M43, and why people are wrong about it

Sometimes I feel photography has lost its soul. It's become all about the technical exercises aiming for speed, low light performance and resolution and we have lost the ability to overcome obstacles and create.... I think people has become so obsessed with detail and resolution they have forgot to see the whole picture.
I think that depends where you are looking and whose work you are seeing. TBH when I look at photographs the last thing on my mind is how many megapixels the camera had or how big the sensor was. Or even if it was shot on film. And most of the time I'd be hard pressed to guess.

All those old photos with bags of soul oozing from their grainy depths were most likely shot using the latest tech of the day. ;)

I think that depends where you are looking and whose work you are seeing. TBH when I look at photographs the last thing on my mind is how many megapixels the camera had or how big the sensor was. Or even if it was shot on film. And most of the time I'd be hard pressed to guess.

All those old photos with bags of soul oozing from their grainy depths were most likely shot using the latest tech of the day. ;)

I said similar earlier on, that if gear was never mentioned on here, and there was no exif data ever shown in uploaded images, we'd rarely ever guess correctly the camera or lens used. We would simply judge the images as art, the way it should be.

Sometimes I feel photography has lost its soul. It's become all about the technical exercises aiming for speed, low light performance and resolution and we have lost the ability to overcome obstacles and create. I can't help remembering Capas D-day pictures and think if they would really be better if they where in focus, sharp and very detailed. No, the mood, fear, agony and confusion would be lost (at least to me) if they had been done with a modern digital camera. I think people has become so obsessed with detail and resolution they have forgot to see the whole picture.
Whilst this may be true in some cases I think there’s also a case that some people assume that people who are gear/tech obsessed don’t consider the art of photography like they used to do. There’s a place for both imo (y)

You equated a 4-5.6 lens to an f/8-11, this is where it started, and that is not the case when it comes to light gathering or those tele lenses would be useless for anything but hot sunny days for wildlife. Thankfully, they are, I used mine often for birds in the garden during winter, and could stop down to f/7.1 and not have to ramp the ISO very high. I'm not disagreeing with anything else
The point I was/am trying to make is that if you use a 4/3 sensor at the same ISO/SS/F-ratio as on a FF sensor then the images will not be "equivalent." The 4/3 sensor will have less total light and therefore be much noisier. Yes, the "exposure" will be the same... but that's not the only factor of "equivalence." If you want a lens that can generate an "equivalent image" on a smaller sensor it must be used at a wider aperture.

There is a reason I own a 2/3 sensor camera, but it is a compromise. There is a reason I own a 1" system, but it is a compromise. There is a reason I own a 20MP FF camera, but it is a compromise. And there is a reason I own a 36MP FF camera... and it is also a compromise.
But when the situation permits optimal use/settings, the 36MP FF camera is the least compromise of image quality (that's not that often for me).

I'm not putting the 4/3 system down... if I thought it was crap I would be really stupid to own 2/3 and 1" cameras. And I don't care a lot about equivalence... i.e. I don't necessarily need super shallow DOF, I can blur the BG to oblivion in other ways.
But you purported crop factor to be a significant advantage, and it really is not. It is a compromise that results in a reduction of total light and IQ. Just as a TC is a reduction of light/IQ. Using a longer/slower lens is a loss of light/IQ. Cropping a larger image is a loss of light/IQ. And using a very expensive longer lens is also a compromise ($$$$/weight). The real issue is not being able to get close enough to use a high quality shorter FL lens... everything else is a compromise of some sort. Can it be "good enough?" Sure... I use all of the options at various times.

I said similar earlier on, that if gear was never mentioned on here, and there was no exif data ever shown in uploaded images, we'd rarely ever guess correctly the camera or lens used. We would simply judge the images as art, the way it should be.
I judge/evaluate/critique images all the time and I can usually tell if the image was taken with a crop sensor or MF, and even if it was recorded as a jpeg rather than converted into one. All I need is the settings/FL used and a high resolution image to evaluate...
Does that matter if it's going to be put online as a 2MP reduction? Probably not...

Last edited:
Numbers not being my thing doesn't make me wrong,
How do you know? Equivalence is all about numbers, and actually, it does make you wrong.

or doesn't mean I don't understand when I need to,
You do need to, but you don't.

I just don't like math, simple.
You make it sound like a virtue.

It doesn't matter what anyone's opinion is either,
Except yours...

you can't argue with light. There's no argument, in fact this is about the best discussion that's happened in this thread. I haven't said anyone was wrong, just I see it differently, went to find an article that explained how I see it, found one instantly so there's something to it obviously.
That sounds very like an argument.

2.8 is 2.8 no matter the sensor in terms of light gathering.
No, it isn't. The same in terms of light gathering per sq mm, but total light gathered depends on total sensor area (as previously explained).

I've not been convinced here of anything else I didn't already know.
You might think you already know, but that's because you don't get the maths.

We've just established that we all agree on the change in DOF and light gathering in relation to ISO but we seem to disagree that aperture values should be doubled in terms of aperture light gathering on the smaller sensor, nothing more.
If you accept one, then the other follows automatically - if you understand equivalence properly.

Nobody discusses this when it comes to APSC, which also has a crop factor. It tends to only crop up in relation to M43 for whatever reason
Absolutely they do. Equivalence applies to any change in format, though with APS-C vs FF the difference is only a bit over one stop rather than two stops vs M4/3 so less significant.

If you're going to disagree on technical matters of physics, it helps to be on pretty solid ground. Don't argue and antagonise from a position of ignorance, say I don't understand and you might learn something.

Last edited:
I judge/evaluate/critique images all the time and I can usually tell if the image was taken with a crop sensor, and even if it was recorded as a jpeg rather than converted into one. All I need is the settings/FL used and a high resolution image to evaluate...
Does that matter if it's going to be put online as a 2MP reduction? Probably not...

Many of my pictures now are reduced to 1000 pixel wide and saved as quality 8 in CS5 and then electronically zapped off around the world by my Mrs. Actually when looking at pictures on my pc I often forget what gear I used.

If you're going to disagree on technical matters of physics, it helps to be on pretty solid ground. Don't argue and antagonise from a position of ignorance, say I don't understand and you might learn something.

Man you were doing ok now you're just back to being boring and trying to have a go. I have no interest in at this stage, seems you came in just for more know it all bs. I'm learning nothing from you that's for sure, you haven't changed my mind on anything. You are now arguing with yourself as rest of us dropped this ages back. You are in fact the only person here attempting to "antagonise" Unless it'll keep you awake at night why are you even keeping this going? Why does it matter so much to you what I think?

Save time with the multi quotes. I'll 'argue' whatever way I like btw, it's my post style - there was no actual argument here until now, it was more a debate and I have only disagreed with one thing. I didn't savage anyone for it, I didn't slag anyone off or nit pick at their post style. We're done with it, you can spiel off a pile of BS to yourself if it pleases you, but you will never teach me anything because your manner stinks and you're terrible at trying to push a point.

I found something to back me up on how I see it back there too, if you were paying attention, maybe read it and you might learn something. Now if you want my attention just say so, Others have said similar to me right here, but you're not quoting or having your usual little pops at them, funny that. Maybe it's your little mini mission? to try change my mind or convince me you're dead right or something weird and unimportant, but rest of us seem done with it we had our say and it was all grand until you tried to stir it yet again

Last edited:
I judge/evaluate/critique images all the time and I can usually tell if the image was taken with a crop sensor or MF, and even if it was recorded as a jpeg rather than converted into one. All I need is the settings/FL used and a high resolution image to evaluate...

I said no data and I doubt you could tell if all the images were cropped to the same ratio

Last edited:
The point I was/am trying to make is that if you use a 4/3 sensor at the same ISO/SS/F-ratio as on a FF sensor then the images will not be "equivalent." The 4/3 sensor will have less total light and therefore be much noisier. Yes, the "exposure" will be the same... but that's not the only factor of "equivalence." If you want a lens that can generate an "equivalent image" on a smaller sensor it must be used at a wider aperture.

There is a reason I own a 2/3 sensor camera, but it is a compromise. There is a reason I own a 1" system, but it is a compromise. There is a reason I own a 20MP FF camera, but it is a compromise. And there is a reason I own a 36MP FF camera... and it is also a compromise.
But when the situation permits optimal use/settings, the 36MP FF camera is the least compromise of image quality (that's not that often for me).

I'm not putting the 4/3 system down... if I thought it was crap I would be really stupid to own 2/3 and 1" cameras. And I don't care a lot about equivalence... i.e. I don't necessarily need super shallow DOF, I can blur the BG to oblivion in other ways.
But you purported crop factor to be a significant advantage, and it really is not. It is a compromise that results in a reduction of total light and IQ. Just as a TC is a reduction of light/IQ. Using a longer/slower lens is a loss of light/IQ. Cropping a larger image is a loss of light/IQ. And using a very expensive longer lens is also a compromise ($$$$/weight). The real issue is not being able to get close enough to use a high quality shorter FL lens... everything else is a compromise of some sort. Can it be "good enough?" Sure... I use all of the options at various times.

I didn't purport anything other than my opinion, I went through the reasons why I both like and dislike the system . It is helpful for wildlife, and no, it doesn't get less light than the same apertures on bigger sensors I have tested this myself, which I have explained earlier. Like I said, you can't argue with light. And you can't make this some righteous uppity debate to look more know it all like hoppy there, light is light, 2.8 aperture is 2.8 no matter and all the lordy bs quoting and disagreeing in the world isn't ever changing that.

That's a shame... even after nearly 40yrs with photography I still occasionally learn new things. I guess there's no point in wasting any more time on you...

I learn new stuff everyday, I am always willing when it's coming from reliable sources.
If you were paying attention that post was for Hoppy, he is just ranting now and trying to start an argument, like I said, it was going so well. I think there's proof enough it's not me who starts the BS here

You don't seem to want to learn on this one yourself after you had it wrong or phrased it wrong to begin with. I had already agreed with you on everything bar the light gathering, we're not changing that as it's how it is. So I'm not sure what you are telling me I should learn from you? We disagree on one thing out of a handful

There's nothing happening here now only people trying to prove me, specifically, wrong, for the sake of it. Because all points have been made already. But you still cannot argue with light.

Last edited:

Yes maybe but as I see it most if not all the iconic photographs still mentioned are from the last century. Each year (or is it month) more pictures are taken than the first half of last century (IIRC) still somehow we fail to produce something truly significant and very few contemporary artists are really up there with the iconic ones.

...very few contemporary artists are really up there with the iconic ones.
They might be in fifty years though. Time adds a different perspective to how we judge pictures. There have always been millions of photos taken. The difference is that before the internet we only got to see a curated selection. Now we see an endless stream of unfiltered pictures which we have to try to filter ourselves.

Yes maybe but as I see it most if not all the iconic photographs still mentioned are from the last century. Each year (or is it month) more pictures are taken than the first half of last century (IIRC) still somehow we fail to produce something truly significant and very few contemporary artists are really up there with the iconic ones.

They might be in fifty years though. Time adds a different perspective to how we judge pictures. There have always been millions of photos taken. The difference is that before the internet we only got to see a curated selection. Now we see an endless stream of unfiltered pictures which we have to try to filter ourselves.

^^^ this. I think nostalgia plays a part at times, and I can fall into the trap of thinking that a shot looks more iconic or is more powerful etc just because it was shot on film. If you study the image rather than the format modern photos are probably equally as iconic or powerful, but they don't look it at first as they are too 'clinical' and don't have the wonderful 'haziness' of pictures of old. I think in years to come there'll be some photos of the last 10 years or so that will be deemed equally iconic.

I recognized the direction...

You are still confusing "exposure" with actual (total) light collection... you seem to refuse to understand/learn.
You still confuse the idea that you should double the values for aperture. Guess we're both stubborn . End of the day does it matter to your final images? I'm a photographer not a scientist or mathematician. I don't actually need to know the physics behind it, we are not all interested in numbers and we do not need to fully understand it despite what those who are into all that say. I'm sure there are plenty of dyslexic photographers who do just fine not reading forums or worrying about equivalence.

Last edited:
I think in years to come there'll be some photos of the last 10 years or so that will be deemed equally iconic.

I pretty much said this on the previous page :D Only I said 50, but yeah even in 10 years the images from today will seem to have more character. Who knows what the trend will be by then though, I dread to think, since it's a vloggers world now, they get to dictate how cameras are being made already

I've found one aspect where M43 is not as good as FF.

When I use my T2 mount slide duplicator on M43 it's zoomed in too much so I can't copy the whole slide.

(I may look out for a cheap D700 just for this purpose)

I've found one aspect where M43 is not as good as FF.

When I use my T2 mount slide duplicator on M43 it's zoomed in too much so I can't copy the whole slide.

(I may look out for a cheap D700 just for this purpose)

Have you tried switching it to 3:2?

I always shoot 3:2 but it has nothing to do with image ratio.

It's because any lens (FF) on M43 becomes double the length, i.e. zoomed in 100%

So if the slide duplicator is a 50mm lens it becomes 100mm on M43 (and would be 75mm on a Nikon crop body)

I always shoot 3:2 but it has nothing to do with image ratio.

It's because any lens (FF) on M43 becomes double the length, i.e. zoomed in 100%

So if the slide duplicator is a 50mm lens it becomes 100mm on M43 (and would be 75mm on a Nikon crop body)

Use a 25mm? I will admit I have never shot slides, just thinking how you could get around it.

A slide duplicator is a fixed focal length lens with a slot in the front for holding the slide you want to copy.

There is no way around the issue except to use a full frame body.

I pretty much said this on the previous page :D Only I said 50, but yeah even in 10 years the images from today will seem to have more character. Who knows what the trend will be by then though, I dread to think, since it's a vloggers world now, they get to dictate how cameras are being made already

I think we will soon be in a world where we can shoot any focal length, aperture etc and then choose how we want the photo to look after the event. We're already seeing dual lenses on smartphones giving the 'effect' of shallow DOF that most people are being wowed by (I cringed the other day when my wife said she wants one of the new phones that makes photos look like mine, referring to the shallow DOF). We've got Panasonic's DFD and we've had Lytro cameras for a while. IMO it's only a matter of time before these things are implemented in phones and consumer compacts meaning that anyone can get the so called 'professional look' from any old snapshot. Yes the sensors will still be small, but in a world where the majority just want to share images on the web sensor size will have little importance to them.

I think we will soon be in a world where we can shoot any focal length, aperture etc and then choose how we want the photo to look after the event. We're already seeing dual lenses on smartphones giving the 'effect' of shallow DOF that most people are being wowed by (I cringed the other day when my wife said she wants one of the new phones that makes photos look like mine, referring to the shallow DOF). We've got Panasonic's DFD and we've had Lytro cameras for a while. IMO it's only a matter of time before these things are implemented in phones and consumer compacts meaning that anyone can get the so called 'professional look' from any old snapshot. Yes the sensors will still be small, but in a world where the majority just want to share images on the web sensor size will have little importance to them.

My missus went through the whole phase of taking selfies and throwing a smoothing filter over them to make her seem younger/prettier ... but she could never hide from the images I shot and upped of her :D she admitted one day though that she preferred the more natural look of my images, they were more life like as well as having a more 'professional' feel. She started using those for her profile pics instead. She has a vague interest in photography, she just picks up on a lot of stuff I ramble on about, she knows how to frame a shot, she understands aperture, ISO and SS - she just gets irritated trying to work them all together :D I have bought her cameras over the years [I'd buy for her, but really they would be 'my' side cams ;) ] - Got her an Rx100, X100s, X10 ... but they always ended up spending more time in my bag before selling on. She likes the results, but still prefers just using the phone for convenience. I like to think that will continue, the masses will prefer to use their phones but they will still appreciate higher quality images. And they still won't care if we use FF or M43 :D

My missus went through the whole phase of taking selfies and throwing a smoothing filter over them to make her seem younger/prettier ... but she could never hide from the images I shot and upped of her :D she admitted one day though that she preferred the more natural look of my images, they were more life like as well as having a more 'professional' feel. She started using those for her profile pics instead. She has a vague interest in photography, she just picks up on a lot of stuff I ramble on about, she knows how to frame a shot, she understands aperture, ISO and SS - she just gets irritated trying to work them all together :D I have bought her cameras over the years [I'd buy for her, but really they would be 'my' side cams ;) ] - Got her an Rx100, X100s, X10 ... but they always ended up spending more time in my bag before selling on. She likes the results, but still prefers just using the phone for convenience. I like to think that will continue, the masses will prefer to use their phones but they will still appreciate higher quality images. And they still won't care if we use FF or M43 :D
But that was my point, I think the lines will blur and phones etc will give that higher quality look,...... to the untrained eye.

But that was my point, I think the lines will blur and phones etc will give that higher quality look,...... to the untrained eye.

I think it's a long time yet before phone cameras really catch up. They are mostly still atrocious for low light. For non pixel peepers i.e, anyone who doesn't frequent forums like this :D shots from these phone cams can indeed look fine, but I think people still notice the difference. Even when I upload simple snap shots of the kids to FB I get people asking what camera I use, or commenting that my photos always have more 'pop' than others. Of course a lot of that might be down to your composition and how you process, but I still think it's a long while before phones match the kind of depth and contrast you get even from a good compact camera.

I think it's a long time yet before phone cameras really catch up. They are mostly still atrocious for low light. For non pixel peepers i.e, anyone who doesn't frequent forums like this :D shots from these phone cams can indeed look fine, but I think people still notice the difference. Even when I upload simple snap shots of the kids to FB I get people asking what camera I use, or commenting that my photos always have more 'pop' than others. Of course a lot of that might be down to your composition and how you process, but I still think it's a long while before phones match the kind of depth and contrast you get even from a good compact camera.

Images with +85 clarity WILL have pop!

:D

TBH it surprises me how few people can tell the difference between a shallow DOF shot taken with a FF f1.8 lens and one taken with a phone to give the same look :eek:

TBH it surprises me how few people can tell the difference between a shallow DOF shot taken with a FF f1.8 lens and one taken with a phone to give the same look :eek:

They are probably the same people who spend £1000 on the highest end phone and then boast "My phone can do that!" - then you remind them your whole set up costs less and won't be out-dated within a month :p

They are probably the same people who spend £1000 on the highest end phone and then boast "My phone can do that!" - then you remind them your whole set up costs less and won't be out-dated within a month :p

Ah but you try to play Candy Crush Saga on M43

Although there are some here that would recommend FF for that, not a silly little camera

Ah but you try to play Candy Crush Saga on M43

Although there are some here that would recommend FF for that, not a silly little camera

Isn't Candy crush in portrait orientation? M43 loses less pixels when cropping to that :D

I haven't played a game on my phone in over a year I think, might be why the screen is still intact!

You still confuse the idea that you should double the values for aperture.
Equivalence is about creating an "equivalent image" in all aspects, to include ISO noise. If you accept that the relative aperture to sensor size affects the resulting noise, then you must realize that the aperture has to be factored for equivalence... they are the same thing.
End of the day does it matter to your final images? I'm a photographer not a scientist or mathematician. I don't actually need to know the physics behind it, we are not all interested in numbers and we do not need to fully understand it despite what those who are into all that say.
Yes, it matters... because it affects the results. For instance the 100-300 you mentioned delivers not more than ~ 6MP on a 21MP 4/3 sensor (E-M1 MkII), and it can only deliver that much at 100/5.6... it only gets worse from there. There are a lot of reasons for that which include sensor size (MTF), pixel size (diffraction), and ISO noise (discernible detail).

Does that really matter? That depends on what you actually need. Do you need to know that? No, probably not; as long as it is delivering at least as much as you need. Would I use such a combination? Yes, probably... I'm pretty certain my Nikon1 V2 with it's CX 70-300mm isn't a lot better. But would I use it professionally? Not a chance...

Back