Lunch

Definitely a Sparrowhawk George, they will take larger birds but most often smaller hedgerow/bird-table visitors.

Definitely a Sparrowhawk George, they will take larger birds but most often smaller hedgerow/bird-table visitors.

Many thanks for that, as I said I virtually know nothing about birds.

you may not know about birds but you can definatly photograph them excellently !! i wouldn't give up on them.

Thank you kindly, appreciate your reply.

Not bad for a ‘snapshot’! Who knows what you will get if you try. You do not need to know what the birds are, that will come and there are things to help which have a high degree of accuracy. Keep trying! TFS

Not bad for a ‘snapshot’! Who knows what you will get if you try. You do not need to know what the birds are, that will come and there are things to help which have a high degree of accuracy. Keep trying! TFS

Thank you kindly John, appreciate your reply.

Grats George it's a fine image there are those amongst us that would urge you forwards with birdz .

Buddy it is a male sparrow hawk he's called a "musket"............. he's much smaller than your female she is a "spar" .falconers terms George I kinda adore as I always wanted to fly BOP.

What is more fascinating is him taking down a gull !! See musket is much smaller than spar.so normally he hunts ickle birds and as their kids grow and get more and more demanding she gets freedom from brooding the eggs tiny kids etc and starts to hunt bigger stuff in the same patch as her fella. So she hunts a fresh set of species he hasn't touched

It's so clever how they have evolved to me George.

Loved this matey thanks for sharing it :cool:

I'll now evoke @Cobra......and Chris can tell you if the above waffle is a load of tripe or actually true.......and you should believe him not me he's the real deal I'm just a wanna be :LOL:

TFS George you spend ages replying here cool seeing a piccy from you(y)

stu

I'll now evoke @Cobra......and Chris can tell you if the above waffle is a load of tripe or actually true
Yep you pretty much summed it all up Stu.
TBH no one is more surprised than me that it was a gull.
They are pretty feisty, the likes of doves, blackbirds or LBJ's are usually taken.

Its tough to tell the species, but I'd hazard an educated guess that it's a "little gull"
Easily mistaken for a black head in flights, but smaller.
And these are roughly the size and weight of a musket.
6 oz & 10 ins in length.

Cracking image George.

Last edited:
Many thanks for that, as I said I virtually know nothing about birds.

Here you go George...:)

Here you go George...:)

Thank you kindly Robert, appreciate your reply.

Reactions: RIR
Back