Louise @ 75

Would you kindly describe the way you convert to B&W,
there is something I don't understand… :(

Would you kindly describe the way you convert to B&W,
there is something I don't understand… :(

What don't you understand, my usage of BW, or your own usage of BW?

I'm quite lazy, I look through LR Presets, Photoshop Actions and Google Nik Collection - try and find something I like.

This one was a photoshop action that was in a pack of portrait touch up actions.

The comments are interesting. I much prefer the jumper in the mono image because the distracting rumples and creases are much less obvious, but the colour image treats her face much better. I find that with both, the bright lower half of the image draws my eye far more than the darker and rather flat upper half, and it requires a deliberate act of will to look upwards.

That aside, as a portrait the expression is quizzical but not especially satisfying - you have caught emotion but not fully formed, as though it's the next shot that would be more interesting.

For me, the edit is too dark on Louise's face, meaning my eyes are drawn to the ...err.. lighter parts of the photo.

Maybe there's some middle ground ?

For me, the edit is too dark on Louise's face, meaning my eyes are drawn to the ...err.. lighter parts of the photo.

Maybe there's some middle ground ?

First of all I think the original image can have an adverse effect when viewing the new B&W

But also sure maybe, now I can apply a more fundamental approach to the process I can have a play with it - and remain in full control of the output :)

I think the second B&W edit looks much better. Nice shots :)

Nothing wrong with presets as a starting point, but they need to be that since every image is different. However for something like lightroom it's often easier just to work from scratch to get the look you need.

You have portrayed subtle nuances within the composition, aesthetics being warm and tonally pleasant. Focal length is fine, imho, rendering the lady's eyes prominent, her expression is profusely beguiling. We all possibly view things to one's own perception of perfection. I indeed like the colour picture.

Back