Critique Louise - critique welcome

Yes, the first is nice indeed but
the second is wayyyyyyy more
playful. Brilliant! (y)

Very cool! Really like how you use light in both.

Agree with the above comments. No1 is brill.

Thanks guys I have another shoot with a heavy tattooed model in a few weeks I'm looking forward to seeing how that turns out

I don't shoot people, its not my thing so very rarely venture in here but the first is stunning (y)

I also like the 3rd, clever stuff, done with led/neon light wire??

she said it looks like an album cover

Yes, something from the 80's synthesizer era maybe (y)

Fab shots Chris. Love the lighting in the first 2 great job on that. Just curious, any particular reason for monochrome? #3 is great fun and why not try these things, if we don't we never grow. :)

#1 for me is top notch, wouldn't change anything there (maybe in colour though;))
#2 Really like this just wonder if a different pattern of light/shadow may have more impact. (I'm planning something similar that is why I'm pondering :))
#3 = fun :)

Yay! Keep doing the 'something different'! You'll get more failures along the way but also more stunners along the lines of number 2 - which is properly spectacular.

Small stuff - I think you could take some off the top of #2 and tone down the logo in the others.

I love them both! I don't photograph people so I can't really critique it but they're both amazing. Was the background to the first smoke with a burst of flash behind?

The second is wonderful.
If I were being a tiny bit picky I wonder if it would have been better or worse if she'd worn a solid colour

I agree w/ Hugh, IMO, the pattern in the shirt is somewhat distracting in both images. And the fit/lay of the shirt in the first image probably should have been addressed.

Aesthetically, the first image seems to be something of a technical exercise to me. The smoke and backlighting don't really seem to fit the mood/pose/processing. I think darker processing would probably help.

I think the second image is more successful as a complete/unified image. I find the pattern w/in the gobo showing in the shadows on her face/arm somewhat problematic as it doesn't show elsewhere, I would probably fix that in post if it couldn't have been addressed at the time.
It is the ability to see/address these little things while shooting that makes the professionals better than the rest of us.

They are both very well done overall, you should be happy.

No1 is great use of light.
No2 is fabulous control of shadow.
Both are beautifully handled.

Great shots, the second should be hanging on a wall, brilliant image.

Back