M1 vs M2?

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
I’m thinking of getting a basic MacBook Air for when I’m travelling for work, does anyone know if the M2 is significantly better than the M1? Is it worth the extra £300?

I don't think there is too much difference between the processors, but the M2 comes in the new MBA body, which has MagSafe and the better webcam.

MagSafe can be a lifesaver when you need it; I'm so glad it's on my 14 inch MBP.

A better screen and GPU on the M2 may be of some significance if you're editing photos.

MacWorld has a rundown of the differences between the two

Thanks folks, much appreciated.

It isn't directly to your question Nick, but I just updated from my 2014 MacBook Pro (for sale on here, if anyone's interested) to the 2021 M1 16" version. For what I do (twitter, mail, browsing, photo PP with Capture One Pro), the speed improvement is completely unnoticeable. I was very pleased to have MagSafe (as with the old one), plenty of ports (as with the old one) and a SD slot (as with the old one)!

Of course, if you're using it to edit videos, that's a different ball game entirely! But MagSafe, that's a good thing. Don't think I'd pay £300 for it, though.

IIRC the 14" M2 512gb is slower than the 1TB

Used the 16 inch M1 pro for a couple of days, lovely laptop but it's a bit of a lump and best on a desk not your lap

I’m needing to replace my 2016 mbp that the screen is broken on and was set on the m2 air.
But I’m worried about the throttling, a lot of reviews said it’s actually worse than the m1 air for this.
Most say get 16gb ram and 512gb ssd but with these is really not much off the cost of a 14” m1 pro.

Finds it hard to find any real world reviews of people using it for every day and photo editing(don’t do video so won’t be taxed as much)

I know the screen especially is far better on the 14” and it will be used a fair amount for watching tv/movies but if the lowest spec m2 air can handle Lightroom as well or better than my 2016 i7 that would be fine and save me£600

I use both M1 Air and M1 Pro 14" MBP - the Air feels just as capable, Lightroom won't stretch either. M2 Pro is rumoured to be out this month too.

I use both M1 Air and M1 Pro 14" MBP - the Air feels just as capable, Lightroom won't stretch either. M2 Pro is rumoured to be out this month too.
Do you never have throttling issue in the air when batch loading or editing for a while..
Is your air lowest spec? Even LR recommend 16gb ram.
The reviews of the m2 all seem to say it’s usable but after 4/5min of sustained work it slows significantly.

I’ve also been looking at a 12.9 iPad Pro as it similarly seems to have no issues running LR noble which is now the same as the full version.

Some seem to love moving to an iPad full others say it can’t do everything a laptop can, but to be honest mine will mainly be for media, browsing and some photo editing I don’t really use it for much else.

M2 iPad Pro expected any day and as you said m2 pro this or next month

I have never noticed throttling on my M1 Air, although it does have 16GB, however, I have never heard the fans kick in on my M1 Pro MBP either.

I am using Lightroom CC Classic, which I imagine is even more resource hungry than Lightroom mobile. Personally, I hated using an iPad for any editing, I like to have the full power of a desktop operating system for file management etc.

I have never noticed throttling on my M1 Air, although it does have 16GB, however, I have never heard the fans kick in on my M1 Pro MBP either.

I am using Lightroom CC Classic, which I imagine is even more resource hungry than Lightroom mobile. Personally, I hated using an iPad for any editing, I like to have the full power of a desktop operating system for file management etc.
I think it’s only the 8gb version that’s the issue and with the m2 they removed the heat sink so it actually suffers worse than the m1

The file management is my big worry with the iPad as it’s mainly saved via CC., other than that with the latest update to LR it’s exactly the same as desktop versions, PS isn’t but it’s not something I use.

I’m not into my photography quite as much( though I would like to get back to it) and I’m just worried anothe £1800 on a laptop mainly used for media and surfing is over kill..funnily both my last two mbp lasted less than 5 years before dying and my wife’s air and macbook(the tiny 11ish one they had for a few years) are both still going after 8&6 years( be it very slow for the air)

I do slightly regret going for the 14" M1 Pro, as the much cheaper M1 Air is just as good. I think the M2 Air would be the sweet spot for a personal laptop.

I bit the bullet and went for the 13.” M2 MacBook Air, very pleased with it. Thanks for everyones help

Please let me know how u get on with running things like Lightroom
So far it’s running very well, it’s not been challenged so far but will post up my findings as I use it more. Will also load it up with photoshop and see how well it copes.

Have a m2 air arriving tue but still undecided on if I’m keeping or returning it.
Wife ordered it without telling me, from curry’s so is the base model.
And the more I look into it seems that the consensus is it’s really only useful for web browsing and media consumption.. even too many tabs open in. Crome people said resulted in beach balls,

Also looks like m2 pro won’t be until end of first quarter 2023 now so don’t expect much of a Black Friday sale there.
I’m still thinking the mbp is the best bet or iPad pro

Have a m2 air arriving tue but still undecided on if I’m keeping or returning it.
Wife ordered it without telling me, from curry’s so is the base model.
And the more I look into it seems that the consensus is it’s really only useful for web browsing and media consumption.. even too many tabs open in. Crome people said resulted in beach balls,

Also looks like m2 pro won’t be until end of first quarter 2023 now so don’t expect much of a Black Friday sale there.
I’m still thinking the mbp is the best bet or iPad pro
Did you keep the Air? By "m2 pro", I assume you meant macbook? If so, it's out now as I'm getting mine on Thursday.

Did you keep the Air? By "m2 pro", I assume you meant macbook? If so, it's out now as I'm getting mine on Thursday.

My wife decided to keep the air instead of returning it as my daughters air died and she gave her her old one.
Yes there’s an 13” m2 pro but it’s just the newer chip in old hardware.

I was talking in regards to a new 14/16” true MacBook Pro replacement, which will be held back until at least march next year.

Has anyone used the M2 air or pro in anger yet with big RAW files? I’ve got a z9 and D850 combo and I’m interested in how the air might handle the files as a portable editing machine whilst when I’m in the office I can use my windows desktop as the power house for large workflow editing.

Any insight is appreciated

Has anyone used the M2 air or pro in anger yet with big RAW files? I’ve got a z9 and D850 combo and I’m interested in how the air might handle the files as a portable editing machine whilst when I’m in the office I can use my windows desktop as the power house for large workflow editing.

Any insight is appreciated

I’ve got the M1 Pro not the M2 but it’s really fast even with image stacking R5 files hope that’s helpful

Back