Non UK Lyon & Huez areas of France

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all, does anyone have any knowledge of these areas and what's good for landscapes?

We're off to visit friends for a few days in each area near the end of March and I intend to take my kit and escape for some early mornings or late evenings!!

Huez is obviously in the Alps, but is it practical to get to a place where you can actually get a view / composition? We'll be in a small village to the North, just up the valley from Huez but this is probably the closest landmark.

I'm quite enjoying astro at the moment, what's it like for light pollution down there? Obviously some big cities and sizeable towns not too far away.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Alan

If you're referring to Alpe D'Huez, then you're on the doorstep of one of the most photogenic areas of the Alps in my eyes. You have the National Parc des Ecrins, La Grave, Col Du Lautaret all within a short drive.
Certainly light pollution will be evident from the villages and resorts, but if you head up the Lautaret Col, then you should be able to shoot with some nice dark skies that way. It's also a hotspot for Ibex there as well, which are amazing to see in the wild.
Briancon is a nice old town further down the valley, with some Vauban architecture there too.
I'd recommend getting up the lifts at La Grave for some of the best mountain scenery in that area, Barre des Ecrins is one of my favourites!

If you're referring to Alpe D'Huez, then you're on the doorstep of one of the most photogenic areas of the Alps in my eyes. You have the National Parc des Ecrins, La Grave, Col Du Lautaret all within a short drive.
Certainly light pollution will be evident from the villages and resorts, but if you head up the Lautaret Col, then you should be able to shoot with some nice dark skies that way. It's also a hotspot for Ibex there as well, which are amazing to see in the wild.
Briancon is a nice old town further down the valley, with some Vauban architecture there too.
I'd recommend getting up the lifts at La Grave for some of the best mountain scenery in that area, Barre des Ecrins is one of my favourites!

Thanks Matty, we are actually going to be staying in Vaujany, I didn't know the name when I posted earlier. These look quite achievable. Need to start planning my excursions [emoji16]

I've photographed Lyon twice. The city is very nice and there is a lot to do if you like architecture.

The old part of Lyon is, if memory serves, a UNESCO World Heritage Site with all the traboules (hidden passages).

rue-des-trois-maries-in-old-lyon-picture-id166206640

Ceiling of Notre Dame de Fourviere.
849-925.jpg

I've photographed Lyon twice. The city is very nice and there is a lot to do if you like architecture.

The old part of Lyon is, if memory serves, a UNESCO World Heritage Site with all the traboules (hidden passages).

rue-des-trois-maries-in-old-lyon-picture-id166206640

849-925.jpg
Thanks julian, my initial google searches of Lyon seemed to throw up only night time shots of a bridge, I was starting to get disheartened! Good to know there is an old city, the image link you shared looks very interesting.

849-925.jpg

Please don't take other photographers' work and upload it here. It's copyright infringement.

Please don't take other photographers' work and upload it here. It's copyright infringement.

I think you'll find that every photo I post is my own. I am a travel photographer and this is what I do.

The image you picked up on was taken with permission from Notre Dame de Fourvière.

Linking would be far better than uploading IMO, but if they're your images... your choice etc!

You also have the Lacets de Montvernier in the area, and a huge Resistance memorial at Rochetaillée on the road between Grenoble and Bourg d'Oisans.

Beautiful part of the world.

Back