Lumix lx100 vs sony rx100

Name
thomas
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been looking at some comparison, even the picture quality compare to my 70d seems very close using the lab test in dpreview: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-lx100/12
So the question are:

-Which is easiest to use as a dslr: the lumix as all the nob required f/stop, shutter speed, iso, and even ratio. But it look like the sony will be equally easy with normal psam mode and a click wheel around the lens

-Which is best picture quality? Also the lumix use a micro 4/3 sensor it doesn't use it all and the picture from the sony seem equally good?

-The sony wins in pocket-ability

-The video, i don't really use it, the new sony rx100 mark iv as even insanely low motion capability but too me that a gimmick, i use camera to take pictures not for filming.

-The lumix doesn't have a flash and sometime that might be a bit of pain for indoor photography.

-Other plus for the lumix is due to the bigger sensor the shallow depth of field are likely coming out better that the sony

I'm torn, i really want a take everywhere camera, specially that i'm waiting for a baby to come in few months and the dslr is too big to carry around all the time, i'm no either interested by the mirroless camera, i'd like to stick to a dslr and had a compact to my bag!

Anyway seems like both sony rx100 and lumix l100 are amazing piece of kit. What would you recommend? I've overlook other brand canon, olympus, fujifilm which don't seems as strong contender?
To summarize, i need good picture, possibly good low light for indoor photo, and keeping the pleasure of dslr like control.

There the best two in my opinion, I went Rx100 3 over the Lx100 for the sole reason I wanted to learn Sony, I was already using the Fz1000

However I've sold the Sony after 2 months ownership ,reasons were, the EVF is poor it does the job, but if your using a Fz1000 its worlds apart. I do wish I'd have got the Lx100 to be honest.

If your looking at the mk4 Sony that may be a hard choice, using a stacked CMOS it's all new tech, and the pictures that come out of the Sony are very very good sharp it's fast and it's the only one that will fit in a tight pair of jeans, the Lx100 won't..

The 4k video is good being able to take shots from 4k is a great feature when wanting to capture everything...

If I had to buy again I'd go Lx100 but I'd probably spend a bit more and get Liecas version, exactly same model features, just Leica badge for pimpness lol

Both cameras are superb though and if it's down to size Sony all the way, but it's just too smal I find, if I'm going out anywhere I try take the do it all Fz1000 or my new Olympus EM5II

Thanks for your input Rob.
I'm thinking and think a lot about this. I think i want to buy the sony because of it's point and shot quality. The Lx100 looks great but it's quiet bigger and you have to use it like a dslr which mean not as easy to hand over to anyone else. But i've been wanting a rx100 for years. just thinking that i'll finaly get one soon.

Last edited:
I've had both I sold the LX100 as I wanted something more pocketable as I had changed to a Fuji setup. The RX100 is now my grab and go camera which I can just slip into my pocket takes great photos and is easy to use. Also at the moment Sony are doing Double the cashback. I bought a MK2 as in bright light it can be difficult to see so the tilt able screen helps.

The LX100 I really did love that camera but wanted to change from micro 4/3 to Fuji so had to sell it to fund the Fuji. It had so many controls an EVF a micro 4/3 sensor although it doesn't use the whole sensor. Low light it was fine and you can get some decent depth of field as well as macro. The camera does have a flash but one that you put on top of the hot shoe. I don't use video but it shoots 4k and you can obtain 8m stills from the video footage. It does have an intelligent auto button which you can press then just hand over to someone else and the camera will sort out the shot.

If you are looking at Size then the rx100 would be my choice if you want something like a proper camera with full manual controls then the lx100. It will fit in a jacket pocket but. Usually I carried a small bag with me anyway. If money was no object and I had to pick now I would pick the LX100.

Andy

The LX100 I really did love that camera but wanted to change from micro 4/3 to Fuji so had to sell it to fund the Fuji. It had so many controls an EVF a micro 4/3 sensor although it doesn't use the whole sensor. Low light it was fine and you can get some decent depth of field as well as macro. The camera does have a flash but one that you put on top of the hot shoe. I don't use video but it shoots 4k and you can obtain 8m stills from the video footage. It does have an intelligent auto button which you can press then just hand over to someone else and the camera will sort out the shot.
Andy
Shush! you're making the dilema come back to me!

If money was no object and I had to pick now I would pick the LX100.
If money was no object i would be crawling under camera, sony rx100 mark4, lx100, fuji xt100, sonyA7r....

Sorry handy i'm being a bit cheeky but thanks a lot for your input, you've made some great points there. I'm thinking of selling quiet a lot of my camera i have a 70d with a few lenses (tokina 11-16, sigma 30, sigma 17-55, canon 55-250). But was thinking moving to a sony rx100 as carry around and buy a 6d with a few cheap and light primes and keep the 100-400mark one I have. So not using anymore the dslr as a carrying around camera, actually as carry around camera i shoot film now olympus om 1 and nikon lf35 but sometime a pocket digital would be nice. I'm waiting for a baby and get a new job and i would really like the carry everywhere camera factor and get a full frame and prime for these "special photo".

The Canon 6d and RX100 are my two main cameras, they compliment each other perfectly. Just saying :)

The RX100 came into its own again this weekend where I attended a wedding as a guest (makes a change!) and I wanted to take the RX100 for memories. It didn't miss a beat, and while it will never take on the 6d in ultimate IQ and handling, it performed brilliantly!

...and it fitted nicely in my pocket :)

Last edited:
If your selling all your stuff then just buy a Fuji [emoji49]!!!!!

I did try fuji xt1 for a while but didn't like it enough, i loved the pictures but:
-the 55-200 was huge and no much option for long lengh so you end up with a big setut when using the lens
-the lens were expensive, and the fast zoom get really big and front heavy
-also just prefered mirror camera experience
-at the end you carry less that a dslr but you still carry lots

The Canon 6d and RX100 are my two main cameras, they compliment each other perfectly. Just saying :)

The RX100 came into its own again this weekend where I attended a wedding as a guest (makes a change!) and I wanted to take the RX100 for memories. It didn't miss a beat, and while it will never take on the 6d in ultimate IQ and handling, it performed brilliantly!

yes, i wish i was with that setup but i might start working toward this!

I know what you mean I have the xt10 which is tiny 16-50 and 50-230 both really light then the 18 and 35 primes so it's a light setup in a lowepro sling bag.

I'm torn, i really want a take everywhere camera, ...
I don't mean to annoy you but have you actually tried both cameras together in a camera shop?
Chalk and cheese!
The LX100 is a decent size and the RX100 (all versions) is TINY.
You would know immediately which one you preferred as they are so hugely different to each other in the flesh.

Can I please ask what settings you used with the RX100? Manual mode? Wide open? Minimum shutter speed to avoid people blur? ISO?

I only ask as I've failed miserably trying to use a pocket camera in these situations that usually creates an underexposed shot when trying to manually shoot say 1/160, F1.8 and ISO 800/1600 on a point and shoot. If a slower shutter is used then it is a blurred mess as usually someone can't keep still long enough.

I am looking for a small setup for these sort of family events whereby can actually capture something without it being a blurred mess.

Can I please ask what settings you used with the RX100? Manual mode? Wide open? Minimum shutter speed to avoid people blur? ISO?

I only ask as I've failed miserably trying to use a pocket camera in these situations that usually creates an underexposed shot when trying to manually shoot say 1/160, F1.8 and ISO 800/1600 on a point and shoot. If a slower shutter is used then it is a blurred mess as usually someone can't keep still long enough.

I am looking for a small setup for these sort of family events whereby can actually capture something without it being a blurred mess.
I used a whole plethora of settings! I'll post some up tomorrow which will have the settings on the Flickr page for you to have a look at? I mainly use aperture priority and adjust that and the ISO to depending on the light, dof I need and shutter speed.

The RX100 performs a lot better then pretty much any other compact out there.

Not sure if it's been mentioned already but the Sony stops down to f2.8 pretty quickly, whereas the Panny is more gradual.

I don't mean to annoy you but have you actually tried both cameras together in a camera shop?
Chalk and cheese!
The LX100 is a decent size and the RX100 (all versions) is TINY.
You would know immediately which one you preferred as they are so hugely different to each other in the flesh.

No and you're right, i haven't but where i live (orkney) i haven't got the choice. If i'm lucky i could find a shot in aberdeen which is 7 hours boat away but even that i'm not sure. I have two camera shop here, one is also the chemist with very limited choice and the other the print shop with similarly limited choice. But yes i would really love to get my hands on to have a feel for it. I love the life up here but for this kind of things it's really unpractical. And i have no idea when is my future trip south.

Not sure if it's been mentioned already but the Sony stops down to f2.8 pretty quickly, whereas the Panny is more gradual.

yes you're right and that partially what makes the lx100 interresting, it does totally beat up the sony on this specification
Equiv_Ap-001.png

@redlion - Ok, I can't sleep tonight for some reason so I'm processing the rest of my photos - as promised here are a few from yesterday. Please remember they're not supposed to be wedding masterpieces, just nice snapshots of friends for memories sake :) These were shot with the mk1 version; Sorry for the pic overload, as I said, can't sleep and I got a very good keeper rate!

17 by Jim, on Flickr
ISO 800, f/1.8, 1/30

28 by Jim, on Flickr
ISO 1600, f/3.5, 1/125

48 by Jim, on Flickr
ISO 200, f/2.5, 1/640

59 by Jim, on Flickr
ISO 200, f/5, 1/160

63 by Jim, on Flickr
ISO 400, f/4.9, 1/500

66 by Jim, on Flickr
ISO 400, f/3.2, 1/500

72 by Jim, on Flickr
ISO 400, f/4.5, 1/160

76 by Jim, on Flickr
ISO 400, f/3.2, 1/400

Last edited:
80 by Jim, on Flickr
ISO 400, f/5, 1/2000

92 by Jim, on Flickr
ISO 100 (for some reason?!), f/1.8, 1/40

103 by Jim, on Flickr
ISO 1600, f/4, 1/30

77b by Jim, on Flickr
ISO 200, f/3.2, 1/160

82 by Jim, on Flickr
ISO 200, f/5, 1/1250

88 by Jim, on Flickr
ISO 400, f/1.8, 1/160

Last edited:
Thanks for that jim. At least it looks like on every picture taken with the sony rx100 people smiles. That's a big plus that i'll factor in! But nobody catch the bunch of flower :-( so who's getting married next??? (do you even to the bunch of flower throwing in the uk or that a silly french thing?)

Thanks for that jim. At least it looks like on every picture taken with the sony rx100 people smiles. That's a big plus that i'll factor in! But nobody catch the bunch of flower :-( so who's getting married next??? (do you even to the bunch of flower throwing in the uk or that a silly french thing?)
No we do that too :). This was one of the bridesmaids bouquets rather than one that was thrown but I don't recall the bride throwing one during this wedding! I thought it was odd it didn't happen!

Thanks @odd jim I will take a look on the laptop later but on the phone they seem pretty much spot on for capturing moments. I'm actually surprised that some have been shot at slower shutter speeds and turned out well in the sense they aren't a blurred mess? I had always assumed you had to shoot a tad higher to avoid any motion and keep it sharp.

Thanks @odd jim I will take a look on the laptop later but on the phone they seem pretty much spot on for capturing moments. I'm actually surprised that some have been shot at slower shutter speeds and turned out well in the sense they aren't a blurred mess? I had always assumed you had to shoot a tad higher to avoid any motion and keep it sharp.
Not always, it depends wholly on subject movement of course and keeping the camera as still as possible! The RX100 does have a very effective image stabilisation as well which certainly helps.

Just realised I seemed to have deleted one of my favourites from the day off Flickr by mistake so I've re-inserted it (103).

Last edited:
Hi odd jim, just looked at these and you have captured some great images. The dynamic range of this camera looks really good.

Have you had to pp much to reduce highlights and to get such nice contrasty colours ?

The Sony RX100 IV certainly does look interesting - recently I was Canon DSLR, then M43 (Oly) now back to DSLR with Nikon and I could see that little fellow its its cool slow mo thing (great for the kids and me too if I'm honest) being a really interesting little carry round, plus the images from what I've seen on Flickr do look pretty nice.

I'll keep and eye on this and see how it develops.

Hi odd jim, just looked at these and you have captured some great images. The dynamic range of this camera looks really good.

Have you had to pp much to reduce highlights and to get such nice contrasty colours ?
Hi Gary, they were shot raw so I did do some PP, but no more (possibly even less) than when I'm shooting with my 6d. In the main, a bit of contrast, sharpening and just a tad of saturation. In a couple I added a very slight vignette but other than that it was fairly minimal.

Hi Jim

Thanks for getting back, in which case the RX100 really does impress ! RX100 looks like a much lighter alternative to the Canon set-up used by the official tog !

Just before getting barred from the Classifieds I just managed to pick-up JohnN's lovely Pano GX7 which I am loving. This will though end up with my daughter and she pops off back to uni in a couple of weeks so I am looking for a lightweight bit of kit for me.

You make a great case for RX100, thanks for posting your shots.

Like lots of people here I have the Nikon D750 and loads of other stuff for when weight is not an issue but it very frequently is.

So many great options out there !

Last edited:
Actually i may have changed my mind toward the panasonic. Just thinking that i'm not really a pocket camera kind of guy and i always have a rucksack or a jacket on and so the lx100 would still be on me at all time. Actually at the moment i have a nikon lf35 always in my bag and i guess they would be approximately the same size. Plus it's true the holding of the panasonic seems less fiddly and i think i would enjoy the switch for different ratio, i actually shoot film with some 35mm, some 645 and some 6x6 and i think that it is something i would really enjoy to emulate in camera and not in post on the computer, surely the sony as similar option? But likely hidden in a menu and not right on the lens just asking to be played with. Anyhow, i'm still debating but don't have the opportunity to go and try it in the shop.

It seems like the two company are fighting neck to neck on this one!
Sony have 100£ cash back till the 6th of september, which bring the sony rx100iii to 469£ (wex do offer the official case as an extra bonus).
Panasonic are also offering 100£ cash back till the 7th of september, so the lx100 come down to 489£

Last edited:
These may come in handy as they're both from the same guys.

Yes and also looking at 2nd hand or grey import there's really no much point, for 50£ more you can get a new one with warranty on your name

Last edited:
Actually the 2nd video you posted is about the sony mark iv so not relevant to me. But i did see the video from the same guys about the mark iii and they absolutly loved it. But it looks like they also absolutly loved the lx100 maybe even a bit better.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjVwF9qwaos

Video is really not my priority, i also saw a video showing how the sony mark iv get really hot when filming 4k and after 3x5minutes the camera was so hot it turned itself off but I can't find it anymore... But again to me great 4k, very slow mo and very fast no distortion electronic shutter are just gadgets. If i had really deep pocket i would maybe buy the mark iv just because it's newer but i think the mark iii is already a great bit of kit.

Still leaning toward panasonic lx100 for now.

Wasn't the overheating on the mk iii on 4k, I think it was mentioned at the end of the Panasonic LX video when they were comparing.

From what they were saying other than improve dynamic range theres not much in it between the mk iii Sony and the mk iv (if you take video out of the equation)

I had the same dilemma a few months ago and had settled on the Sony. Before pulling the trigger I went into a John Lewis one lunchtime to have a play with both and almost instantly changed my mind to the Panasonic.

They are undoubtedly awesome pieces of kit for the price and size but (for me) the Sony was too small. It just felt fiddly and awkward in my hands. I know you get get grips and skins etc to help with this but the whole layout just didn't feel right when I handled the camera. The Panasonic just did.

The main sacrifice I can see by going with the Panasonic is the size as it is defianately a jacket pocket / rucksack or cargo pants pocket. Just had a two week family holiday and sometimes pondered if having the Sony would have been better, but then remembered the tiny Sony in my hand. Having said that I also found myself browsing a few sites now the double discount is on but really can't justify both!

Appreciate you don't have the luxury of trying both before you buy but could you not (for example) buy both from Amazon - have a hold and comparison and return one ? Not sure how practical or costly the return would be.

I'm sure whichever you go with you wont be dissapointed :)

a post from another forum after my comparison trip :

So, just popped into JL in the Trafford Centre and had a play with both. Both are lovely cameras and not a hugely massive size difference in the flesh, but the Lumix is definitely not pocket material (the flash is, thankfully, detachable):

ZYGxGUf.jpg

So, first up the Sony, definitely small

5kIQqBQ.jpg

But also slightly awkward for my sized hands

15wp3Zn.jpg

To get to the back buttons on the right hand side moved the camera away from my palm and therefore had the camera in my finger tips almost, which really affected by grip

The Lumix is a bit bigger

IY2df8L.jpg

but felt a lot more sturdy in my hand and generally more comfortable maneuvering round the dials and buttons

kf32IoW.jpg

There were a few other niggles with the Sony such as the EVF having to be pulled up and away from the body and not sitting "right" when I took the camera to my eye (although, admittedly, that could be my face rather than the camera's fault :p)

And also a more technical size comparison :

Rvz2ioN.jpg

Last edited:
usability of both is pretty much identical, as in they both have the Iauto option Point and shoot, what i did find was the Sony had more of a success rate at Snapping than my FZ1000 so i would guess the LX100 would be the same.

Check out Panamoz online they do there MK4 for 640 is, i used them a few weeks ago, can't fault them, 3 year warranty ordered Monday came Thursday... China or not, i hate getting ripped off in the UK :)
Don't forget if you go sony the handle you see on the LX100 is extra money but worth to as its a bit slippery to hold.

http://panamoz.com/index.php/digital-cameras/sony/sony-cyber-shot-dsc-rx100-iv-digital-camera.html

2 year warranty on Sony.

FYI i did get money back from Olympus for the unit, even though its was from China, i would hope Sony may do the same, but id check.

Yeah the EVF on the Sony is a bit pants, it does a functional job, but i found it hard work, too small and wobbles, its also not as clear as you'd expect, and with glasses a real ballache.
id still go LX100 :) but if you have to have the sony go MK4 :)

...I'd still say go mk1, all that IQ in such a great package for only £240 :)

I had the MK1 and the pic quality was fine but the lack of EVF ruined it for me. I tried the MK3 but found the EVF to small. Not tried the MK EVF. How does the EVF compare to the LX100?

I'd be interested to hear any gripes about the EVF on the Mk III. My current pocket compacts are Fuji XF1s and might be dying! So, I may well be after a replacement or 2. For ME, pocketability is a must - I have an X30 as a small camera but it doesn't fit in a shirt pocket. Also interested to hear what SOOC large, fine JPEGs are like from it - the Fujis give me good A3+ prints with no PP (I loathe doing it!) so I would want similar levels of IQ from any replacement.

I'd be interested to hear any gripes about the EVF on the Mk III. My current pocket compacts are Fuji XF1s and might be dying! So, I may well be after a replacement or 2. For ME, pocketability is a must - I have an X30 as a small camera but it doesn't fit in a shirt pocket. Also interested to hear what SOOC large, fine JPEGs are like from it - the Fujis give me good A3+ prints with no PP (I loathe doing it!) so I would want similar levels of IQ from any replacement.
Im concerned that my previous experience was DSLR and currently an EM1 so my bar is a little high regarding EVFs. I just found the mk3 EVF so small and poor resolution.

I think I would be looking at the MK1, just got to sort my pennies out. I think I will go and handle the camera, just to see how I think it feels in my hands. I know its been mentioned above that its a little small in the hands, but I want a tiny camera as my hands have to do a good bit of juggling about :)

I'll have to have a hunt and a play when we get back. The Mk IV is just too expensive at £848 but I could just about justify the £519 (after cashback) of the III if/when the XFs die! BUT, there's also the Nikon P900 which I'm sure will drop from its current £499. I know it's not pocketable but that zoom range is still mighty tempting, IF the IQ is any good.

I think I would be looking at the MK1, just got to sort my pennies out. I think I will go and handle the camera, just to see how I think it feels in my hands. I know its been mentioned above that its a little small in the hands, but I want a tiny camera as my hands have to do a good bit of juggling about :)
I loved the quality of the rx100 and its so user friendly.

Back