Lr6 is it worth upgrading

Thanks for the link, it could come in handy, but I'm after opinions.

I've done it too. But I have a problem. If I try and edit an image in CS6 by using the "Edit in" option I get a message saying that I can't do it without installing Plug in 10.0. I've run that but it makes no difference. Anyone got an answer?

I went standalone 5 to 6 when it first came out. Quicker, dehaze and I figured if it was the last standalone then it put me at the right point for the future.

Looks like ver 10.0 might not be compatible with CS6

I am given three options
1. Open with Light room
2. Continue to CS6
3. Cancel

The first takes me to CS6 and I can edit as I wish, but don't know what it all means.

The second opens CS6 but doesn't import my image.

This happens if I use RAW or DNG files in LR.

It's PIA.

I use Photo Ninja and an old version of PSE for any additional editing so sorry not familiar with CS6
Does LR not provide sufficient editing features for your purposes?

No. There are times when I need more detailed editing facilities.

Looks like the usual business model from Adobe to keep us buying the next generation
Not familiar with the CS family, but guessing no CS7 and it then goes to the cloud collection.

Seem to recall this happened with PSE and later versions of ACR, fortunately LR fulfilled my needs with a couple of plug ins.

Last edited:
I am given three options
1. Open with Light room
2. Continue to CS6
3. Cancel

The first takes me to CS6 and I can edit as I wish, but don't know what it all means.

The second opens CS6 but doesn't import my image.

This happens if I use RAW or DNG files in LR.

It's PIA.

My edit settings for Photoshop are set to tif I think. I didn't get on with dng

No CS7. That series ended after CS6 when CC was introduced.

Thought it might do, so basically the latest version of ACR which LR6 uses is incompatible with CS6

Further research shows that the X-T2 requires ACR 9.6 or above to read the raf files. This is incompatible with CS6, so if LR6 is updated above ver 6.5 it becomes invalid with CS6.
Anything earlier though wouldn't open the raf files anyway, so heads you lose and tails has the same result.

They are doing their best to flog that cc package, surprised they just updated LR to include the latest cameras and phones.

Last edited:
But....LR5 would move DNG files across to CS6. LR6 won't. It must be something to do with the way LR6 does the conversion to DNG. I'll try converting outside of LR and importing them and see if they will then move over to CS6.

But....LR5 would move DNG files across to CS6. LR6 won't. It must be something to do with the way LR6 does the conversion to DNG. I'll try converting outside of LR and importing them and see if they will then move over to CS6.

LR5 used an earlier version of ACR which was compatible with CS6, probably 9.1
Guessing that's all tied in with the transfer of the DNG files too

Last edited:
Just tried with a DNG created using the external DNG convertor and previously dealt with in LR5.
When I try and edit in CS6 I get this message, which is the same as I get when processing RAW files straight from LR6...
Capture.JPG
If I click on Render using Lightroom the file opens in CS6 and I can process it normally. Click on Open Anyway gets CS6 open, but the picture isn't imported.

I've uploaded Camera Raw plug-in 10.0 and that makes no difference.

Looks like its all to do with CS6 and it not being compatible with ACR 10.0.

So LR5 and CS6 ok using ACR 9.1, but no support for raf files from XT2 and newer models.
LR6 and CS6 incompatible because the latter doesn't support ACR 10.0, but LR6 on its own reads raf files from XT2 etc

Reckon for full compatibility its got to be Adobe CC or use standalone LR6 on its own with another editing tool

That's a good summary. I can use CS6, it's just another button push.
Another example of the Adobe Tax.

Does render using lightroom take you straight into Photoshop bypassing CR or does it still open in CR?

Does render using lightroom take you straight into Photoshop bypassing CR or does it still open in CR?
If CR is Camera RAW then it by passes it. Goes straight to the editing page. Just what I want it to, but with one more button press. If it went to Camera RAW that would be a total no-no. I'm busy trying to find a way to set default export to the Render with Lightroom option.

Just found this which seems to explain what is going on.
Doesn't seem to be any setting that will make the option default, but it doesn't seem to be detrimental in any way.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/arti...m-and-open-anyway-in-the-acr-mismatch-dialog/

Seems to have replaced the drop down box with the option to open with Lightroom adjustmentts/Open original etc. So may not, in reality, mean anything in practical terms.

Last edited:
Phew, was going to scan all that in from my copy of the Lightroom Queen missing faq book, glad I didn't now

Thought I'd save you some work.
Now I've a better idea of what is going on I've come to the conclusion that nothing has really changed, it just works in a different way.

All that seems to be missing is the ability to take a file from LR, with no LR adjustments, into CS6. But why would you do that anyway?

Found some settings in Edit-Preferences-External Editing, but not sure what they do, mine is set up for Photoshop Elements as the default

Yup. I played around with them but couldn't see what I wanted.

Me neither, had a look in the LRQ book again, but doesn't seem to be anything else pertinent so its what it is I reckon

Looks like a bit of a mess to me, I think I'll stick with LR5 until I'm forced to move to cc. Thanks for the responses, quite illuminating.

If you think you might be going to upgrade your camera in the short/medium term, it might be worth upgrading to LR6.13, though.

There won't be any new updates to 6 from now onwards, and I'm not sure how long standalone 6 will be available. Was it till the end of the year? (

All that seems to be missing is the ability to take a file from LR, with no LR adjustments, into CS6. But why would you do that anyway?
When I click on Photos>Edit in>Edit in Elements, I am asked if I want to 1) edit a copy with Lightroom adjustments, 2) Edit a copy (Lightroom adjustments not visible) or 3) Edit Original (Lightroom adjustments not visible)

If you have Lightroom set up for CS6 as a secondary editor, you should get options 2) and 3) which do just what you say is missing.

Back