Lovely new neighbours

Had a knock on the door and some guy asked me to move my car "as he couldn't get out". Funny that, I couldn't get to my garage either.... I told him he's have to wait, to which he responded "But I'm going back to London this evening". I told him to get a cab.
Why????

Why would anybody do that? Were you actually looking for a fight?

No thanks. It's on topic, I'll keep it here.

Purely a civil matter.

The point being why would anyone instantly start parking wars with a new or existing neighbour.
What's allowed doesn't always mean it's best.

You parking across someone's drive is nothing like parking where you want on a public road. If I had a drive and someone did that to me, then they probably wouldn't do it twice. Knowing what the law is and going out of your way to p**s people off are two entirely different things.

You parking across someone's drive is nothing like parking where you want on a public road. If I had a drive and someone did that to me, then they probably wouldn't do it twice. Knowing what the law is and going out of your way to p**s people off are two entirely different things.
Did you really just contradict yourself.
parking across someone's drive is nothing like parking where you want on a public road
So parking on a public road is nothing like parking on a public road! (the road with a dropped kerb is still public road)

Anyway I'm sure i wouldn't do it twice, you're a big man after all. If you had read my previous replies in here its extremely obvious i was trying to make a point that you agree with. Ie what the law says and not trying to p*** your neighbours off are indeed two different things. So i don't know who your trying to argue with me.

Like i said im glad i live on a street where everyone is nice to each other someone parks blocking you in you go speak to them and they move to let you out, you dont start a war over it.

Did you really just contradict yourself.

So parking on a public road is nothing like parking on a public road! (the road with a dropped kerb is still public road)

Anyway I'm sure i wouldn't do it twice, you're a big man after all. If you had read my previous replies in here its extremely obvious i was trying to make a point that you agree with. Ie what the law says and not trying to p*** your neighbours off are indeed two different things. So i don't know who your trying to argue with me.

Like i said im glad i live on a street where everyone is nice to each other someone parks blocking you in you go speak to them and they move to let you out, you dont start a war over it.

So, someone pays for a dropped kerb or already has one in place, so that they can park on their drive (which is not a public road). I would never in a million years park, blocking someone's drive. If however you think it is OK to do that, then I assume that you are a total **** of the highest magnitude.
Please do not deliberately P**s people off.
It is a really simple concept, which the majority of us understand.

Thankfully, no parking problems here, we're in a cul de sac, at the end and we only get the odd vehicle turning. Neighbours opposite don't have a car but they have carers that visit 4 times a day but they always park respectively. Everybody here makes use of their driveways, every house, including ours has monoblocked ones.

Never had a dispute with a neighbour (we get on with everybody) until recently. New owners moved into a bungalow that is in the next street but we share a fence with them. They are not very nice people, to say the least. Without going into details, it's not a parking dispute but we've had words in the past. I don't like airing my washing in public but I will stand up for my family and myself and I have done. Safe to say, they've left us alone since.

We're lucky though, I can see and understand how street parking might be confrontational but my take is, if your car is taxed, MOTed and insured, and there are no parking restrictions, you can more or less park where you like, respectively and if there's a space. It might not be nice not to be able to park outside your own home but this day and age, there's enough bad feeling in the world, it's not worth a fight.

Rise above it, be the better person and move on with life.

So, someone pays for a dropped kerb or already has one in place, so that they can park on their drive (which is not a public road). I would never in a million years park, blocking someone's drive. If however you think it is OK to do that, then I assume that you are a total **** of the highest magnitude.
Please do not deliberately P**s people off.
It is a really simple concept, which the majority of us understand.
Again you have completely not bothered reading my posts. Your arguing a point I agree with!

Why????

Why would anybody do that? Were you actually looking for a fight?
No, I was pi55ed off as that particular house often parked on my drive. Why should I move for his convenience when he had no consideration of mine?

No, I was pi55ed off as that particular house often parked on my drive. Why should I move for his convenience when he had no consideration of mine?
Dunno, because you're a better person than he is?

No, wait.....

I am on the verge of retirement so my car barely goes out of the garage much at the moment.
but in the two years preceding have spent a lot of time down south in and around London and am
always flabbergasted at just how people live and how much car parking rules peoples lives
as people have said some one house families can have 4x cars with only kerbage outside for 2x at best so fight
and scrap for every foot its insane.

I guess that we are lucky in that we can get 4 cars on our drive. Mine the wife's & both of my sons. Not a big house, a corner plot with a large front drive area. But what bothers me is the cars parked in our street in such a way an emergency vehicle would have great difficulty get down the road.

Dunno, because you're a better person than he is?

No, wait.....
But if you "give in"to these people they will never learn.

As I mentioned, it wasn't the first time I had problems with people visiting that particular house and parking on my drive. We had planned to go out in the Midget as it was a nice afternoon/evening but as I couldn't get to it we decided to stay in. We came home in the Midget a few weeks before to find 3 bikes on the drive, so I couldn't get it in the garage. I wanted to put all 3 of them in the garage for the night but the Mrs wouldn't let me.... My drive, my mortgage. It even had a no parking sign on the garage door too. What else do you want me to do, offer them money not to park on my drive, in front of my garage?

A few houses away from me the house was empty; still owned by the previous occupant who now lived in the USA. He initially leased the house through a local estate agent but found it to be more hassle than it was worth. He still remained a member of our local resident association and explained he wanted to keep the house for his daughter who had just left university. However, his daughter did not want it, as she had befriended a rich businessman who she later married. During this period we were concerned that the empty property might attract squatters so he put the word out locally that we were free to park on his drive anytime. This proved to be useful and at least gave the impression the house was occupied. After several years, he has now relented and sold the house and thanked us all for our support and patience. A nice couple have moved in with 2 children and the father volunteered to join the residents association committee.

Dave

So how do all the private car park enforcers work then?

On private land they can only send what is a speculative invoice and hope you agree to pay it or ultimately attempt to pursue it in civil court.

Private use of clamps has been outlawed,

Seems I'm very lucky with our neighbours, I don't drive so obviously don't have a car, but I do have a driveway. None of the neighbours, nor their visitors have ever parked outside our house, let alone across the driveway [I do cycle so could be annoying if they did] But they are the kind of neighbours who send in a card and box of chocs or biccies every Christmas, that's either side of us, and we do the same in return. Other that I barely ever see them, they are older couples who's kids have long moved on, but both sides do have cars and do get regular family visits.

A neighbour in my old house, when I was married so over 10 years ago, had a family member who used to stay from time to time. They used to partly block the driveway but I never used to go out and cause aggro if I spotted them parked there.

I used to knock on the door and wake them up at 5:30 in the morning instead :)

We live in a small, narrow cul-de-sac where (nearly) all the residents are 50+ with either physical or mental issues (or both) - it is classed as a supported living area. We each have drives and garages but several of the residents don't have cars. There is a footpath that runs behind our houses to the car park for the local railway station and shopping centre. The road that the cul-de-sac feeds into is also a much larger cul-de-sac where the local council have painted single yellow lines and posted signs giving parking for up to 2 hours with no return for 4 hours. There are no yellow lines in our little cul-de-sac.

Every day the whole area is full of cars whose drivers have parked here and walked to the station rather than drive another 400m to go into the station car park, which is free 24hrs a day. The council traffic warden has a field day whenever he gets lost and finds himself in our road. The same car parks opposite my drive almost every day and I have spoken to the woman driver on several occasions and found her to be charming and polite. It has never occurred to me to ask her (or anyone else) not to park there as she isn't doing anything wrong and, with a bit of care, I can get my car into and out of the drive without any real problem. I really don't understand why so many people have a default setting of confrontation :argue: rather than just trying to get along. Says the man that spent 29 years in the military o_O

'Tis the season of good will towards all men (and women) after all. Merry Christmas :wave:

My next door neighbour is a gorgeous blonde. She can do no wrong! (..... and she parks on her own driveway)!

So how do all the private car park enforcers work then?

It was made illegal in the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012.

Offence of immobilising etc. vehicles​

54Offence of immobilising etc. vehicles​

(1)A person commits an offence who, without lawful authority—

(a)immobilises a motor vehicle by the attachment to the vehicle, or a part of it, of an immobilising device, or

(b)moves, or restricts the movement of, such a vehicle by any means,

intending to prevent or inhibit the removal of the vehicle by a person otherwise entitled to remove it.

(2)The express or implied consent (whether or not legally binding) of a person otherwise entitled to remove the vehicle to the immobilisation, movement or restriction concerned is not lawful authority for the purposes of subsection (1).

(3)But, where the restriction of the movement of the vehicle is by means of a fixed barrier and the barrier was present (whether or not lowered into place or otherwise restricting movement) when the vehicle was parked, any express or implied consent (whether or not legally binding) of the driver of the vehicle to the restriction is, for the purposes of subsection (1), lawful authority for the restriction.

(4)A person who is entitled to remove a vehicle cannot commit an offence under this section in relation to that vehicle.

(5)A person guilty of an offence under this section is liable—

(a)on conviction on indictment, to a fine,

(b)on summary conviction, to a fine not exceeding the statutory maximum.

(6)In this section “motor vehicle” means a mechanically propelled vehicle or a vehicle designed or adapted for towing by a mechanically propelled vehicle.

Explanatory note of lawful authority
The offence does not apply where a person is acting with lawful authority when immobilising, moving or restricting the movement of a vehicle. There are a number of bodies with statutory powers to immobilise or remove vehicles in specified circumstances, including: local authorities when enforcing road traffic contraventions on the public highway or local authority managed car parks; the police when enforcing road traffic contraventions or otherwise removing vehicles that are illegally, obstructively or dangerously parked; the police and local authorities when exercising their powers to remove abandoned vehicles from public and private land; the Department for Transport’s Driver and Vehicle Licensing Authority (“DVLA”) in respect of vehicles that have no road tax; the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency in respect of vehicles that are not roadworthy; and the police and local authorities when exercising their powers to remove vehicles forming part of an unauthorised traveller encampment. In addition, bailiffs have a mix of statutory and common law powers to immobilise and tow away vehicles for the purposes of enforcing debts (including those arising out of unpaid taxes and court fines).

Parking issues are often the cause of neighbour disputes.

When we moved into our house about 16 years ago we didn't get of to the best of starts.

On the day we moved in I had rented a van to collect some furniture and on arriving back at the house there was 2 cars parked in our driveway that I didn't recognise. Couldn't off load the furniture as couldn't get passed the cars to get it into the house. Eventually the next door neighbour came out and asked if we wanted him to move his cars.

I explained that we had just moved in and he said he knew as had seen us and then explained that he uses our driveway having agreed this with the person who lived in the house before us. I was a bit taken a back by that as he seemed insistent that he would continue to use our driveway. Tried to be nice and explained that he wouldn't be able to use the driveway as we had 3 cars of our own and he became very abusive but moved the cars eventually. From then on it was just one battle after another with parking issues. There are nurses that visit the house regularly plus his family, his driveway can only accommodate 2 cars but there is often 5/6 cars parked around the house. They often park across our driveway blocking us in and generally try to be purposely difficult.

We have an 8ft tall fence in our back garden, the neighbours put up a 10 ft fence. I had asked a mate of mine to trim back some hedges and trees in our garden and while he was doing the work the neighbour came out and complained about the noise, then came out again and complained that some of the debris might fall into his garden. My mate told him that if anything fell over he would come round there back and sweep anything up but the argument escalated and the neighbour started throwing stuff at my mate. My mate lost his head turned into a full blown argument and my mate took his chainsaw and run it right across the neighbours fence dropping it level with ours. Obviously it escalated again and all sorts of mad stuff happened.

Back