LR3 vs LR4

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm in the lucky position of being an OU student so I can purchase either of these. LR3 is 49.99 and LR4 is 59.99

Haven't done a lot of PP apart from playing a bit with CS4 I was given from a mate.

Before parting with my cash - opinions please.

Thanks in advance

Ruby

I do 95% of my PP in LR4. Wouldn't be without it.

Thanks for all the replies - reading the reviews on Amazon it can be a proper pain getting them to accept student credentials and supply a key code - will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again.

Good luck, will be interested to hear how you get on. I am in the same position as you and have been looking to purchase LR4, being enrolled with the OU.

Hope you get the key code without much hassle :)

I got the code straight away , just emailed them a copy of my teacher's pay slip and then they sent me the code. Only prob I have is that my computer will need an upgrade to windows 7 somI don't think I saved money!

If you have an NUS Extra card (which you can get as an OU student), you just send them a scan and a couple of days later you have your code. Never had a problem with Adobe honouring the student stuff to be fair, it just takes a couple of days to process.

I've known people just send the receipt for the course they are enrolled on (Adult Education classes) with no problems. Being on a higher level course, you shouldn't have any problems.

Always get the latest version of any software you can get, as Adobe particularly, stop supporting their old software with updates pretty quickly. :bang:

I bought the educational version from Amazon. Emailed scanned copies of my teacher payslip and had the code back in just a couple of hours. Did the same with lightroom and also only took a couple of hours. Was very straightforward.

With a difference of only £10 it's a 'no brainer' (I hate that expression) but don't forget that LR4 is 64 bit only, so it won't work on Windows XP, or 32 bit versions of Vista/Win7

For me, I have LR3, but it's another £60 to upgrade and having been using the trial for a day I can't see much difference. It does however feel a bit quicker.

Thanks for all the replies - reading the reviews on Amazon it can be a proper pain getting them to accept student credentials and supply a key code - will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again.

I bought my student and teacher edition LR4 direct from Adobe and had no problems getting them to accept my student ID.

Steelmagnet said:
With a difference of only £10 it's a 'no brainer' (I hate that expression) but don't forget that LR4 is 64 bit only, so it won't work on Windows XP, or 32 bit versions of Vista/Win7

Rubbish.

I use LR3 at the moment, could anyone tell me what is the differemce between LR3 and LR4 please??

fred

fred974 said:
I use LR3 at the moment, could anyone tell me what is the differemce between LR3 and LR4 please??

fred

The new develop settings are better, there now a map module for geolocation and a book module to creat photo books.

Apologies. I did the some research and looked at this page:

http://mansurovs.com/lightroom-4-vs-lightroom-3

The first system requirement row says that a 64 bit OS is required, and I assumed this meant the application was 64 bit only.

That bit is incorrect, but it is correct to say it does not work on XP. You'll need Vista or Windows 7. 32 OR 64 bit version.

As to the original question, I've recently gone from LR3 to LR4. While the difference is fairly small, I'd go with 4 no question. Not really used the major new things yet (video editing or photobook stuff), but the new basic Develop sliders seem to give better results easier and quicker than the old ones.

I have LR3 and am waiting until LR4.1 gets released. It's currently 4.1 RC.

Quite a lot of people have had problems with it being slower in V4 and there appears to be a major update in 4.1

Should be released soon though.

Back