Low / zero alcohol beers & lager

My first try of Beck's Blue made me put it in the urine group.

Don't take the p*** out of Beck's Blue - it's what gives it its distinctive taste! :p

I've never seen the point in them.
I'd stick with water or coffee.

Don't take the p*** out of Beck's Blue - it's what gives it its distinctive taste! :p

Yes, but there is "pee" and there is "pee" . Some pee is just beyond the pale :D

I tried Eisberg Sauvignon Blanc recently. Tasted like water that had been infused with grape to be honest. I hope all wine doesnt taste like this, otherwise I have no idea what the fuss has been about!

I've got a can of the non alco "innis and gunn' stuff... they've called it innis and none'. I'll update later on whether it tastes like wee.

Obviously personal taste is the biggest factor. However, so far I have found that San Miguel is the best of the bunch. There is a slightly sour aftertaste (possibly malt based), but it is nothing like as bad as the others I have tried.
I tasted Cobra recently and that is another one I have awarded "never again" status.

I hope he washed it first!!! :p

I tried that a couple of weeks ago. I would happily drink it in place of regular beer - unlike the stuff I remember from the 90s like Kaliber.

It is 0.5% though, so not fully alcohol free.

Steve.

Kaliber, used to smell like stewed cabbage, Tried some becks blue and while not as bad it still had a whiff of cabbage

OK, whoooooo suggested the Brewdog Nanny State saying it was nice. Sweet Jesus on a bike, it's effin foul. They've tried too hard to make it "their own" and "craft ale". Its got an aftertaste like a cross between dog p*** and domestos!

Back to the Beck's blue.

Can anyone recommend some low/zero alc. beers with a flavour that comes close to the real McCoy.

I have to ask why. If you're going to drink beer then drink beer with alcohol. if you're not looking to drink alcohol then there's many alcohol free drinks available that are intended to taste nice from the get go. Looking for a non alcoholic beer that tastes the same as your favourite beer or even a reasonable tasting beer is always going to leave you disappointed- it's only the relative degree of disappointment from one to another that's in doubt.

I have to ask why. If you're going to drink beer then drink beer with alcohol. if you're not looking to drink alcohol then there's many alcohol free drinks available that are intended to taste nice from the get go. Looking for a non alcoholic beer that tastes the same as your favourite beer or even a reasonable tasting beer is always going to leave you disappointed- it's only the relative degree of disappointment from one to another that's in doubt.
Whilst I totally agree with the 2nd point about disappointment, the 1st is another issue, I don't like to drink 'pop', I do like beer, sometimes I don't want alcohol.

It's rare, but sometimes alcohol free beer is the best option.

Even when it tastes like p***?

They dont all taste like p***, Becks Blue is the best ive found and ill happily drink it when out on the scooter or car, also, love to have a couple when I get home from a 12.5 hour shift before getting less than 6 hours sleep before my next one.

They dont all taste like p***, Becks Blue is the best ive found and ill happily drink it when out on the scooter or car, also, love to have a couple when I get home from a 12.5 hour shift before getting less than 6 hours sleep before my next one.

Is it a drink you would happily have if you were out to play with no work/ driving issues as a follow on compared to your favourite beer or is it a reasonable alternative to water/ cola, etc?

Seriously, reading back over the thread, I don't get the impression that a single person has been satisfied with an alcohol free alternative.

That's cause alcohol is part of the taste.

Personally I don't see the point of drinking non alcoholic lager/beer. I wouldn't drink it if it didn't get me drunk.

I'd happily drink zero alcohol cider, wine etc. IF it tasted the same but as you say, alcohol is a major part of the taste. I actually don't enjoy being drunk these days and sure as eggs is eggs don't enjoy the morning after!

Seriously, reading back over the thread, I don't get the impression that a single person has been satisfied with an alcohol free alternative.

I have just about exhausted tasting all that I can find. All pretty bloody awful in my opinion.
Beck's Blue lemon almost has the foul aftertaste killed by overpowering it with lemon. I has a slight lager flavour to start with then the lemon kicks in just in time to stop the usual sour flavour taking over.

I give up. Not buying any more.

I dont get the sour aftertaste with becks blue at all I have to say and genuinely feel its so close to normal becks as to satisfy me. To answer an earlier question,
Is it a drink you would happily have if you were out to play with no work/ driving issues as a follow on compared to your favourite beer or is it a reasonable alternative to water/ cola, etc?

It's a good alternative to water or coke, im not sure what you mean about the follow on?

It's a good alternative to water or coke, im not sure what you mean about the follow on?

I mean dont have to follow on from having a drink with going to work or driving

If in a bar and not wanting alcohol I go for tomato juice and a good dollop of Worcester Sauce. Tastes good and has a bit of a kick. Sadly some pubs don't keep the sauce. And on a similar note, Big Tom must be one of the yummiest soft drinks ever.

If in a bar and not wanting alcohol I go for tomato juice and a good dollop of Worcester Sauce. Tastes good and has a bit of a kick. Sadly some pubs don't keep the sauce. And on a similar note, Big Tom must be one of the yummiest soft drinks ever.

So, basically, Passata and Worcester sauce.
The poor man's cold veggie bolognese. :)

Yes, right up there besides metal polish :D

Back