Losing GAS? Happy with your kit?

woof woof

I like a nice Chianti
Name
Alan
Edit My Images
No
I have a Sony A7 and probably too many lenses for it plus I also have MFT kit and again ditto, very probably too much of it. Plus I have too many film era lenses which can be adapted to either camera formats I have. I think I've recently been losing a bit of gear acquisition syndrome or maybe it's not GAS but rather I'm no longer tending to think that I need something when I could very probably get by perfectly well without it or realising that if I got it I would only use it twice a year and therefore shouldn't bother. So, I've been thinking about slimming my kit down. I think I'd like to keep both Sony FF and MFT cameras as MFT still does and offers things that my A7 can't do plus the lenses are teeny tiny and cheap and I'm happy enough using lenses on MFT that I'd almost certainly not be willing to either buy or carry about and use on the Sony but I could still do a lot of slimming down kit wise.

Is anyone else finding themselves losing interest in the kit and/or having stuff that in reality is rarely used?

This "Letter to George" keeps popping into my head. It's about a journey through kit buying and selling kit over a period of years and ending up with just a couple of lenses, in this case 35 and 85mm f1.8's.

I don't think I'm ready to go down to just two lenses yet but it's not impossible as for most of my photographic life I've had either fixed lens cameras or just one lens.

Anyway. I just wondered if anyone else has slimmed their hardware down or maybe even resisted buying too much stuff in the first place?

Yes. Same boat. Canon R kit(4 lens)LUMIX G kit (3 bodies and lens) Olympus kit (2 bodies and lens) Nikon kit (4 bodies and lens) canon ef kit (3 bodies and lens) and multiple random things (LUMIX FZ, Kodak SLR etc, Fuji SLR etc

I could pretty much survive with just my A7C and the 35 f2.8.
Though I do like the 20mm f1.8 as well, but I don't swap and change equipment.

I have the 35mm f2.8 and I use it a lot but it does have limitations as f2.8 sometimes isn't quite enough in very low light and it only has a to be expected close focus ability. The 35mm f1.8 cures both these things but you lose the very compact package which is why I'd probably always want to keep both.

If planning on slimming down the Sony kit I'd have a struggle.

Sony 20mm f1.8, 24mm f2.8, 28mm f2, 35mm f1.8 and f2.8, 55mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8, 28-70mm f3.5-5.6.
Voigtlander 35mm f1.4, 40mm f1.2, 50mm f2.

Well I certainly don't have GAS for additional camera/lens acquisitions any more as I've got most bases covered. Recently I've been thinking that I've got too much kit, certainly more than I can take with me in one bag, with some overlap (mostly primes and a 70-200 for a mixture of landscapes, wildlife and family stuff). Currently considering consolidating some of the kit down into a couple of zooms for general use. Basically I've got more kit than will to carry it around all day!

I'm a Nikon DSLR shooter and considering swapping a lot of my kit in for a Tamron 17-35 and Nikon AF-P 70-300 - it'd certainly be a lot more manageable than the bag full of kit I currently carry.... If I did that I could perhaps make space for a small drone, but that'd be a whole other can of worms to open! :LOL:

Last edited:
My kit is currently one body and two lenses - Nikon Z5, Z14-30 and Z24-200. As I only do landscapes I really can't think of any reason to buy anything else. Sure, the 24-200 isn't as sharp as other similar lenses but it covers a large range and is more than good enough for my needs. It's also a great one lens solution if I want to go really lightweight.

I bought a new tripod and head a while back and I've two bags I'm happy with. I've got all I need. I'd rather spend my money on petrol to get me to Wales. :)

I like having various cameras and lenses, what with variety being the spice of life and that...

:naughty:

Got halfway through your post Toby... ooh, is that a new shiny lens I see..what GAS..

Although I have purchased quite a bit lately I still see myself as fairly minimal with kit......

Quite often I've said I'm happy recently and then bought something else but as of right now ..... :p I don't need anything else and can't see me buying anything...... :ROFLMAO:

Anyway....

A7 since 2015ish
35GM I bought last year - I swap this out with my Voigtlander 40/1.2 depending who I'm with and where to.
Tamron 70-180/2.8 which I bought a month or so ago and is my main kit alongside the 35GM.
24GM - I have just bought a 24GM for night skies so will be selling the 20G soon.
FE85 I only really use for car shows and meets. I thought the 70-180mm might replace this but they are so cheap now I might just keep it.

Lenses, I think I'm pretty much there right now.

Maybe an A7iii at some point is the only thing I half fancy for the better high ISO but the star tracker sort of eliminates that issue anyway.....

I've had a clear out this year of things that were not used much, and plan to repeat that every 6 months or so. I've settled on Canon for events, sports, filming and live streaming, Fuji for studio and landscape, not forgetting the smartphone for general purposes.

Had a clearout over lockdown and got rid of all my Nikon wildlife kit, now have:

2 x Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mk3 bodies.
Olympus 85mm f1.8 prime.
Sigma 56mm f1.4 prime.
Sigma 30mm f1.4 prime.

Most of my time is spent simply with one body and the 56mm f1.4 - I have been released! :LOL:

Bought quite a few manual lenses during lockdown. Some are used infrequently and I have thought about offloading some of them. They are mostly "giveaway" as I can't be bothered to use ebay to sell a lens for just a few squid.

Just offloaded a Hasselblad 503cx complete, 40mm cf fle, pme90 and a D-flash 40.
I have more Hasselblad bits to shift when time permits.

My kit is currently one body and two lenses - Nikon Z5, Z14-30 and Z24-200. As I only do landscapes I really can't think of any reason to buy anything else. Sure, the 24-200 isn't as sharp as other similar lenses but it covers a large range and is more than good enough for my needs. It's also a great one lens solution if I want to go really lightweight.

I bought a new tripod and head a while back and I've two bags I'm happy with. I've got all I need. I'd rather spend my money on petrol to get me to Wales. :)
Factor in a couple of Jerry cans ,to ensure you can get back . Lots of who’s got diesel/ petrol posts up here lately

I'm afraid I don't get the concept of too many lenses.
I have a wide range of lenses for each of my camera types along with loads of legacy lenses that I can adapt, yet I'll still gladly grab new lenses that catch my eye, when he price is right.
New toys like the Laowa 24mm probe lens are interesting but too expensive for me, so they'll probably remain on my wish list for a few decades more.

I just need(want) a Nikon z 40mm f2 and my life(collection) will be complete

maybe then get rid of 24-50 and replace with 24-70f4.

Last edited:
Yes, I bought the glass that I need and some glass that I want (105/1.4). I’ve temporarily stopped chasing lenses, might upgrade the body but that’s about it.

I don't get out much now, but I still dream about sticking a diddy Ricoh in people's faces. Helps me to sleep at night. :p

Last edited:
I'm afraid I don't get the concept of too many lenses.
I have a wide range of lenses for each of my camera types along with loads of legacy lenses that I can adapt, yet I'll still gladly grab new lenses that catch my eye, when he price is right.
New toys like the Laowa 24mm probe lens are interesting but too expensive for me, so they'll probably remain on my wish list for a few decades more.

It's the film era primes that are the biggest problem for me but if I add up the cost of them all I suppose it's just the cost of a couple or three modern lenses so maybe it's not all that bad. If I sold them I'd get something for them but do I need the hassle or the money? That's something I think about and whilst my eyesight is still up to manual focusing I can still enjoy them.

Last edited:
Yes, I bought the glass that I need and some glass that I want (105/1.4). I’ve temporarily stopped chasing lenses, might upgrade the body but that’s about it.

One thing I would buy is a new Panasonic GM5 if they ever make one. Another thing which could tempt me is if Sony built an A7c that addressed my complaints about the current one. Good luck to those who love the camera but in its current form it's not for me.

I don't get out much now, but I still dream about stick a diddy Ricoh in people's faces. Helps me to sleep at night. :p

Not getting out much is something I know about but having a choice of kit to choose from when I do get to go out is another reason to keep the choice and variety.

I have just listed my E-M1 ii in the classifieds, more cameras than I need.

Really happy with my EM1 MkII with 17mm F/1.8; 12-40 F/2.8 and 40-150 F/2.8 + 1.4x teleconverter. Won't be buying anything else digital this year.

I cleared out all but seven of my old film-era lenses (now all I have are primes).

I may add a P&S 35mm film camera to my film camera collection. Not seeing any other changes other than maybe changing out my half plate for 5x7 to get more film choice.

Happy with my setup (Canon full frame)
Only thing I would like is a longer (200mm) macro lens with IS that’s hand holdable
Sigma did make a 180 with IS but it was F2.8 so was way too heavy an F4 or 5.6 would be perfect but nobody makes such a thing at least for EF/RF mount

I my Canon DSLR days I had a Sigma 150mm f2.8 and liked it. As far as I remember that had IS. Too short for you though.

I currently have an X100V and an XPro3 + 18 1.4, 50 2.0, 85 1.8

And honestly, 95% of the time I reach for the X100V. It’s just perfect for me.

I’ve only ever used digital, but perhaps GAS related.. I’ve been thinking about film recently..

I my Canon DSLR days I had a Sigma 150mm f2.8 and liked it. As far as I remember that had IS. Too short for you though.
I do have a Sigma 150 non IS , I’m planning on trying it out in a couple of weeks when the butterflies are out, my main is a 100 IS Canon, just a longer macro would be perfect for skittish insects and I think would have great out of focus background :)

I do have a Sigma 150 non IS , I’m planning on trying it out in a couple of weeks when the butterflies are out, my main is a 100 IS Canon, just a longer macro would be perfect for skittish insects and I think would have great out of focus background :)

Is there an IS version? I thought mine had it.

Is there an IS version? I thought mine had it.
The early version like the one I have was non IS the later ones were IS
I went to the photography show a few years ago to try out the Sigma 180 F2.8 macro it was pretty sharp but was big and heavy unfortunately, I would have struggled with the weight

I currently have an X100V and an XPro3 + 18 1.4, 50 2.0, 85 1.8

And honestly, 95% of the time I reach for the X100V. It’s just perfect for me.

I’ve only ever used digital, but perhaps GAS related.. I’ve been thinking about film recently..

With all respect to film lovers... Honestly I wouldn't bother :D

If we're talking 35mm I think digital beats film for IQ and you're in control of the quality but with film, assuming you don't develop your own, you're getting whatever quality the lab delivers and poor quality coming back was what pushed me to go digital after I'd hung on when others were already going digital. Years later I thought I'd try film again but it didn't last and I haven't bothered since.

Larger than 35mm might be a different story.

Last edited:
Talking of GAS or the UK equivalent called diesel... well that is the problem really now. I can hardly justify going any where at all, and that has a knock off effect. I'm suddenly acquiring more and more bits for studio.

Happy with my setup (Canon full frame)
Only thing I would like is a longer (200mm) macro lens with IS that’s hand holdable
Sigma did make a 180 with IS but it was F2.8 so was way too heavy an F4 or 5.6 would be perfect but nobody makes such a thing at least for EF/RF mount
Thought about the old 200 2.8 L? I’ve got that one and very much like it, mostly used on RF via adapter and it’s totally perfect.

Thought about the old 200 2.8 L? I’ve got that one and very much like it, mostly used on RF via adapter and it’s totally perfect.
I have wondered about that one , thanks I’ll have a look :)

Whereasbouts are you? I'm in the north west, very welcome to try mine to experience. Think it was around 4 or 500 - I'd say one of the best!
Thanks for the generous offer I’m in Wales a bit far away but it has made me think I’ve got the Sigma 150 the old non IS one I will try that out on my R5 and see how I get on :)
I shoot mostly handheld without flash and the Canon 100L is perfect for that but always wanted to see what results a longer focal length gave
I always found the Sigma 150 hard to use handheld unless I raised the ISO but the R5 is fine at higher ISO so I should be able to use it handheld

Talking of GAS or the UK equivalent called diesel... well that is the problem really now. I can hardly justify going any where at all, and that has a knock off effect. I'm suddenly acquiring more and more bits for studio.

We walk a lot but one drawback to that is the car batteries slowly drain so I need to check the night before we need a car just in case it wont start. My MX5 sometimes wont start but my Getz does a bit better, it usually starts but the doors sometimes wont unlock on the blipper and have to be opened with the key. After a few miles the battery charges up just that little bit and the door locks then work on the blipper again.

Last edited:
Technically Gasoline(Gas) is petrol not diesel but yes the price has prevented me visiting a few events I might have shot otherwise.
Sadly getting space for a studio has proved even more expensive!

I don't find that I get full blown GAS anymore, namely longing for a certain lens etc, but there is a genuine need with some of the kit I want to buy. Since switching to mirrorless I have decided I am in no rush to change my current 70-200 lens to a native Z mount, but if I am able to continue shooting weddings then I think the native 24-70f2.8 would be a major upgrade on my old version. The switch has led to me being able to massively reduce the weight of my hiking/holiday kit though with the recent purchase of the Nikon 24-200. It means that my lens weight has reduced from 3.2kg across 3 lenses, to just under 1kg and two lenses.

Always a little bit of shiny stuff interest, but haven’t changed setups now in a couple of years. Finally realised I missed an SLR for that optical ’connection’, finally happy with the 7Dii and the 100-400ii/EF1.4xii combo... I needed to regress, not progress. The iPhone takes care of all the rest, and that’ll be my next ‘lens’ upgrade to an iPhone 14 Pro. Coronavirus lockdowns finally put pay to endless cycles of shopping and looking, and made me spend more time out where I should be, in the wild, a fresh air antidote to work.

Back