Low Carb High Fat

You're over the worst of it! I'd highly recommend trying bulletproof coffee in the mornings. I went the whole hog and added butter as well as coconut oil this morning and it was lovely. That was 7am and I'm still not hungry!

In place of milk I presume? I might try that tomorrow as its my day off. I'm missing my tea with milk, can't get used to drinking it black. I think too much milk knocked me out of ketosis last time.

In place of milk I presume? I might try that tomorrow as its my day off. I'm missing my tea with milk, can't get used to drinking it black. I think too much milk knocked me out of ketosis last time.

Yup. Just black coffee, a couple of spoonfuls of coconut oil and some butter ( although it tastes the same without the butter) then just mix it in a blender. You'll be surprised how nice it is!

Wow really interesting listening on my laptop. I am going to give it a go, and if I stick at it hopefully in the not to distant future I'll be able to see what he looks as well as hearing him.

You're over the worst of it! I'd highly recommend trying bulletproof coffee in the mornings. I went the whole hog and added butter as well as coconut oil this morning and it was lovely. That was 7am and I'm still not hungry!

thats cause fat is absorbed slower than carbs

Well an update from me. Since @EspressoJunkie peaked my interest with this thread i've done a lot of reading (Kindle Unlimited is a godsend) and started a LCHF on Monday :). I wasn't a big lover of processed foods in the main but the odd pizza here and there plus copious amounts of bread related products meant i was eating a mountain of carbs. So going to give this a shot and see how i get on.

Early days so I'll report back how i progress and thanks for starting the thread, kick up the arse i needed :)

So almost a week into things and so far lost (drum roll)... 9lbs :)

Shed loads of bacon, cheese, sausages, mince (homemade burgers), some fish, double cream in coffee instead of milk / sugar. Not cheated so far, managed to get through 3/4 of a litre of vodka + diet lemonade and some frozen raspberries over the course of a couple of nights this weekend, ketosis / fat burn unchanged :). Did huge steaks on Friday night as well with my lush peppercorn sauce and roasted veg, yummy :)

Only thing i'm struggling with really is breakfast as i'm not a fan of eggs and there is only so much bacon i can eat in one day! Also have heartburn which i've never had in my life so need to see if i can changed things around to reduce that.

Happy and will continue on with things but once i've lost some more will have the odd cheat meal dominos pizza probably and the odd curry. Just keep an eye on my ketone's using my ketosis strips to see if i stall.

Last edited:
Bloody hell 9lbs in a week, nice one. Might just have to give it a go!

Here's a recipe for 'cheeseburger pie' I've made loads of times when low carbing:
http://www.food.com/recipe/low-carb-cheeseburger-quiche-83185
(Note half and half cream is single cream in the UK)
It smells delicious when cooking. I use foil to line the dish it as its easier to remove when cooked (grease the foil with oil spray or butter as it sticks).
It can be cut into slices and frozen for later use. Great with side salad or roast veggies and very filling.

So almost a week into things and so far lost (drum roll)... 9lbs :)

Shed loads of bacon, cheese, sausages, mince (homemade burgers), some fish, double cream in coffee instead of milk / sugar. Not cheated so far, managed to get through 3/4 of a litre of vodka + diet lemonade and some frozen raspberries over the course of a couple of nights this weekend, ketosis / fat burn unchanged :). Did huge steaks on Friday night as well with my lush peppercorn sauce and roasted veg, yummy :)

Only thing i'm struggling with really is breakfast as i'm not a fan of eggs and there is only so much bacon i can eat in one day! Also have heartburn which i've never had in my life so need to see if i can changed things around to reduce that.

Happy and will continue on with things but once i've lost some more will have the odd cheat meal dominos pizza probably and the odd curry. Just keep an eye on my ketone's using my ketosis strips to see if i stall.

Awesome to hear this!

Cheat meals are fine but you need to make sure its just the one meal. I have the odd cheat ( pizza or ice cream usually) and I find that the next day the carb cravings can get pretty intense (like right now actually because i had pizza last night ) but it settles down in a couple of days though.

With regard to breakfast, I would highly recommend "bulletproof coffee" which is coffee, coconut oil, and butter ( optional) blended up together in a blender. Its sounds disgusting but it actually tastes amazing and I find that one cup in the morning keeps me going until the evening. I still eat eggs but usually have them as part of my evening meal because I find the coffee thing is ideal on the mornings.

Really glad to hear you're getting on so well :)

Here's a recipe for 'cheeseburger pie' I've made loads of times when low carbing:
It smells delicious when cooking. I use foil to line the dish it as its easier to remove when cooked (grease the foil with oil spray or butter as it sticks).
It can be cut into slices and frozen for later use. Great with side salad or roast veggies and very filling.

That one looks superb. Got it bookmarked (y)

I stopped drinking milk a couple of years ago, now its soya or almond drink for me. It takes a bit of getting used too but now I prefer it. Works well in tea, but curdles in instant coffee, not sure why but works fine when making a latte with my Nespresso.

I made chilli con carne today, no kidney beans. Served it on a bed of roast veggies instead of rice, grated cheese and sour cream on top.
It was delicious. Low carb doesn't have to be boring :)

I'm on maintenance now so allow myself beans in chilli and my pork, chorizo and bean casserole. Although I tend to use cannellini beans. morrisons tinned are only 9g of carb per 100g and I'll probe only have around 50g. Cauli rice is good with Chilli too (y)

Last edited:
Add a large tablespoon of Flaxseed to your morning breakfast cereal. Packed full of beneficial fats. Good for hair, skin, nails, brain performance and helps your body to better regulate its own metabolism.

I've only just seen this thread so am reading up with interest but have a question about flaxseed - does it have any sort of laxative effect ?
Things like wheat germ, fish oil etc are just not something I dare eat, so is flaxseed the same ?
As I get older, and having spent many years baking in the sun I could do with something that stopped my skin being so dry, my nails so fragile and as for my brain......

No laxative effect as far as I'm aware Steve, at least not in small amounts.
Can possibly aggravate acid reflux, but you can minimise this risk by drinking a large glass of water immediately after eating it I believe.

I stopped drinking milk a couple of years ago, now its soya or almond drink for me. It takes a bit of getting used too but now I prefer it. Works well in tea, but curdles in instant coffee, not sure why but works fine when making a latte with my Nespresso.

I'm on maintenance now so allow myself beans in chilli and my pork, chorizo and bean casserole. Although I tend to use cannellini beans. morrisons tinned are only 9g of carb per 100g and I'll probe only have around 50g. Cauli rice is good with Chilli too (y)

+1 for cauli rice :)

Give it another couple of weeks and then make your own Granola and either eat with yoghurt, or cream or my personal choice Almond milk. There are loads of low carb recipes on the web, remember no grains but lots of nuts and seeds. Depending on which recipe you use a 30g bowl comes in at around 10g of carbs

Curry is fine its the rice thats the problem as for Dominos or any pizza for that matter :eek: Seriously, I miss my pizza but I am very carb intolerant, it doesn't take much to spike my blood sugars

Last edited:

I'm making this for dinner, its in the oven now.
Also going to make almond flour pancakes later and freeze some of them.
4.5lbs lost so far :)

I'm making this for dinner, its in the oven now.
Also going to make almond flour pancakes later and freeze some of them.
4.5lbs lost so far :)
Well done! I've only lost a 1lb since my last post but did cheat a little with being off with the kids the past few days (easy done). Trying to kick start things again because my water intake plummeted while being off. Normally i have a 1l water bottle in the office which i drink a few of during the day but with being off couldn't really replicate.

Back at it tonight though with olive oil / pepper soaked pork chops, salad and lashing of cheese, yum :). I tried this over the weekend and while a lot of work was very pleased with the results, even if it did take an age to wring the water out of the cauliflower:

http://www.thelondoner.me/2013/09/carb-free-pizza.html

It's not carb free due to the tomato sauce base but you just have to be careful with it, tasted lush with chillies, bacon and pepperoni on top and lots of chilli oil.

With regard to breakfast, I would highly recommend "bulletproof coffee" which is coffee, coconut oil, and butter ( optional) blended up together in a blender.
Finally remembered to pick up some coconut oil tonight £6 for a jar, i assume it is diamond encrusted inside... Anyway what amounts of oil / butter do you recommend for a 'regular' sized cup of coffee (instant)?

Finally remembered to pick up some coconut oil tonight £6 for a jar, i assume it is diamond encrusted inside... Anyway what amounts of oil / butter do you recommend for a 'regular' sized cup of coffee (instant)?

Wow. The stuff i get is £2.25 a jar (in tescos). I usually put a desert spoon full and about 10g of butter into a cup. Don't forget to blend it!

Wow. The stuff i get is £2.25 a jar (in tescos). I usually put a desert spoon full and about 10g of butter into a cup. Don't forget to blend it!

Have I missed something here. Why would you put cocnut oil and butter in coffee.

What is wrong with cream. That has zero carbs.
BTW, I use decaff because caffeine can trigger an insulin release causing fat storage.

Have I missed something here. Why would you put cocnut oil and butter in coffee.

What is wrong with cream. That has zero carbs.
BTW, I use decaff because caffeine can trigger an insulin release causing fat storage.

I find it a great way to up my fat intake, and it tastes awesome, plus coconut oil is really good for you.

Last edited:
Thanks, i didn't see the own brand stuff so got the Groovy Food organic stuff. I'll give it a shot in the morning :)

I find it a great way to up my fat intake, and it tastes awesome, plus coconut oil is really good for you.

That always rings alarm bells. How often has that been said and a few years later we are being told the opposite.

Celeriac chips anyone?
I'm going to make these tonight I think to accompany my fillet steak with peppercorn sauce.
Love Celeriac chips, and celeriac roasts, never touch the potato anymore these taste much better.

Cauli mash I've made before, as you say well drained. I've used it on shepherds pie in place of potato too.
Cauli rice with curry is also a good substitute.

Back