M5 Photoshoot - Advice Needed!

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I've been asked to photograph an M5 so am looking for advise. Essentially I'm a total noob when it comes to cars.

Kit available to me - 5D, 430EXii, 24-105, 70-200 2.8, 85 1.8

I'm pondering on the idea of hiring a TS+E lens (90mm perhaps?) though I have never used one before and presume I also need a tripod?

Obviously I'm looking through Google image searches etc but any input at all - settings (i.e. where), lighting, time of day, and in particular technique i.e. focal length, f-stops etc would be *very* gratefully received (y)

Last edited:
I can't give any advice from personal experience, but maybe this would be interesting to watch....

[youtube]g-zRgIny9Uc[/youtube]

Where to start, the basics are fairly simple
clean background
Make sure the car is clean
Where possible remove the tax disk/ window stickers (not always possible)

Location wise, always shoot on tarmac nothing looks worse than a performance car sat on grass. Scout a head, google street view is a good place to start , then something like sun seeker app (iphone) is a great way to make sure that the sun is going to work for you.

Time wise early evening is probably going to give the nicest results (although with the current weather its going to be a gamble) , a low sun can give a really nice texture to your images , don't be afraid to shoot into it as well

car-photographer-045-900x600.jpg

Cars are all about movement their sole purpose in life is to move from one place to the next its all ways good to try and get some movement in the images , use a slow shutter speed and try panning to get some movement into your images.

Equipment

Personally I think some of the nicest ways to shoot cars are on a long lens, If I can I will reguarlly use a 300mm f2,8 or even if space allows the 500mm f4. this allows you to really compress the background and get the car to 'pop' out of it surroundings.

For details I'd use the 85mm its a great lens for nice close up details shots, if you have some extension tubes to use with it, even better.

Think thats pretty much it in a nutshell.
Here are some recent shoots I've done if your looking for ideas.
SLS-RS6 Road Trip
detriot Steel
Also feel free to plunder ideas from my automotive photography portfolio

Any questions by all means just ask.

Back