Name
Julian Elliott
Edit My Images
No
Morning all

Surprised to see no threads on this year's competition. Keeping an eye on all things social media it seems to have created the usual angst etc.

I was lucky enough to get this in as a commended entry in the Urban View section. It'll be at the exhibition from November 20th 2017.

DMPhjyZX4AEi-o_.jpg:large

I really like that , what a wonderful comparison of old and new . I think there's some wonderful photos in this years selection , can't wait to see this years book.

Congrats. Lovely image.

Not lucky at all!

A lovely viewpoint.

I really like that , what a wonderful comparison of old and new . I think there's some wonderful photos in this years selection , can't wait to see this years book.

Stunning image!

I agree with 'my learned colleagues' especially the PoV, looks like a privileged view or can anyone get access to that vantage point?

Apart from LPOTY I can see it having commercial potential :)

Well done @Julian Elliott - the photo you have got in and your work is a credit to you.

I quite like this years winner, it's got a lovely soft and gentle mood and is very restful. Of all the winners Andy Farrars Bats head remains my favourite.

Big congrats to @Neil Burnell @JakeT1992 @Steelo and various others.

The view private and not available to the public. One of the main reasons I put it in as I knew that if it got anywhere it would cause discussion. It also meant that it then couldn't be copied verbatim as so often happens.

Commercial potential. It resides with Getty Images right now. I don't "think" it has sold yet. I always did think though it was good book cover material. Was hoping it would have been part of the publicity but I am suspecting it hasn't been featured anywhere as it's portrait and all other commended entries that have been in the papers have tended to be landscape.

@SFTPhotography Thank you! I work very hard to get what I do. If I can, there will be another amazing view headed to the comp next year. An unknown view as I have to keep people guessing ;)

I have now opened a tab with the LPOTY website, much to look at and enjoy with much of it inspiring :)

The only thing that concerns me a little this year is the amount of drone shots going in. I don't have a problem per se of that type of shot but I am wondering if they were taken with full CAA permission. I know one person is definitely accredited but not sure about some of the others.

Good point..................you would have thought that the organisers would have such proper terms in their T&C's

First off, well done on your commended image Julian.

The only thing that concerns me a little this year is the amount of drone shots going in. I don't have a problem per se of that type of shot but I am wondering if they were taken with full CAA permission. I know one person is definitely accredited but not sure about some of the others.

I'm sure in time if they don't accreditation then they will caught at some stage.
I wonder if the TAV organisers ask for the necessary paperwork when they are shortlisted alongside their RAW files, just a question? That said I think there have been some great drone images and a totally different perspective at times. As for the LPOTY, I think there are some super images in there and as usual must be a tough job to judge.

You are not allowed to make any commercial gain.

The curious thing would be whether a drone shot ended up winning the comp. Would it be counted as commercial gain?

I did also see some images from the comp that look like they are on a main flight path. I know as I've been on that path a number of times.

As I said, I don't have an issue with drone shots but it's the circumstances under which they were taken that might be a fly in the ointment at some point.

You are not allowed to make any commercial gain.

The curious thing would be whether a drone shot ended up winning the comp. Would it be counted as commercial gain?

I did also see some images from the comp that look like they are on a main flight path. I know as I've been on that path a number of times.

As I said, I don't have an issue with drone shots but it's the circumstances under which they were taken that might be a fly in the ointment at some point.
Is was thinking the same thing myself regrading the competition entries. Could be a can of worms in the future as i can only see more drone entries in the competition in the forthcoming years.

Exactly @yamahatdm900! There are two shots that caught my eye. Both would wind you up in the deep end if they are unauthorized.
I wouldnt have a clue about dronres and flight paths but if that is the case you can only think it will only be a matter of time till its in the t&c. Personally think it would be shame if that happens.

I wouldnt have a clue about dronres and flight paths but if that is the case you can only think it will only be a matter of time till its in the t&c. Personally think it would be shame if that happens.

You can stick a drone up but once it starts getting above people/ buildings/ into main flights paths then you need various permissions.

I don't know all the rules but there are some basic ones.

CAA are the issuing authority. You do your course and if you pass you can register with the CAA as a commercial pilot of a drone.

There maybe be other fees associated with getting permissions though but as I'm not a drone flyer I don't know if there is.

Here's some basic rules. You'll see they are pretty much common sense: https://www.airmap.com/rules-to-fly-recreational-drones/

I'm sure all us photographers have at least put one foot where perhaps it shouldn't be before so im not fussed about drone checks (safety aside).

I do however feel drone photography shouldn't be permitted but only because I'm a Luddite and haven't got one yet...

When I do. It's fine :D

I don't know all the rules but there are some basic ones.

CAA are the issuing authority. You do your course and if you pass you can register with the CAA as a commercial pilot of a drone.

There maybe be other fees associated with getting permissions though but as I'm not a drone flyer I don't know if there is.

Here's some basic rules. You'll see they are pretty much common sense: https://www.airmap.com/rules-to-fly-recreational-drones/

I haven't seen all of the drone shots that you speak of but remember you don't always need to be registered with the CAA. If you do it commercially then you would, and winning cash from a competition such as this may be classed as commercial.

You can stick a drone up but once it starts getting above people/ buildings/ into main flights paths then you need various permissions.
Depending how you interpret the CAA rules, you can fly over some people and buildings without permission. There are many people that just are quite ignorant of the rules in general and just fly anyway.

I haven't seen all of the drone shots that you speak of but remember you don't always need to be registered with the CAA. If you do it commercially then you would, and winning cash from a competition such as this may be classed as commercial.

One of the ones I have seen looks a definite no no as it is on a main flight path. I know that some places are fine but this looks to be one that isn't. I don't want to point out the image itself as that would be unfair but if you saw it and know the area then you would see why it looks to be of concern.

Well done @Julian Elliott - the photo you have got in and your work is a credit to you.

I quite like this years winner, it's got a lovely soft and gentle mood and is very restful. Of all the winners Andy Farrars Bats head remains my favourite.

Big congrats to @Neil Burnell @JakeT1992 @Steelo and various others.

Thanks Steven, over the moon to have won the Your View section with Stilts (my personal fav image) and getting a local shot in (Destruction) was an added bonus!

Thanks Steven, over the moon to have won the Your View section with Stilts (my personal fav image) and getting a local shot in (Destruction) was an added bonus!

Yours is one those images where a big stopper actually enhances the image. I'd be very pleased to have taken that! I had one shortlisted for Your View but it was utter rubbish and I have no idea how it got so far!

Ah, but after the tour. Surely they just get binned somewhere. They can't keep everything.

I was just wondering what happened to them, back in the good old days of the National Theatre exhibition, one of mine was printed about 6' acroos, would have loved that!

Back