looks better in windows photo gallery compared to CS3

Edit My Images
Yes
When i look at my NEF files the colours look a lot better in windows photo gallery than they do in CS3 RAW.

The colours look washed out in CS3 and no matter what i do i can never get the colour to look as good as in windows gallery :|

windows
RAW.jpg

CS3
RAW2.jpg

I find this very strange?

If it's anything like Lightroom, the CS3 Raw might strip out any data from the camera regarding picture styling??

I'm betting it's a colour management issue. CS3 is managing the colours in the image based on the working colour space of the image and your monitor's profile. Windows just ignores all that.

In CS3 go to View > Proof > Windows RGB - do they look the same now?

I'm betting it's a colour management issue. CS3 is managing the colours in the image based on the working colour space of the image and your monitor's profile. Windows just ignores all that.

In CS3 go to View > Proof > Windows RGB - do they look the same now?

just tried that and they look even more washed out

Ok, is your display calibrated?

What profile is attached to your monitor in Window Colour Management? Is it the right one?

One other thing - what Working Space are you using for the images when you export them from Camera Raw?

Windows will almost certainly be boosting the saturation and contrast to improve your "viewing experience"

When in doubt, trust adobe :)

Ok, is your display calibrated?

What profile is attached to your monitor in Window Colour Management? Is it the right one?

One other thing - what Working Space are you using for the images when you export them from Camera Raw?

Thanks.

Im using a laptop (not calibrated) and have never had this problem using jpeg's

Im not sure on the last two questions.
How di i get in Window Colour Management

I upload the image then save in cs3

To open Color Management click on start and type Color, it should appear at the top of the program list.

When you open the image in Adobe Camera Raw have a look bottom left, you should see a list of profiles for the working space. They should say something like AdobeRGB, sRGB, ProPhoto. Which one is being used by default?

Ok, I just found a thread where you posted some images and they are using AdobeRGB as the colour space. In Camera Raw make sure you've got sRGB selected as the working space and everything should get better.

thanks for the help

i have looked in the colour management and its sRGB so have changed adobeRGB to sRGB in raw and the image looks exactly the same.

Back