Beginner lots of dust inside 70-300mm. ignore / clean / claim warranty ?

Name
Michal
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi
Over a few months of mostly indoor use, the 70-300mm nikkor VR has now dust on the inside of the glass.
Not just a speck. Over 25 larger particles, countless tiny ones and 2 hair like ones.
Most info online states that it should be ignored as it is normal and will not show on photos.
It bothers me nevertheless.
What is best to do?
Attempt to take the lens apart and clean it? Like this guy does:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ua-zSIdYDQ

Anyone has experience with warranty claim? With such amount of dust in short time, I assume that the seal is faulty.
Thank you in advance.

If it is under warranty I wouldn't be trying to take it apart.
Every lens will acquire some dust so that in itself isn't a 'fault', however I would be concerned about seeing small hairs.
How old is the lens? Was it bought new?

I wouldn't be taking a lens apart, you might get rid of the hair's, but you are just as likely to add more dust. Also lenses are precision items (even the cheaper one's).

If it is under warranty I wouldn't be trying to take it apart.
Every lens will acquire some dust so that in itself isn't a 'fault', however I would be concerned about seeing small hairs.
How old is the lens? Was it bought new?
yes, new, was perfectly clean (no dust inside!) when took out of the box, 3 months ago, looks quite genuine, arrived in gold box, was not cheap, LOL not for me!

The commonest way for dust to get inside a zoom lens is by suction when the focal length is changed. Have you been using it in a particularly dusty or dirty environment?

The commonest way for dust to get inside a zoom lens is by suction when the focal length is changed. Have you been using it in a particularly dusty or dirty environment?
mostly in the house - regular dust levels.
took some photos outdoors where pollen and other plant particles are about moving with wind.
is there a way to prevent this dust ingress?
i am quite confident taking the front glass out to clean it but would not want to do it too often.

I wouldn't be taking a lens apart, you might get rid of the hair's, but you are just as likely to add more dust. Also lenses are precision items (even the cheaper one's).
as i mentioned, at least 25 larger particles. i lost count at 100 tiny specks of dust. i doubt that i can introduce more.
looking at the video, it appears that no precision elements are affected. front glass is held by 6 screws. take it out. clean it and clean the internal one as well. put it back. seems easy enough?

There is more than one element in a lens, the dust could be anywhere between any of the elements, even towards the rear one, personally I would try and argue the case with the supplier that the lens should not have so much dust, never mind the hairs. If you play your cards right and be sensible you might get a result as its only 3 month old.

personally I would try and argue the case with the supplier that the lens should not have so much dust, never mind the hairs.
As Paul says.

If the dust wasn't there on receipt it sounds like there's a seal missing. If that's the case then the lens should be repaired or replaced by the supplier. If you take it apart you lose any claim against the supplier so that should only be the very last resort.

This would be a warranty issue for me, or at least I'd try. I had the 70-300vr, zoomed in and out constantly at dusty racetracks, and in the 4 years or so I had it I never noticed any significant debris inside.

I agree send it back under the consumer rights act, not sealed correctly

Send with a letter signed for

It sounds to me like you have a faulty seal - I'd send it back.

I've been using zoom lenses for over forty years and have never had a dust problem that extreme.

Back