Beginner MA Adjustment - Advice needed

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I was going to MA all my lenses but was just curious as the best way to go about it.
There is a million and one thing on the web about it granted but is there a tried and tested method?
I currently have the Focal software program but I heard there targets were garbage so I am intending on using my Spyder lenscal as the target as I believe that might give a more accurate reading.
What is your thoughts on this?
Also would you do MA in RAW or Jpeg? The D800 I use is 36 meg Raws.
If you use jpeg what are you setting your in camera settings to? eg: Sharpness etc
Thanks

Last edited:
I think the best advice is that unless you are specifically seeing a very obvious problem it's best left alone.

If ALL your lens need MA then you probably have a bigger problem.. if they dont then you may make matters worse.. leave well alone unless you can actually see a problem in ALL lenses..

If all the lenses are out then perhaps it is your camera which is way out of normal adjustment.

I'm a Canon shooter and my 1DsIII bodies have two adjustments - one which affects all lenses (if the whole sensor is out), all I can set lens by lens.

I set each lens individually. I've found the Focal software worse than useless after wasting many hours with it. I now use the LCD-circles technique - you point the camera at a laptop screen with a pattern of circles on it - when it is perfectly focussed then on Live view you can see a strong interference pattern with lots of circles within circles.

I keep adjusting the lens until I can't increase the circles by manually refocussing after the camera has autofocussed.

Last edited:
Back