overcast. Other conditions can work really well, especially in fashion, but overcast is most forgiving.

Remember you're photographing the clothes, not creating portraits of the model. Lots of fashion photography crops faces, feet, hands and all.

Have at least one trial run with a stand-in.

If you've no experience of posing someone then a good professional model will make the difference between awful and superb results. Failing that watch lots of 'how to pose' videos.

Head on over to a few agency websites (CLM, Art Partner, MAP, Management+Artists, 2b, Visual Artists are a few) to see what current Fashion photography looks like.

Talk to the designer about themes and concepts on their current collection. Bring in hair/make up as well, maybe a stylist if the designer isn't going to be doing it. Make sure everyone's on the same page. Make a moodboard everyone can refer to for lighting/poses/styling. You can pull from almost any source, could be a still from a film, a piece of music, a painting. Decide whether you'll be shooting in a studio or on location. If on location, do some recce in an area you think would be appropriate.

Cast a model that will suit the concept. What kind of woman/man are you trying to portray? Are they up to the task? Look at their previous work, being good looking doesn't automatically make for a great model. Have a chat with them beforehand to see if they're suited.

Make a call sheet with contact numbers/emails/location details. Also make sure there's food/drink for everyone since a well-fed and watered crew = productive crew. Get someone to help you out with reflector holding.

This might all sound like £££ but these are basic, cheap (even free) things needed for a shoot to function smoothly - go in with a clear idea of what you want and have the organisation in place to achieve that goal.

Last edited:
Well a lot to take on board there.

You're quite right in the assessment that I don't do people pictures much if at all.

I shall probably leave the flash gun out and try to use the available light and source a reflector.

I probably should point out that I am not billing myself as a professional, in fact this will be my first attempt at this sort of thing. (The models, make up etc are all probably far better versed in this sort of thing than I, they're all graduates from Academy Vogue (Amsterdam), and all friends of the designer).

From what little I've been told it'll be in a studio type environment with a white backdrop, I'm having to go on what little information I've been given unfortunately.

I'm not really sure what sort of thing is the desired end goal, so will have a chat about what she's trying to achieve to get a better idea.

From what little I've been told it'll be in a studio type environment with a white backdrop, I'm having to go on what little information I've been given unfortunately.

I'm not really sure what sort of thing is the desired end goal, so will have a chat about what she's trying to achieve to get a better idea.

If they've sourced a studio it should already be equipped with lights, find out where it is and show up early or go for a recce, you'll probably find they're happy to give guidance. But if you search this site for 'white background' you'll find lots of info.

As above the single most important thing you can do is talk to the designer.

I do question why they've asked you though? They either think you're more capable than you are, or they haven't got a clue that photography is a bit more complicated than pressing the button when they pout. :(

I get that I'm not all that good, and in particular have no experience with this sort of thing.

No idea why I was asked to be fair, probably more to do with not having any sort of a budget for anything, seeing as she's only graduated this year.

I'll look into using white backgrounds, I should probably add that post processing will end up being done by someone else who knows Photoshop far better than I do, most pics I take have very little if any post processing applied to it.

Unfortunately a reccy will be off the cards, it's going to be in Amsterdam, I'm in London for the moment which doesn't help matters. I will have an opportunity to chat to the designer over this weekend though, which is a plus.

I get that I'm not all that good, and in particular have no experience with this sort of thing.

No idea why I was asked to be fair, probably more to do with not having any sort of a budget for anything, seeing as she's only graduated this year.

I'll look into using white backgrounds, I should probably add that post processing will end up being done by someone else who knows Photoshop far better than I do, most pics I take have very little if any post processing applied to it.

Unfortunately a reccy will be off the cards, it's going to be in Amsterdam, I'm in London for the moment which doesn't help matters. I will have an opportunity to chat to the designer over this weekend though, which is a plus.
Please don't take the 'not that good' approach, you're just inexperienced at the task requested. No one says you can't knock it out of the park. It's just you're starting from scratch with an unfamiliar subject.

You can at least turn up an hour early, most studios for hire are used to showing people how to use the equipment.

I've only done a couple of 'fashion shoots', like you I was asked by a student who had no budget, unlike you, I was asked because she'd seen something I'd shot and it resonated with what she was looking for.

But the 2nd time it was a studio and 'white background' to get record shots of all the garments. I only agreed to that on the basis I could do some other ideas of my own too. Fortunately the studio was in a fantastic building which gave some other great locations. There's a blog post on my site and a folder on the Facebook page if you want to see samples.

Quick and dirty guide to White BG shots.

You need loads of space between the subject and BG to stop light pollution onto your model, this is not optional or up for debate.

Set the BG lights to provide a white that's just short of being blown out. You can do that before your model arrives on set - whilst they're getting ready.

Once that's all set, place a subject and you only have to alter the settings on the subject light to look good against the BG.

See it's easy ;)

Last edited:
Please don't take the 'not that good' approach, you're just inexperienced at the task requested. No one says you can't knock it out of the park. It's just you're starting from scratch with an unfamiliar subject.

You can at least turn up an hour early, most studios for hire are used to showing people how to use the equipment.

I've only done a couple of 'fashion shoots', like you I was asked by a student who had no budget, unlike you, I was asked because she'd seen something I'd shot and it resonated with what she was looking for.

But the 2nd time it was a studio and 'white background' to get record shots of all the garments. I only agreed to that on the basis I could do some other ideas of my own too. Fortunately the studio was in a fantastic building which gave some other great locations. There's a blog post on my site and a folder on the Facebook page if you want to see samples.

Quick and dirty guide to White BG shots.

You need loads of space between the subject and BG to stop light pollution onto your model, this is not optional or up for debate.

Set the BG lights to provide a white that's just short of being blown out. You can do that before your model arrives on set - whilst they're getting ready.

Once that's all set, place a subject and you only have to alter the settings on the subject light to look good against the BG.

See it's easy ;)

Listen to Phil, he knows...

Check the studio owner will be present and get them to help with the lighting setup.
Take your flashgun so you can use it to trigger the studio lights in slave mode in case none of the triggers they provide work for you.

Just one variation.. it is possible to shoot on a white background with a single light, and in fact quite a common thing to do in fashion. You get shadows, which you may or may not want, and need to pay attention to the angle of the nose so you don't get unwanted shadows on the face.
I've got an example around here somewhere.. (lingerie, so NSFW)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/simoncarterphotography/27545416236/in/dateposted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/simoncarterphotography/23477980192/in/dateposted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/simoncarterphotography/23830350755/in/dateposted-public/

Note that they've all had a fair amount of retouching.

Or it is possible to make a white background go dark grey just by getting the lights away from it.

Back